Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2010, 02:42 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRon65 View Post
Honestly its working like a champ. I replaced the 750w with the Apevia 1100W and it really looks and feels solid man. I've had other enermax products that didn't have the look and feel of this one even though the performance was top notch. The Apevia is whisper quiet, the internal components and housing appear generally well made. It was a breeze to install and the damn thing even has a button you can push to change colors to suit your rigs color scheme.
I don't claim to be a PSU expert but the reviews I read on this unit were superb! Have a look urself.

Apevia ATX-WA1100W Warlock 1100-Watt ATX Power Supply - SLI and Crossfire Ready, 135mm Fan, Clear Sides at TigerDirect.com

So far...im satisfied.
Unless you're an electrical engineer or at the very least a very knowledgeable hobbyist, you aren't qualified to judge the quality of that PSU. No offense, but no matter how good it looks, it is still a low-quality PSU. And those reviews are completely meaningless. I would never run one of my own PCs off that PSU and neither should you.
Old October 6, 2010, 02:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry but 1100W in a normal ATX PSU housing simply isn't feasible. There's no way this unit can output 4x30A 12V rails and 1100W. Maybe, just maybe, it can do 1100W peak for <1ms. But it'll never hold 1100W. I'd be amazed if it could hold 500W.

Honestly for the longevity of your computer, I'd strongly recommend getting a better, higher-quality PSU in there. Corsair, Antec, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling are brands I'd recommend.
Old October 6, 2010, 02:44 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Sorry but 1100W in a normal ATX PSU housing simply isn't feasible.
The size isn't an issue. It's perfectly possible to build an 1100W PSU into a casing that size. However, that doesn't make this PSU any good.
Old October 6, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRon65
Honestly its working like a champ. I replaced the 750w with the Apevia 1100W and it really looks and feels solid man. I've had other enermax products that didn't have the look and feel of this one even though the performance was top notch. The Apevia is whisper quiet, the internal components and housing appear generally well made. It was a breeze to install and the damn thing even has a button you can push to change colors to suit your rigs color scheme.
I don't claim to be a PSU expert but the reviews I read on this unit were superb! Have a look urself.

Apevia ATX-WA1100W Warlock 1100-Watt ATX Power Supply - SLI and Crossfire Ready, 135mm Fan, Clear Sides at TigerDirect.com

So far...im satisfied.

Unless you're an electrical engineer or at the very least a very knowledgeable hobbyist, you aren't qualified to judge the quality of that PSU. No offense, but no matter how good it looks, it is still a low-quality PSU. And those reviews are completely meaningless. I would never run one of my own PCs off that PSU and neither should you.
Personally I'd be doing a large arc around a PSU that states 1.1 kW for $100........good enough clue for for me to stay away....thiers a reason why Quality PSU aren't cheap cheap....Corsair, ST, PC P&C are solid in my books!!

Old October 6, 2010, 06:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The size isn't an issue. It's perfectly possible to build an 1100W PSU into a casing that size. However, that doesn't make this PSU any good.
Hahaha guess I should of been more specific. Maybe, just maybe, it can output 1100W, but definitely not properly regulated to allow the PC to work well. Perhaps as an added bonus it'll set your house on fire too!
Old October 6, 2010, 07:02 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Hahaha guess I should of been more specific. Maybe, just maybe, it can output 1100W, but definitely not properly regulated to allow the PC to work well. Perhaps as an added bonus it'll set your house on fire too!
Okay, let me be more specific then. It's perfectly possible to build a good PSU into a casing that size. Keep in mind there's a 135mm fan in that thing. It's about the same size as most modern 1kW PSUs. Again, it's not a good PSU, but the size has nothing to do with that.
Old October 6, 2010, 07:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Okay, let me be more specific then. It's perfectly possible to build a good PSU into a casing that size. Keep in mind there's a 135mm fan in that thing. It's about the same size as most modern 1kW PSUs. Again, it's not a good PSU, but the size has nothing to do with that.
Aren't most decent 1kW PSUs longer than ~140mm though? HX1000 is 200mm long with a 140mm fan for example. I guess theoretically speaking though, it's possible to build a high-quality 1.1kW PSU into a ~140mm case, it's just yet to be done (?) and Apevia surely isn't the one who's going to pull it off.

Either way, this Apevia is bad news and that's the point I'm trying to make.
Old October 6, 2010, 07:52 PM
Banned
F@H

i guess,talking about good units, its cheaper to build large than to cram everything in a smaller case and still be able to do gold or silver at a certain temp.

still, curious to the oem on that one. ul numeroski pretty plz!