Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old September 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
bkh2's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 265

My System Specs

Default Upgrade from GTX 275 to 4870x2?

Hi, I was thinking about getting a 4870x2 to replace my GTX 275. Would this be a good upgrade? I can basically trade my card 1:1 for his card (it is used, but comes with waterblock). If possible, I might even be able to get a second one for a quadfire setup. Has driver support made any real progress in dual GPU cards, let alone quadfire setups? Resolution: 1680x1050
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old September 25, 2010, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,411

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
Hi, I was thinking about getting a 4870x2 to replace my GTX 275. Would this be a good upgrade? I can basically trade my card 1:1 for his card (it is used, but comes with waterblock). If possible, I might even be able to get a second one for a quadfire setup. Has driver support made any real progress in dual GPU cards, let alone quadfire setups? Resolution: 1680x1050
The 10.6 drivers were the last good ones for the 4870x2 from what I hear. I would say dual GPU setups run quite well, quad tends to be much more finicky.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old September 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
Lpfan4ever's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,757

My System Specs

Default

Don't bother with two 4870x2's, you get barely anything from the extra card, especially at such a low resolution. As for drivers, I've been on the 10.5's and nothing else so far has done as well as these. I've never tried anything other than a GTX260, so I can't offer any insight as to whether the trade is worth it. However, I can say I max out most games at 2048x1152 with my single 4870x2 and get more than playable FPS.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp
I don't know, maybe if you get a big enough compacticator you can put it in your butt and name yourself "sexbuttplug"...
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
...
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old September 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Default

4870x2 is still a good card, but seem like it is suffering form driver problem which is claimed to be fix 10.8b/10.9, it may worth a try, the worst case you can sell if off at ebay, average price of it is around 200..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old September 25, 2010, 12:31 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

i believe they came out with drivers for the older gen duallies like the above that made an impact, but even if you play at that resolution, just go for a single card(core) solution. something new. less power drawn, heat output,etc :)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old September 25, 2010, 02:21 PM
bkh2's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 265

My System Specs

Default

Sweet, thanks for all the input. I doubt I'd be able to run xfire 4870x2's with an 850W PSU anyways. If, however, I could trade my GTX 275 for a 4870x2 WITH full cover waterblock 1:1, should I do it? Also, hypothetical question: Would SLI GTX 460's be a better choice?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old September 25, 2010, 02:26 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

if you dont furmark,i.e. normal gaming you should be ok.

only if you want to sell it and get more money back vs selling your 275

yes sir!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old September 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
Lpfan4ever's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,757

My System Specs

Default

I've run dual 4870x2's on my Antec Quattro 850W, overclocked and Furmark stable. although, it was basically useless performance wise. If it was me with the option of the trade, I would probably do it since it doesn't cost you anything. But, if you have warranty now and the other guy wouldn't help you if the card broke, I'd stay with your GTX275 just for warranty's sake.

As well, GTX460 SLI is a very good performer, so if you want to upgrade quite a bit, then it'd be a great choice. However, it would be a bit wasted at your resolution. Maybe get one now and one later, or upgrade your monitor as well?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp
I don't know, maybe if you get a big enough compacticator you can put it in your butt and name yourself "sexbuttplug"...
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
...
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old September 25, 2010, 11:31 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
Sweet, thanks for all the input. I doubt I'd be able to run xfire 4870x2's with an 850W PSU anyways. If, however, I could trade my GTX 275 for a 4870x2 WITH full cover waterblock 1:1, should I do it? Also, hypothetical question: Would SLI GTX 460's be a better choice?
460 SLI is better.

Performance wise, 460 sli trumps over GTX 480 by a good margin already.

460 sli> GTX 480> GTX 295= GTX 275 sli >GTX 4870x2 > GTX 4850 x2 > GTX280 >GTX 275

With waterblock, you can expect 220-230 selling price at ebay.......and get money to buy GTX460 1GB if you prefer geforce

I will trade it in heartbeat
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old September 26, 2010, 03:07 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

the only place the 460 sli loses is in uber high definitions, which are usually played on 1500 dollar lcds, thus excluding most of us lol.


but but, one also may consider the power of 450 sli, which is not bad at all. check this out!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HIS Radeon 5850 iCooler V Turbo upgrade from EVGA gtx 275 (896MB)? Socrates_Johnston Video Cards 4 May 6, 2010 12:41 AM
VGA upgrade from GTX 260 first, or CPU+mobo upgrade first? panzerfan Video Cards 9 April 6, 2010 08:25 PM
2x 275 or 2x 4890 bumfloss Video Cards 5 May 26, 2009 06:32 AM