Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   After market cooler for GTX 470 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/35982-after-market-cooler-gtx-470-a.html)

Jd007 September 6, 2010 07:26 PM

After market cooler for GTX 470

Hey guys:

Just got a reference GTX 470, and it runs hot and loud, like the reviews say. So I'm thinking of putting an after market cooler on it, but I can't seem to find anything other than the Accelero Xtreme Plus. Is there any other good (and maybe cheaper) coolers I can buy for the card? Obviously I want lower temps and noise.

Thanks.

jcmaz September 6, 2010 07:28 PM

TT Spitfire or the GELID Icyvision?

Sagath September 6, 2010 07:29 PM

You could try putting your PC in the freezer. You might lose some frozen veggies and meats though. :haha:

ilya September 6, 2010 07:50 PM

What I did was I just took off the shroud and slapped a Sanyo Denki fan salvaged from an Intel stock cooler hooked up to a fan controller on there. It gets me significantly lower temps at slightly lower noise. Undervolted, it gets me good enough temps for gaming while being fairly quiet. (nowhere near silent though)

That's the cheapest route. (free)

My beef with the older aftermarket coolers is seemingly inadequate VRM cooling. Those things are handling 200+ Watts, I'm not trusting it to a heatsink that seems wimpier than the stock cooler. YMMV though, JMO.
The newer and affordable ones such as the Gelid have seen less than stellar reviews, so I haven't considered them at all. (one site complained about the mounting system not fitting properly with the GTX470)

Another cheap alternative is to buy the backplate/highflow bracket from EVGA. A lot of people are reporting slightly reduced temps of 5-10C.

For me, I'm looking to get a backplate as cheap as possible and keeping the current fan on it.

Jd007 September 7, 2010 09:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know about the Spitfire, but I think it's a little too expensive. The GELID Icy Vision is at an acceptable price, but after reading this review, I will be staying away from it.

Is there no good after market cooler for the GTX 470 that's around $50-60? Maybe I'll start looking for a used Spitfire then...

Kommie986 September 8, 2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jd007 (Post 425811)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know about the Spitfire, but I think it's a little too expensive. The GELID Icy Vision is at an acceptable price, but after reading this review, I will be staying away from it.

Is there no good after market cooler for the GTX 470 that's around $50-60? Maybe I'll start looking for a used Spitfire then...

Wait for the Coolit Omni ALC to come out.

Jd007 September 8, 2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kommie986 (Post 426155)
Wait for the Coolit Omni ALC to come out.

You mean this? It's not exactly cheap...

Kommie986 September 8, 2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jd007 (Post 426197)
You mean this? It's not exactly cheap...

Oh, sorry. Didn't know you needed had a budget. You can try the Zalman ones.