Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Video Card Monopoly!

The problem we serious gamers and other video enthusiasts have in wanting a 'Super Card' is simple. There are only two brands available. Period. When you have no real competition and no "real' control over thier prices, we the buyers are at thier mercy. With the technology easily available today,we should have much much better. Look at what they are able to do making movies. And they have been doing it for a long time. Until another manufacturer or maybe even two enter the fray,there will be no motivation for Nvidia or Radeon to give us better products and support.Drivers etc. If you think about it, we can't even boycott. I don't have a lot of money to invest in a new company. but what little I do put away,I would put into a new Video Card market. I would do it in a heart beat. There is a whole bunch of money to be made in a market dominated by only two. Oh well. Who knows.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old September 29, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So lets see.. ATI and NVIDIA aren't enough to saturate the (random percentage) 20% of computer users who require a discrete video card in their system? And that number is only going to drop as more and more people transition into integrated graphics and integrated graphics get better and better. Intel holds the most market share thanks to their integrated graphics being in (random percentage) 80% of computers sold today. Plus more and more people are transitioning to notebooks and not buying desktops anymore because they're cheap, fast, and can do pretty much what the average user gets done.

Imo, be glad there's ATI and NVIDIA. The competition they provide to us consumers is already very good. Like $140 for a ATI 5770 or GTS 450, what more do you want?

And why didn't you complain about the CPU market? It's dominated by only Intel and AMD. Sure there are other companies like IBM, but I haven't heard much about them releasing CPUs to us consumers, assuming they still produce CPUs.

I swear this post failed >.>
Old September 29, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Personally I'd like to see a fourth player...or at least a third serious GPU player. Intel's offerings are getting better every year but they are still a joke. :(

The more competition the BETTER!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 29, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

.. wow. Just wow. I can't even comment.

you realize movies are pre-rendered over hours of time using millions of dollars worth of equipment, right?
Old September 29, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

We lost a lot of GFX-card makers along the way...

Bye 3DFX bought by nVIDIA (I think)

Matrox wasn't that good and now plays only in the professional field, and even that eyefinity does what triple head was doing.

3Dlabs is gone, Rendition also. S3 is nowhere to be found...

Who has the cash to invest in R&D GFX chips, more powerful than AMD or nVIDIA yet fully compatible with all games, software and professional apps???

I don't think we'll see a newcomer in that market...

Quote:
you realize movies are pre-rendered over hours of time using millions of dollars worth of equipment, right?
The above poster is right.
Companies like Silicon Graphics (SGI) are selling really expensive professional machines for movie studios and commercial/military flight simulators...
Do NOT think it's affordable!
Jeez OP, get yourself a Quad-SLI / 980X OCed-to-death rig if you want powa!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; September 29, 2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old September 29, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This smell I need a big computer to grow my cock??? Seriously, I'm out of the thread.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 29, 2010, 05:24 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I think we will be lucky to have two major card makers in the medium-term future.

This market would not get any of my investment dollars. Intel would, but certainly not on the strength of their video business.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 29, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
This smell I need a big computer to grow my cock??? Seriously, I'm out of the thread.
Wait - what about your cock's smell getting bigger?
Old September 29, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Wait - what about your cock's smell getting bigger?
this thread smell like OP need more epeen...maybe I wasn't clear.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 29, 2010, 06:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Co.....smell?.......My eyes! My eyes! Warn peeps before you do that again MM :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr