Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   BIG heat problem with "good" cooler (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/36106-big-heat-problem-good-cooler.html)

kendallcschm September 11, 2010 08:08 AM

BIG heat problem with "good" cooler

Hey guys,
I just got a Artic Cooler Accelero Twin Turbo Pro for my birthday, its supposed to be a really good cooler. Unfortunately even with artic silver thermal paste my card idles at 56C and at load goes instantly to 83C and this is no good cause with my STOCK cooler it never budged above 69C.. i need help and the card is a 5770.. its really important
Thanks,
Kendall

Closed Note September 11, 2010 08:20 AM

maybe the heatsink isn't seated tight/correctly?

kendallcschm September 11, 2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Closed Note (Post 427273)
maybe the heatsink isn't seated tight/correctly?

its as tight as a feel comfortable with... im scared ill crack the card if i go any tighter.. and im pretty sure its seated correctly

LarkStarr September 11, 2010 08:39 AM

go tighter, don't be afraid to add pressure. the heatsink needs to make good contact with the chip in order to transfer the heat. no, using a lot of thermal paste won't help that, and yes you can use too much.

also for some reason I doubt that stock 5770 cooling at load was below 70C.

Closed Note September 11, 2010 08:44 AM

I don't actually know about GPUs but I'd do the same as I do with CPUs, I always go as tight as I can, little by little, from corner to corner. That way I'm always sure it's not the seating ^^ I never managed to crack a CPU by tightening it.

kendallcschm September 11, 2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkStarr (Post 427280)
go tighter, don't be afraid to add pressure. the heatsink needs to make good contact with the chip in order to transfer the heat. no, using a lot of thermal paste won't help that, and yes you can use too much.

also for some reason I doubt that stock 5770 cooling at load was below 70C.

it was cause for a stock cooler i had the MSI Twin Frozer II on my graphics card... and it kicked ass.. just not enough cause i wanna do an overclock

Quote:

Originally Posted by Closed Note (Post 427283)
I don't actually know about GPUs but I'd do the same as I do with CPUs, I always go as tight as I can, little by little, from corner to corner. That way I'm always sure it's not the seating ^^ I never managed to crack a CPU by tightening it.

thanks for the quick responces

kendallcschm September 11, 2010 09:15 AM

bump... this is really important i need this computer running.. any other thoughts

Zero82z September 11, 2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendallcschm (Post 427286)
it was cause for a stock cooler i had the MSI Twin Frozer II on my graphics card... and it kicked ass.. just not enough cause i wanna do an overclock

The TwinFrozr II heatsink is certainly good enough for overclocking, especially with a card like the 5770. You should have tried before wasting money on an aftermarket heatsink.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kendallcschm (Post 427300)
bump... this is really important i need this computer running.. any other thoughts

The heatsink is designed so that you bottom out the screws when you install it. Screw them in as far as you can without applying excessive force. If that doesn't solve the problem, remove the cooler, reapply thermal paste, and mount the cooler again from the beginning.

jcmaz September 11, 2010 09:21 AM

You could try changing the thermal paste. Sometimes AC puts way too much TIM onto the heatsink...

Try that and combine it with what others have said.

Jd007 September 11, 2010 09:59 AM

Those temps are very weird for a 5770, especially on an Accelero. I smell a contact issue. Hold up the card horizontally to a light source, and peak at the part where the heatsink makes contact with the GPU chip, and see if you can see a gap of light coming through. If you do, then it's a defective heatsink (pic below on what you should be looking for, though it's not your card/cooler) and you should RMA it.

If you don't see anything, take the heatsink off and check the base plate surface carefully to see if there is a slight concave on it that would make the heatsink not touch the chip properly. If you do, then it again means a defective part and you should return it.

PS: Why installing an Accelero when the stock cooler for the 5770 works perfectly fine at keeping the temps and noise low?

http://images.tweaktown.com/content/...19_27_full.jpg