Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2010, 04:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Asus Top video cards, or?

Thanks to SKYMTL I think I was able to score one heck of a deal.

I was all set to pull the trigger on 2 Gigabyte GV-N470SO-13I's but he told me "I suggest holding off on any major purchases in the GPU department for the next two months." So I've been busily researching video cards of late and found some excellent reviews on the Asus 5850 & 260 Top's.

Price wise the 460 wins out but it's msrp of $244.99 puts it at ~ the same price as the MSI Hawk. According to the following reviews http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-ge...0-hawk-review/ and http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=577&Itemid=72 it's an ~ draw between the two.

So I've been going round and round as to waiting for the 6xxx to come out, which hopefully will result in some substantial price reductions, or finding that the 6xxx(s) are simply to compelling a deal to pass up.

However, all that changed late on the 15th when I ran across a post on another forum that stated that Amazon was having a sale on the Asus 460 Top; for $174.99 ($244.99 @ Newegg)!!! So I ordered two of those bad boys and since Amazon won't be shipping the cards until 10/2 to 10/22, nor charging my cc until they ship; I think I've got the best of two worlds. If the prices drop dramatically and I can find a different card(s), that offer better cost per FPS, I can cancel the Amazon order at no cost. I'm also hoping that there will be enough info on the net, regarding the 6xxx(s), that I can decide if those cards are so nice that I'd be a fool in not going that route. If not, I've scored what I'd consider a pretty good deal, provided Amazon doesn't cancel my order claiming a pricing error.

BTW, Amazon changed the price to $229.99 on the morning of the 16th.

SKYMTL, just wanted to say thanks again for your outstanding advice and kick a## reviews!