Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUS GTX 450 TOP Review
The basic look of the ASUS GTS 450 TOP should seem familiar since it uses the exact same DirectCu heatsink as the HD 5850 TOP we recently reviewed. It should also be mentioned straight off the bat that ASUS has completely tossed the reference NVIDIA design aside and has literally reengineered the GS 450 from the ground up.
Typo. Should be GTX 450

Great work SKY!!!

EDIT: Ninja'd by Geokilla

-Plato
Old September 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
Top Prospect

Hmmm.........It's a good performer, but still trails the 5770 (except when overclocked, and even then it still loses in some instances); even in the Crossfire/SLI comparison (aside the 5770's embarrassing display in SC 2). It's about what I expected. I think it's priced a little too closely to the 5770, which is starting to come down in price, but meh.

Good review Sky, I look forward to the GTX 470 review.

It's funny how the 5770 Crossfire preforms worse at Starcraft 2 than a single 5770. LOL.
Old September 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla
ASUS will allow for some pretty insane overclocks thanks to the ability to change the voltage.
The overclocks were done with default voltage. I'm sure the GF106 will reach the 1GHz mark with extra voltage :)

-Plato
Old September 12, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Typo. Should be GTS 450

Great work SKY!!!

EDIT: Ninja'd by Geokilla
Can you spot the fix?

Quote:
The overclocks were done with default voltage. I'm sure the GF106 will reach the 1GHz mark with extra voltage :)
He also posted overclocking with the voltage set to max. No clue what voltage that is though.

Last edited by geokilla; September 12, 2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Found the folding numbers
Old September 12, 2010, 09:24 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
ASUS card was done with extra voltage through SmartDoctor.
Old September 12, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Where'd you find the folding numbers? Btw I corrected you post =P
The 'stock' GTS450 review has the folding numbers.

~7k stock, ~9k overclocked to 900+mhz.

Dollar for dollar its about equal to a gtx 460. I get 12k out of mine. They cost $190, which is about 40% more money for 35% more PPD.

Wattage figures may sway the argument, but with a 110 TDP vs the 160 TDP on the gtx460, its just about a wash again.

I dont think its nearly as lopsided as you think Sky.

Now, if we see this card retailing at GTS250 prices ($110) THEN it will be king. But at $130 for stock, non overclocked options I personally feel the 460 is the better buy.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 12, 2010, 09:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I'm honestly not that impressed. If the MSRP of the 768MB GTX 460 really does go down to $169 then it's a far superior choice. Obviously it does cost more money, but it performs considerably better in all respects, including F@H. As far as the GTS 450 as a folding card, the 460 is still a much more attractive option since it allows you to have more PPD in a single slot and it's around the same cost per PPD. If you're putting together a folding farm, you want the highest PPD density for the best price, which is still the 460.
Old September 12, 2010, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
The 'stock' GTS450 review has the folding numbers.

~7k stock, ~9k overclocked to 900+mhz.

Dollar for dollar its about equal to a gtx 460. I get 12k out of mine. They cost $190, which is about 40% more money for 35% more PPD.

Wattage figures may sway the argument, but with a 110 TDP vs the 160 TDP on the gtx460, its just about a wash again.

I dont think its nearly as lopsided as you think Sky.

Now, if we see this card retailing at GTS250 prices ($110) THEN it will be king. But at $130 for stock, non overclocked options I personally feel the 460 is the better buy.
You posted before I fixed my post haha. I found em before I saw this post xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I'm honestly not that impressed. If the MSRP of the 768MB GTX 460 really does go down to $169 then it's a far superior choice. Obviously it does cost more money, but it performs considerably better in all respects, including F@H. As far as the GTS 450 as a folding card, the 460 is still a much more attractive option since it allows you to have more PPD in a single slot and it's around the same cost per PPD. If you're putting together a folding farm, you want the highest PPD density for the best price, which is still the 460.
Well it depends on the resolution you game at as well. For me, I had absoutely no need to get a GTX 460, so this GTS 450 is the card I need. It's also the card many people need as they don't game on big monitors. Imo, the GTS 450 is the card to get if you're on a budget. Plus it's a lot quieter and uses a lot less power. Many of us are willing to trade that for decreased performance. And let's not forget that not everyone is a folder like us. Taking Folding@Home out of the equation and sticking with just bang for buck in terms of FPS, heat, etc. imo, GTS 450 wins.

Btw, it seems that all of the cards Legit Reviews received can hit minimum 995Mhz on the core no problem. Can we see some 1Ghz clocks coming soon? I sure hope so!
Old September 12, 2010, 09:47 PM
Top Prospect

I expect this card to drop in price shortly. It'll probably end somewhere around $110-120.

Quote:
Imo, the GTS 450 is the card to get if you're on a budget.
From what I've seen, I'd still choose a 5770 over this.
Old September 12, 2010, 09:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Well it depends on the resolution you game at as well. For me, I had absoutely no need to get a GTX 460, so this GTS 450 is the card I need. It's also the card many people need as they don't game on big monitors. Imo, the GTS 450 is the card to get if you're on a budget. Plus it's a lot quieter and uses a lot less power. Many of us are willing to trade that for decreased performance. And let's not forget that not everyone is a folder like us. Taking Folding@Home out of the equation and sticking with just bang for buck in terms of FPS, heat, etc. imo, GTS 450 wins.
The 5770 beats this card pretty soundly in most of the benchmarks, so as far as a budget card, that's a much better choice. As for noise and power consumption, the 460 is also extremely quiet, and based on SKYMTL's (probably not very accurate) power measurements, it only uses 29W more than a 450 from the wall, which is about 24W more from the PSU. That's not a lot considering how much faster it is. The 5770 also uses even less power and is faster. If you want budget performance, the 5770 is better, and if you want price/performance, the 460 is better. nVidia did manage to significantly improve the power consumption of its Fermi derivatives, but compared to ATI's offerings they are still lackluster.