Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2010, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Must have Nvidia!

I am going back to Nvidia period! The drivers for the 5970 cards are not fine tuned by ATI and I am not going to change drivers every time I play a different game.As many of you know,I have had issues with my system relating to heat and I believe the Proc.,running at 80c and over when gaming was just not right on a liquid cooled system.I called Dell and after some brief conversations with Alienware Tech.and 1 email to Customer support,Dell agreed to give me a full refund even tho the rig as over 5 months old.They have treated me so good that I ordered another Area 51 ALX only this time with Nvidia 480s in SLI.There has been myriad problems with the initial release of these Beasts but after reading the Alienware Club Forums,it appears Dell has pretty much fixed all problems that had driven me nuts since the first rig. I can't say enough about Dell and how I have been treated by them.Who can tell me of any other computer company that have done what Dell has done for me.I always had Nvidia cards in past rigs and I hope I made the right choice.I guess I'll find out.One thing that surprised me was that the Nvidia cards cost more than the 5970s. I will let us know how the new rig performs and whether or not the temperatures were normal for the 980x as Dell told me in the first place.Here I go again.I will hire a forklift to get the thing in my house. Bye all.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 30, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why not build a PC yourself?
I mean... this is Hardware Canucks! We are PC enthusiasts :P
Old August 30, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

have fun with the heat and the noise.

did i mention the noise?

I've got 2 x 480 in SLI. they run hot... 96 degrees with the fans full out playing any game i've run. fans are noisy noisy noisy.

I dont like my 480s at all. cost way too much to have them water cooled so i could use them and not go def.

I should mention that the 480 is noisy.

Hot too.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old August 30, 2010, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok and after so much years you never figured out before that dual GPU single card was crap and now you cry because you saw these issue??? seriously...Take 2 5850 in cross fire and you won't have these issue. Also, next time DIY, pre-build system are crap and it's not new that they give issue.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 30, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry? I couldn't hear you over the noise of your GTX480 fans.

But back on topic - have you tried the new Catalyst 10.8a drivers, Slik?
Old August 30, 2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
I dont like my 480s at all.
If you guys are both so unhappy with your cards you should just trade...

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old August 30, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Another thing i should mention. since i dont know anything about your previous computer...

if your GPU was watercooled as well as your CPU, and your CPU was in the loop AFTER your GPU, your GPU could be heating the water up past the point of the CPUs "actual" running temp. In effect, your CPU is then worse off on water than on air, though 80 degrees load temp is still perfectly fine.

I've seen this happen with my own wc system. running prime95 gave me much cooler temps on my cpu than running prime95 and furmark burn in utility at the same time

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
That is reality TV show material there.. GFXSwap! like wifeswap but graphics cards. :P
Linus, you smart bugger, no wonder NCIX is on it's way to taking over the world. :)
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I am going back to Nvidia period! The drivers for the 5970 cards are not fine tuned by ATI and I am not going to change drivers every time I play a different game.As many of you know,I have had issues with my system relating to heat and I believe the Proc.,running at 80c and over when gaming was just not right on a liquid cooled system.I called Dell and after some brief conversations with Alienware Tech.and 1 email to Customer support,Dell agreed to give me a full refund even tho the rig as over 5 months old.They have treated me so good that I ordered another Area 51 ALX only this time with Nvidia 480s in SLI.There has been myriad problems with the initial release of these Beasts but after reading the Alienware Club Forums,it appears Dell has pretty much fixed all problems that had driven me nuts since the first rig. I can't say enough about Dell and how I have been treated by them.Who can tell me of any other computer company that have done what Dell has done for me.I always had Nvidia cards in past rigs and I hope I made the right choice.I guess I'll find out.One thing that surprised me was that the Nvidia cards cost more than the 5970s. I will let us know how the new rig performs and whether or not the temperatures were normal for the 980x as Dell told me in the first place.Here I go again.I will hire a forklift to get the thing in my house. Bye all.
Damn shame to hear about your troubles. I am glad they made it right for you. Always glad to hear when a company actually goes above and beyond. :)

Where they are sending you a new system I doubt you will want to build another new one anytime soon. BUT when it does come time and if you want to save some $$$ (OK a boat load compared to alienware) and get a bit more out of your chosen hobby, there is a great group of guys here who would be more than willing to help out. Food for thought atleast....and in the mean time...enjoy your new beast!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
That's a problem we have here. People buy 480 and come a week after to trade them for 5870...then we have tons of open box

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||