Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2010, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

Default What are your thoughts on this card? GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old September 19, 2010, 10:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm running this card currently, its right up there with the 5850s in terms of performance. It overclocks fairly well (850MHz+ core) on most reviews I've read. I'm keeping mine at 800MHz core, 1000MHz memory and 1600MHz shader for optimal results with low noise and temps. I'd wait for a deal on the card though as I picked up mine for $210 at NCIX Pricematched. Great card though I love how low the temps and noise are even when overclocked!
Old September 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

This isn't feedback per se but just a perspective to perhaps consider. Others might disagree. I think one of the more intriguing aspects of the GTX 460 series is how short they got the card (8.25") and have low temps/low power relatively speaking. There's added performance and low power/low heat that is competitive or better than GTX 260/GTS 250 so they finally got some decent Fermi cards. But, Gigabyte decides to have their own pcb reference and it requires 2 FANS that make the card longer.

I'd go for the MSI Cyclone if I was choosing a 'non-pcb' GTX 460 or possibly the EVGA line that has the limited lifetime warranty.

I think the reference pcb ones are good enough, though. I don't see no reason not to choose them. The power consumption is typically lower and the temps are comparable. I guess the idea might be that you can't overclock them as much, not sure. The EVGA version that is reference pcb is the cheapest 1GB card so if I was going 1GB, I choose that one unless someone could convince me otherwise. PNY has reference pcb cards, too, with limited lifetime warranty.

Just my two cents.

Check newegg for reviews on the Gigabyte although I should mention to take the reviews with a grain of salt. Some people go on there and review immediately after trying the card so it might be glaringly positive or really cynical or negative depending on initial experience. But, it's something. :)
Old September 19, 2010, 11:27 AM
Top Prospect

Thank you both. What is GBs usual warranty period?
Old September 19, 2010, 11:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAFTIG View Post
Thank you both. What is GBs usual warranty period?
3 years FROM MANUFACTURING DATE.
Old September 19, 2010, 12:56 PM
Banned

There's really fussy people on the silentpc website that were discussing the GTX 460 cards and I think the cards were rated or judged in terms of noise with what I'd summarize as most quiet to loudest in this ranking:
1) EVGA reference pcb
2) MSI Cyclone
3) Gigabyte

If you mostly care about performance for gaming, it's probably a wash with maybe the reverse since the non-pcb ones are usually overclocked already.
Old September 20, 2010, 11:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have been looking at the gigabyte 460 card too, so if you get it, let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old September 20, 2010, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Having played with both reference, the gigabyte 460's and the Cyclone cooler, albeit on a 4890 rather than the 460, It's hard to judge whats louder since every manufacturer likes their own fan profiles that ramp up differently and result in different temps. When your idling or not gaming, just set a manual fan profile that keeps it at below 40% which is almost nearing inaudible for the gigabyte/msi. I actually dont like the sound profile of the Reference card I used but it might've been just a quirk particular to my specific card. In this case, the cyclone gets my vote since I found that the fan doesnt ramp as much when under load and still has a lot of headroom to get louder/cool the card if need be (iirc it runs at 1k rpm, when gaming never goes higher than 2k but it can hit 4k rpm which is like a banshee). Even under load it was pretty quiet. The fan on the Gigabyte however was quiet under load but it ramped up extremely quickly and became audible while gaming. Temps werent exactly amazing but still a bit better than the reference.

TL;dr, get whatevers cheaper, non-reference coolers are good, set a manual fan profile

Old September 21, 2010, 04:39 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
I have been looking at the gigabyte 460 card too, so if you get it, let me know what you think. Thanks!

I did get it. So far so good. It's as quiet or quieter than my old 8500GT series card. I haven't played any games yet because I don't own any, lol. The performance in 2D is noticeable, I'm happy so far...
Old September 21, 2010, 05:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I recently purchased this card, and my impression of this card is a little bit mixed.
In "older" games such as COD:MW2 and BF:BC2, this card can handle them no problem. But for "newer" games such as Mafia 2, I feel the animation is a little jerky at times because sometimes the frames plummet to around 28 FPS. Even on some instances the frame fell to around low 30-40 FPS and goes back up to 50++ FPS which hamper the playing experience a little bit. Am I setting the bar too high for this mainstream card? or maybe it's the rest of my system?
Sorry for being a little OOT. My settings for Mafia 2 is [Med Apex, AA off, AF 16X, Shadow Med, Texture Med]. Setup is the same in system specs with 720BE running at 3.6 GHz(which I hope is enough OC).