Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Force Game to Display on Secondary Monitor (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/35781-force-game-display-secondary-monitor.html)

FiXT August 31, 2010 10:37 PM

Force Game to Display on Secondary Monitor

Force Game to Display on Secondary Monitor

Anyone have any thoughts on how to do it?
Simply put, readjusted my setup, have my gaming rig set back up and have run my HDMI and audio cables through the wall into the receiver and TV.

Now I have a problem though. I have to put the TV as the primary monitor, however the system is in the other room.... kind of hard to launch a game when you can't see the screen :doh:

Any thoughts on how a fellow would go about launching a game onto the secondary display?

_dangtx_ August 31, 2010 10:55 PM

unless you play with primary/secondary not sure. although once the game started, im not convinced it will stil lwork after the switch. let me give it a try, i rememebr fiddling with this when setting up multiple f@h clients+running 3d demos (on primary)

edit Realtime Soft UltraMon

it was easier to hit google up. havent tried it recently

ipaine August 31, 2010 10:55 PM

Good luck.

I have gone through this before and even with a multiple monitor software like Ultramon, I could not get it to work 100% of the time. In Ultramon you can select what monitor you want individual programs to open on. But the problem is that some programs will force themselves to the primary monitor. If your resolutions matched up between the tv and monitor you could maybe just set the displays to clone, that might work.

CTA August 31, 2010 10:58 PM

ohhh tough problem...

but try...

start the games as windowed mode and drag it over to the other monitor then put it back to fullscreen mode. windows will remember which window was used next time the applications is launched.

edit: try to move game.exe at other desktop and run it...

edit2: found efficent software at Realtime Soft UltraMon and hope it works...

FiXT August 31, 2010 11:02 PM

Tried all of those, including Ultramon, no dice. Ultramon works fine for programs but I didn't have any luck with games.

The clone idea would be good, but running 1680x1050 and 1080p :(

Closest I have been so far is running windowed and borderless, but that killed frames so I had to reduce the graphics... and well... I'm picky :P

Sigh. May just have to splurge for a bluetooth M&K :(

CTA August 31, 2010 11:11 PM

ok then you have to use temporary solution... use the monitor properties and click secondary monitor as primary... ;p

edit: ok found some softwares...

Five Best Tools for Managing Your Multi-Monitor Setup

have fun...

Zero82z September 1, 2010 03:02 PM

Why don't you just switch your monitor to primary when you want to game and then set the TV as primary when you're done? As far as I know, 3D applications will always launch on the primary display and there's nothing you can do to change that.

jcmaz September 1, 2010 03:11 PM

What Zero said.

It is a bit of hassle but it works every single time.

ipaine September 1, 2010 04:15 PM

The main problem is that the tv and computer with monitor are in different rooms. But that said what you could do is set the TV to primary but have icons for your games on the secondary monitor.

Or you could maybe try Actual Multiple Monitors, The way Windows Should Work | Maintenance and System Tools | Windows Tools, Help & Guides

It has the full start menu on all the monitors so it shouldn't matter which one you are in front of.