Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2010, 10:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default VGA thermal compound

Hi all, what sort of quality is the compound that comes with video cards these days? I recently got a EVGA gtx 470, is it difficult/worth it to replace the stock paste?

I'm also thinking of replacing the stock compound that came with my hyper 212. Can I kill two birds with one thermal compound stone?
Old October 7, 2010, 11:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yes you can replace it. You don't have any separate ramsinks and everything is screwed on.
It's not too difficult to change the paste, just make sure you remember where the screws go. I replaced the stock compound on my radeon 3870 and 4850. Unfortunately, I can't speak as to the effectiveness of the stock compound since I did my 4850 before I even used it and I haven't used my 3870 since I replaced the compound.

Just one more note, the ram will likely have thermal pads as opposed to thermal paste. Due to the spacing, you won't be able to replace them unless you buy new thermal pads. But that's fine since the ram will certainly not get as hot as the GPU. Just make sure the pads stay aligned when you put the heatsink back on.

I used AC MX-2 for both my CPU and GPU. Pretty good stuff, plus it's not electrically conductive so no worries with shorts. Better than AS5 from what I have read, but I haven't tested them myself.

As for if it is worth it?
Maybe 1-3*C difference, depending on the effectiveness of what you have now. I thought the hyper 212 came with good stock stuff though.
For me, it's always worth it, even if just to see if there is a difference. But I think on average the gains will be minor. And if you are overheating severely, you might consider an aftermarket cooler for the 470 or better case ventilation.
Old October 7, 2010, 05:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The issue is really the quality of the application, not the paste itself. With most GPUs it's hit or miss; some might come from the factory with a pretty good application and some might have too much or too little paste. If your temps are fine as it is then there's not really any point, but if you want to improve them a bit then pop off the cooler and put on some new paste.
Old October 7, 2010, 06:14 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

my 460 hawk came with what looked like just the right amount of past, a tiny bit leaked over the sites but perfectly reaching the corners. I replaced it with mx-2, I did it twice. It most definitely didn't reach the corners, it only overflowed a bit on one side (I don't think it really matters anyways since the core is in the middle). It improved my temperatures 4*C anyways. Usually the biggest issue with cards today is cooling the vrm/memory on cards such as the 460 that don't have heatsinks there.