Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

Default GTS 450 or HD 5770?

If you were to decide between these two cards, which would you choose and why?

The Nvidia cards have two advantages, imho:
A) good for folding
B) *better for Linux - depending on perspective

I think some people experienced with both brands of cards may say Nvidia drivers are usually more stable in Windows, too.

My issue is that I wanted a lower power/lower temps card capable of 3D and casual gaming. If I get the Nvidia card, I might try folding with it, too. I am leaning towards the Nvidia card for the reasons above but the Radeon card has better efficiency for power consumption and temps? Probably not by much, though, right?

I don't mind too much that the Nvidia card doesn't perform as well as the ATI card since I think the Nvidia card would be a bit cheaper. I believe the GTS 450 is being more compared to the ATI HD 5750 but I'm comparing these two cards because I think they are the best price/performance deals. Not sure if that's true but for budget cards, I chose to make the choice between these two.

I think some HD 5770 cards can be had for about $140 if you get them on sales or with rebates but I hate when these sales suddenly end or worrying about rebates. Also, it is usually the same type of cards and then there's not as many options since those are your only choices. I wanted a reference-pcb card if I went with ATI but the cheaper cards are usually the ones with custom-based shrouds/heat sinks. If it's $140, though, I guess I could live with it. What is the general consensus on that? Are people generally satisfied with the 'customized pcb' cards?

As you can tell, my budget for a card is $140, for now. I would like to wait for a price reduction on other higher grade cards but then the power will increase anyway. The GTX 460 is probably the best deal and if HD 5850 cards ever got discounted, they'd be a good choice, too. But, I probably can't justify a card for $200+ right now. If I can't find a HD 5770 card for $140-ish when I'm about to buy, I'll probably step down to a HD 5750.

So, if you're debating between the GTX 450 and HD 5770, which would you choose and why?
Old September 14, 2010, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

I think you laid out both sides nicely. It's up to you.
Old September 14, 2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
But, that doesn't help?!?

Are these cards popular at all? I figure the Nvidia card could be re-sold for folders but I'm not sure if the ATI card has much demand as it's mostly for casual gaming?

I don't think I'd be too disappointed with the Nvidia card... but some sentiments of disappointment, perhaps, given on the GTS 450 reviews thread?
Old September 14, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

It's a simple choice imho. Get the 460. Save a little more and then when you get that card you won't regret it. In the reviews it generally blows away everything else.
Old September 14, 2010, 10:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
But, that doesn't help?!?

Are these cards popular at all? I figure the Nvidia card could be re-sold for folders but I'm not sure if the ATI card has much demand as it's mostly for casual gaming?

I don't think I'd be too disappointed with the Nvidia card... but some sentiments of disappointment, perhaps, given on the GTS 450 reviews thread?
Heh.... but you did lay it out pretty damn well..... ;)

What chipset are you planning on pairing it with? That might be the deciding factor as to possible SLI/Crossfire in the future.

Personally, if folding wasn't my primary concern I think I'd pick up a 5770 expecially since my boards are all Crossfire rather than SLI. OTOH, if it comes down to not being able to find a 5770 at a discounted price (been there, done that), and the choice is between the GTS 450 and a 5750, I'd go for the 450.

As far as resell value goes... I suspect they'd both sell at around the same percentage of retail. The 5770 doesn't fold, but it's a well enough known card that folks looking for a budget gaming card should jump all over it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 14, 2010, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
It's a simple choice imho. Get the 460. Save a little more and then when you get that card you won't regret it. In the reviews it generally blows away everything else.
Yeah, I could try that but the problem is I need some other components so I can build my 'new system.' That's the main concern, I guess. If I wasn't buying other stuff, I could probably swing the 460. Also, I am not sure I need all that power but it's a very good deal and I don't upgrade my video cards often compared to some so... Either of those cards would suffice and the 460 would be a good upgrade from what I'm using now which is...basically, nothing! lol! The size of these cards are way better than the GT200/G92(b) architecture cards, too, which is great. Much better for my Antec 300 case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh.... but you did lay it out pretty damn well..... ;)

What chipset are you planning on pairing it with? That might be the deciding factor as to possible SLI/Crossfire in the future.

Personally, if folding wasn't my primary concern I think I'd pick up a 5770 expecially since my boards are all Crossfire rather than SLI. OTOH, if it comes down to not being able to find a 5770 at a discounted price (been there, done that), and the choice is between the GTS 450 and a 5750, I'd go for the 450.

As far as resell value goes... I suspect they'd both sell at around the same percentage of retail. The 5770 doesn't fold, but it's a well enough known card that folks looking for a budget gaming card should jump all over it.
That's good. I thought I only presented the obvious advantages but those who actually bought or used these cards would have much better insight! :) Thanks for the compliments regarding my comparison, though, :)

I'm not too concerned about SLI or Crossfire for two reasons, at least. One, my system is old and there's no options for dual cards. I'll be using a P5Q (P45) mobo and Q6600 cpu. So, that's the ICH10R chipset, right? If I upgrade to an entirely new chipset, I can look into SLI and Crossfire. Two, I read that these dual card systems can be problematic (aka a pain!) and in Linux, they are even more so, potentially. Although, I think most gaming would be in Windows anyway. I dual boot so any Linux issues will be dealt with basic troubleshooting and if all else fails, I'll boot up Windoze (for e.g., gaming in Windows is easier than using WINE).

I'm interested in Folding, since it sounds like a good thing to do with a video card. I find it interesting that ATI in folding is not as effective. I guess that's another topic, though. I'm wondering why that is so. ATI in Linux also has some issues so, imho, ATI has certain priorities and maybe resources just aren't there to support folding or ensure decent binary drivers in Linux.

My other priority is video and my system will be multi-purpose including a HTPC type of machine. I figure all these cards are ideal for this even if the power consumption is a bit high for this use. But, both the Evergreen cards up to the 5700-series (although 5800 series isn't bad for the performance it delivers!) and the GT104/106 Fermi cards have decent power stats that are fine for HTPC systems, right?

I'm getting off topic, though, and I want to give my thanks and appreciation for quick replies to my post! I am probably way too indecisive but I just figure the longer I wait, the better a price/deal I'll get. lol! I am trying to look on the bright side of hesitating! These cards seem way better choices than when I was considering a 9800GT and HD 4850!
Old September 14, 2010, 01:36 PM
Banned
F@H

450 because of folding numbers.5770 for bang per watt
Old September 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You already know your answer. If you want to fold get a 450. If you want slightly better gaming 5770.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old September 14, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

I JUST ordered a XFX HD5770 for $135 after MIR from NCIX. I could have picked up a Gigabyte GTS450 for $137, an ASUS GTS450 CuCORE (a little power hungry but nice cooler), or a EVGA GTS450 TR (2 year warranty on that one) for about $150.

I chose the XFX HD5770 for the lifetime warranty, I don't fold, and it's for the family rig. also, it's a little faster in a few games compared to the GTS450...

Quote:
I'll be using a P5Q (P45) mobo and Q6600 cpu. So, that's the ICH10R chipset, right?
Technix, ICH10R is the Intel storage controller. P45 IS the chipset.

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old September 14, 2010, 06:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Slight advantage in gaming - HD 5770
Folding advantages - GTS 450

If you can find them at the same price and want the gaming advantage, then go with the 5770. Otherwise, pick up the GTS 450.