Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
dude, seriously if your having that much trouble with multiple computers built by a company... regardless of their support the company cannot be said to be reliable. They are mostly right about being the best brand name company for gaming grade computers, but they're still crap compared to what enthusiasts can do.

I can understand what you mean about the support though, and your right it is very important, but at what cost?

I't sounds like you've been using dell for a while now, and that you've had alot of problems, and because of it, I'm going to assume that you feel that amount of issues with a computer are normal... its NOT. You shouldnt have ANY issues with hardware. Of course your going to get the "odd" problem, but dude, you've listed more problems in that last long post than i've had in the history of my personal computer experience. I'm sure i'm not the only one here that could say that.

I'll make you a deal bro, you pay me what it cost you to buy that alienware, I'll build you a higher quality unit and even give you my HOME number and permission to call me 24/7 for any issue you might have. I can say that because I know you wont HAVE any issues.

I'm not kidding. I have a place of business and everything. I'll do this for you. I've got dozens of builds worth of experience (yes only dozens, i dont "do" builds for a living, only by request, and almost always gaming grade computers) I've only had 3 support calls. 1 because psu blew on power outage and 2 because i used mushkin ascent ram in 2 builds and they both came back. I dont use that ram anymore.

But seriously man. Continuing to buy from a company because they have "good" support when they continuously sell you unreliable computers is ludicrous.
I did consider you but only for all the parts for a gaming rig.I have a tusted friend Killswitch that lives in the same town I do and he offered to build one for me if I wanted.He built his own rig with ATI cards in crossfire etc.I wanted to check it out on my 30 inch monitor with all games and options maxed out.It ran everything we threw at it. Amazing build.Perhaps I should have made a choice at that time. I could have but I didn't.Oh well,any more issues etc. with the new one and there is no doubt what choice I make.If that happens and I can include you in the building,rest assured I will.Thanks and Take care.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 31, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
dude, seriously if your having that much trouble with multiple computers built by a company... regardless of their support the company cannot be said to be reliable. They are mostly right about being the best brand name company for gaming grade computers, but they're still crap compared to what enthusiasts can do.

I can understand what you mean about the support though, and your right it is very important, but at what cost?

I't sounds like you've been using dell for a while now, and that you've had alot of problems, and because of it, I'm going to assume that you feel that amount of issues with a computer are normal... its NOT. You shouldnt have ANY issues with hardware. Of course your going to get the "odd" problem, but dude, you've listed more problems in that last long post than i've had in the history of my personal computer experience. I'm sure i'm not the only one here that could say that.

I'll make you a deal bro, you pay me what it cost you to buy that alienware, I'll build you a higher quality unit and even give you my HOME number and permission to call me 24/7 for any issue you might have. I can say that because I know you wont HAVE any issues.

I'm not kidding. I have a place of business and everything. I'll do this for you. I've got dozens of builds worth of experience (yes only dozens, i dont "do" builds for a living, only by request, and almost always gaming grade computers) I've only had 3 support calls. 1 because psu blew on power outage and 2 because i used mushkin ascent ram in 2 builds and they both came back. I dont use that ram anymore.

But seriously man. Continuing to buy from a company because they have "good" support when they continuously sell you unreliable computers is ludicrous.
^^^ Perfectly put.....that is the EXACT reason I started ordering my parts, building myself and installing all Software myself...I only ever bought 2 "Pre-built" Rigs in the last 16 yrs or so. and there were always issues with those.....my own built Systems have had no "serious" issues except 1 which required an RMA on a Mobo, but the beauty of hanging out here (HWC) and building yourself, is you'll likely never need to take your computer to any Tech....their are so many Resources available here and most folks here have specific areas that they're expertise shines......honestly...the answers to any issues is available right here......you'd be far better off to get a Member here (if he's willing) to walk you through your first build.....any problems...folks are always here to help!

I wouldn't touch a Dell or any other "Pre-built" Rig with a 100 Ft pole period!

Old August 31, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
nearlyillegiblewalloftext.
I hate to tell ya so frankly man, but the odds of that many components pooping in the same system is slim to none. Usually high end dell components like the XPS series are quite decent in quality and design. I'm not sure if this issue is leaning more on PEBKAC or sheer luck.

and please don't be afraid to use the spacebar/return key sometimes, it's really REALLY exhausting just trying to keep track of where I'm reading

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 31, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Yes, but in terms of computers, the amount of heat produced is actually more important than the temperature.

I'm not dismissing your experiences, but both of you have a history of being favourable to nVidia products, so you're more likely to downplay or dismiss issues with their products, whereas Tzetsin is more impartial in that respect having owned and used both ATI and nVidia-based systems.
Well I will admit that I am more favouriable to Nvidia only because I have always had a better experience with them plus I love their extra features that I so wish were unlocked for ATI cards (Physx, 3D).

Although I have owned my fair share of ATI cards. A X700 that died on me, 3 4870's, a 4870 x2, and a 5850. I loved the 4870 series and the 5850 I have but they never had as high minimum frame rates as the comparable nvidia cards and they didn't have physx. Plus EVGA is a very good company to me and can't say the same for Sapphire. If a company doesn't treat me well they never will get my money again (unless they are Rogers)

The 480's do require a lot more power so the will produce more heat so yes the 480's will be hotter and will increase room temperature faster than a 5970 no doubt.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old August 31, 2010, 06:56 PM
Top Prospect

IMHO, Physx is a gimmick, and wouldn't sway my purchase in any decision. In most games, its benefits are negligible.
Old August 31, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by heflys20 View Post
IMHO, Physx is a gimmick, and wouldn't sway my purchase in any decision. In most games, its benefits are negligible.
True...around like 1% of recent game really suport physX..but it's a good argument for many Nvidia Fanboy that forget to read the tiny list on nvidia site.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 31, 2010, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Now now now......Martin....no one said the f word here .....we were doing so well too ;)

Old August 31, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Now now now......Martin....no one said the f word here .....we were doing so well too ;)
hein? Seriously rj I don't understand what you mean

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 31, 2010, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
hein? Seriously rj I don't understand what you mean
Fanboy/fanboi/etc
Now watch me get an infraction point for saying it. :P
Old August 31, 2010, 08:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Fanboy/fanboi/etc
Now watch me get an infraction point for saying it. :P
Coming right up! Just kidding.

The issue is when one member calls another a fanboy in a derogatory manner. Then the mods treat it as a flaming infraction. Fortunately people got the hint during the Fermi release when SKYMTL threatened to ban anyone even using the word. Things have cooled down since then but the issue heats up whenever Fermi temps are discussed (cwhutIdidthar).