Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2010, 08:25 PM
Banned
F@H

sarge, perhaps if the gf108 cores hit major gold ghz wise? who knows. the less there is under the hood the better they clock. look at the trend :) what if they can be clocked to 1.1-1.2ghz? that would be killer.
Old September 13, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
You want extrapolation?

GTX 460 Overclocked
12k ppd / 338 cores.
36.1 ppd, per core.

GTS 450 Overclocked
7k ppd / 192 cores
36.4 ppd per core

so we have somewhere in the neighbourhood of a 1% (see edit) improvement, and somehow you think the g108 is going to push equal to a gts450 by you magically creating some folding numbers because you had some divine intervention? And you have the audacity to say I'm the one pulling shit out my butt?

I stand by my statement. Show us proof of your magic g108 6-7k ppd number crunching statement please. Otherwise 7k and 100 000 PPD for all intents and purposes are the same, some made up numbers.
did you even read HWC's review? OCed 450 is pulling 9.1k ppd - that's more then a standard 460.
come back to me when you have your numbers straight.

I obviously can't prove anything, I'm made an educated guess. Jesus.
Old September 13, 2010, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You're right. I grabbed the non-OC'd numbers. I made a mistake. :)
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 14, 2010, 06:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

Regardless of EVGA not giving a standard 3 yr warranty, they look to have an awesome card. It's disappointing how itdoesn't overclock as well as the Asus, yet when in sli, performs very well. Another winner imho.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:10 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
Regardless of EVGA not giving a standard 3 yr warranty, they look to have an awesome card. It's disappointing how itdoesn't overclock as well as the Asus, yet when in sli, performs very well. Another winner imho.
Did you read a different review from the one I did? It's overpriced, offers nothing over cheaper cards, and has mediocre performance. I wouldn't call that a winner.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Did you read a different review from the one I did? It's overpriced, offers nothing over cheaper cards, and has mediocre performance. I wouldn't call that a winner.
One person's junk is another person's treasure.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:47 AM
Top Prospect

Someone tried to tell me this card would be good for 3d Vision. Yeah, good if you want to a experience a well coordinated slide-show.
Old September 14, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

For a mid range card this isn't that bad. It would also give you DX11 if you don't want to spend a fair bit for a gpu. Personally, I would never get anything but top of the line when purchasing gpus. I would rather wait and save my $ b4 buying to get that. After all, when I had the GTX 295, I saw no need to jump onto the new gpu bandwagon right away. That card still has good numbers. If they do add drivers to enable DX11/3D it will be that much better.
The price is a bit high at the moment, but will adjust soon enough. I fail to see why it's not considered a good card. Cooler running, less power consumption, overclocks well,...I don't consider it a great card, but as stated, one person's garbage,....
Old September 14, 2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
For a mid range card this isn't that bad. It would also give you DX11 if you don't want to spend a fair bit for a gpu. Personally, I would never get anything but top of the line when purchasing gpus. I would rather wait and save my $ b4 buying to get that. After all, when I had the GTX 295, I saw no need to jump onto the new gpu bandwagon right away. That card still has good numbers. If they do add drivers to enable DX11/3D it will be that much better.
The price is a bit high at the moment, but will adjust soon enough. I fail to see why it's not considered a good card. Cooler running, less power consumption, overclocks well,...I don't consider it a great card, but as stated, one person's garbage,....
I guess I am getting a mental block with the last few posts but you guys are speaking about the GTS 450, right? I know there's comparisons with GTX 460 and how the GTS 450 stacks up against the HD 5770. I'm asking because I read that the GTS 450 is considered a 'replacement' for the GTS 250. Maybe this is not so?

If the price can stay around $140 or even lower (which is much better), I'd say that's a pretty decent price even if it's a 'garbage' card. The fact it's up-to-date, shorter than the GTS 250/GTX 260 and based on the 40nm architecture but isn't too bad with power consumption bodes well for the cards, imho. Is it a great card? Probably not and maybe even a disappointment considering the power consumption is a bit high as one would think it should be significantly lower than a GTX 460 (especially for the performance it gives). But, at under $140, I thought it's a reasonable choice. If it's more than that, I probably would consider a different card myself. Anything lower than $140, I think it's worth looking at and that's why I am taking a long look right now. ;)
Old September 14, 2010, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

As I stated earlier, it's not a great card. Its power consumption is questionable, however it's not a stock card that seems to need so much more power. The stock cards almost seem a waste as the others coming out walk all over them. Gigabyte has the right idea with keeping the price the same as a stock one thereby making stock cards moot.