Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2010, 10:37 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Force Game to Display on Secondary Monitor

Force Game to Display on Secondary Monitor

Anyone have any thoughts on how to do it?
Simply put, readjusted my setup, have my gaming rig set back up and have run my HDMI and audio cables through the wall into the receiver and TV.

Now I have a problem though. I have to put the TV as the primary monitor, however the system is in the other room.... kind of hard to launch a game when you can't see the screen

Any thoughts on how a fellow would go about launching a game onto the secondary display?
Old August 31, 2010, 10:55 PM
Banned
F@H

unless you play with primary/secondary not sure. although once the game started, im not convinced it will stil lwork after the switch. let me give it a try, i rememebr fiddling with this when setting up multiple f@h clients+running 3d demos (on primary)

edit Realtime Soft UltraMon

it was easier to hit google up. havent tried it recently
Old August 31, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good luck.

I have gone through this before and even with a multiple monitor software like Ultramon, I could not get it to work 100% of the time. In Ultramon you can select what monitor you want individual programs to open on. But the problem is that some programs will force themselves to the primary monitor. If your resolutions matched up between the tv and monitor you could maybe just set the displays to clone, that might work.

Old August 31, 2010, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

ohhh tough problem...

but try...

start the games as windowed mode and drag it over to the other monitor then put it back to fullscreen mode. windows will remember which window was used next time the applications is launched.

edit: try to move game.exe at other desktop and run it...

edit2: found efficent software at Realtime Soft UltraMon and hope it works...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old August 31, 2010, 11:02 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Tried all of those, including Ultramon, no dice. Ultramon works fine for programs but I didn't have any luck with games.

The clone idea would be good, but running 1680x1050 and 1080p :(

Closest I have been so far is running windowed and borderless, but that killed frames so I had to reduce the graphics... and well... I'm picky :P

Sigh. May just have to splurge for a bluetooth M&K :(
Old August 31, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

ok then you have to use temporary solution... use the monitor properties and click secondary monitor as primary... ;p

edit: ok found some softwares...

Five Best Tools for Managing Your Multi-Monitor Setup

have fun...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.

Last edited by CTA; August 31, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old September 1, 2010, 03:02 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Why don't you just switch your monitor to primary when you want to game and then set the TV as primary when you're done? As far as I know, 3D applications will always launch on the primary display and there's nothing you can do to change that.
Old September 1, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What Zero said.

It is a bit of hassle but it works every single time.

-Plato
Old September 1, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The main problem is that the tv and computer with monitor are in different rooms. But that said what you could do is set the TV to primary but have icons for your games on the secondary monitor.

Or you could maybe try Actual Multiple Monitors, The way Windows Should Work | Maintenance and System Tools | Windows Tools, Help & Guides

It has the full start menu on all the monitors so it shouldn't matter which one you are in front of.