Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   High 5870 temps? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/35992-high-5870-temps.html)

Caldezar September 7, 2010 07:29 AM

High 5870 temps?

I've recently picked up an XFX 5870, and fitted it with a Twin Turbo Pro. I've tested it out running Kombuster (Furmark) and Afterburner. I realize that furmark testing creates a crazy 'worst case scenario'... but does this temp seem a tad high to you for a stock card at such high fan speed? I would have been fine with high 60's under furmark, but I don't know...
(system in specs for those that haven't seen my thread)

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1118/43588600.jpg

Chromey September 7, 2010 10:54 AM

Yea that Seems 15'C too high

With mine, Stock ref cooler, I idle 38-41'C Load @ 55-65'C

_dangtx_ September 7, 2010 11:34 AM

the twin turbo is a monster, in its price range. temps are not that bad, come on furmark will load it a good 10+ c more than your avergae game, although if memory doesnt fail me ati put something in the drivers against max power/usage of furmark...hmm...

Delavan September 7, 2010 03:42 PM

I get up to 70 degrees Celsius in-game with my XFX reference with the fan on AUTO.
Also, one FURMARK run raises GPU temp to 70 at 30% fan speed.
At 50% fan speed, temp drops to 64 degrees. But a reference cooler at 50% is noisy!

Chromey September 7, 2010 04:43 PM

I agree With 50% being to noisey.

Im not over clocking my 5870, Not because i dont want to, But because everytime i try to Overclock a ATI Card, I get HUGE failure.

SO untill Team green makes something i like again, Ill stick with Red and leave it Stock.

Caldezar September 7, 2010 07:52 PM

Well I'll give the Twin Turbo this much... it's SILENT. There's almost no sound change from 30% to 100% fan... and I can hardly hear it at all.

Delavan September 9, 2010 04:16 AM

Quote:

Im not over clocking my 5870, Not because i dont want to, But because everytime i try to Overclock a ATI Card, I get HUGE failure
Yea, my card is allergic to clock changes. Don't know what causes this, but the slight increase in clocks from 850mhz/1200mhz and I get artifacts. I had to uninstall MSI Afterburner, the card didn't like it's "presence" lol on the computer. It's rock-stable at factory clocks...but I don't really need an OC on the card...it's powerful enough for my resolution and settings.

Gamer Guy September 13, 2010 07:40 AM

Depending on ambient temps I idle anywhere from 22C-33C and at full load up to 68C while gaming/benchmarking my dual 5870s. For example, I was idling at 22C just now, then ran Kombustor and I hit 62C on one GPU. The other was at 56C. The same as I see in games.

Furmark is not the best thing to use. It's not a good real world example. Though I've run it, I don't rely on it's readings for anything anymore. I use the Heaven, and Kombustor benchmarks for a more real world result.

*Waves to Delavan*:punk: (Assuming your the same one from NCIX.)

Hows that AC 5870 Extreme treating you? I had to remove mine for CrossFire.:sad: Otherwise I'd have no sound, and warmer cards. I put that noisy stock fan back on, but thankfully with the second card, I can now RMA this one and still have a computer. Wish it had been a second reference model though.

Caldezar September 13, 2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer Guy (Post 428176)
Hows that AC 5870 Extreme treating you? I had to remove mine for CrossFire.:sad: Otherwise I'd have no sound, and warmer cards. I put that noisy stock fan back on, but thankfully with the second card, I can now RMA this one and still have a computer. Wish it had been a second reference model though.

I love it. It's dead silent, and after comparing it to stock, the temp difference is HUGE.

My MB has an 8x PCIE slot available spaced far enough away from the primary that I can XFire two of these in 8x8x. That shouldn't really make much of a difference for speeds, so provided I can find a long crossfire bridge when the time comes, there shouldn't be an issue.

dustin1706 September 13, 2010 06:35 PM

As a point of reference, when I was trying out my reference 5870 with the stock cooler it was 38 / 68 (idle / load)

Now, under water, its 30 / 43 @ 1050 / 1350 / 1.3v :)