Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2010, 05:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default EVGA GTX 470 Question

If I wanted to disassemble the card to place a waterblock on it, I would have to remove all the screws. I know one of the screws is under a sticker (from a video below). I was wondering what that sticker said. I know on my XFX GTS 250, it says something along the lines of "Warranty Void if Damaged". Does it say the same/similar thing on the EVGA GTX 470 sticker?

YouTube - CMP: EVGA GTX 470 Disassembly
Old September 2, 2010, 05:55 PM
Banned
F@H

as far as i know if the card shows any kind of modification(yes they support third party coolers but dont touch the stickers,bork the card yourself) youre toast.history. not good :)

edit : now if you slowly peel it back? and dont break it? should be ok.
Old September 2, 2010, 06:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That's EVGA's part number and serial number sticker, which does say warranty void if removed. However, since they accept the use of 3rd party coolers, I'm sure that if you simply expose the screw or replace the sticker when done you are OK.

Also, there's no reason to take the cover off the heatsink like he does in the video. Undo all the screws on the back and the 2 on the PCI plate, and the cooler comes off in one piece.
Old September 2, 2010, 06:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So how do you guys recommend I take it off without breaking it? 0_o
Edit: Also, wouldn't I have to take if off if I'm going to add a backplate?
Old September 2, 2010, 06:54 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Use a craft/exacto knife to get under the sticker and peel it up until the screw is exposed. Take out the screw, place the sticker back down, problem solved. Just be careful, and make sure you don't tear the sticker while removing it.
Old September 2, 2010, 07:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ugh this is gay. They say you can add aftermarket coolers, but then they put a sticker over a screw you need to remove in order to add one...
Edit: I just called EVGA, the customer service (pre-sales) is surprisingly fast. The guy said I should be able to remove it without damage it. So yay.

Last edited by Kommie986; September 2, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old September 2, 2010, 07:36 PM
Banned
F@H

get a name+agent number or else you never called......
Old September 2, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You'll be fine....do as Zero suggested, be careful, but even if you tear it slightly, remember which company you're dealing with.....evga's Customer Support will bend over backwards to make you a satisfied customer..I have dealt with them personally with a number of complex issues that arose during "Step-ups" and they were excellent.....I wouldn't worry ;)