Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2010, 09:58 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
while others are seeing extremely high temps with even higher fan speeds? Unless those others are indeed pushing 30" Native Res or multi monitor systems
Tzetsin is using a triple-monitor nVidia 3D Vision Surround setup.
Old August 30, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Tzetsin is using a triple-monitor nVidia 3D Vision Surround setup.
Sorry...Tsetzin / Zero..didn't get that part.....that most certainly deserves a 3rd 480 and WB's ;)...........do I hear a Black Widow lurking about ....?

Old August 30, 2010, 11:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here are those articles I was talking about. First link is testing SLI 480's and the second link has videos of all the fan speeds of 470,480,5850,5870 - but no 5970. They do however have two 5870's in crossfire!

Real World Temperatures & Sound - GeForce GTX 480 Real World Temperatures & Sound | [H]ard|OCP

Power - Temp - Sound - NVIDIA Fermi - GTX 470 - GTX 480 - GTX 480 SLI Review | [H]ard|OCP
Old August 31, 2010, 05:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I will try to provide you all with a perspective. When I first received my rig it was nothing buy problrms. Everything in it was making noise as well as thermal software being faulty.Dell replaced a bunch of parts including the front door panel. Why they did that I don't know.As Dell was unable to find a fix for ANY of the noise and heat issues,they decided to exchange my Area 51. They did send me another rig and upgraded it quite a bit.The replacement arrived and the machine was just as screwed as the first one.Dell replaced the I.O. board,the Power Supply,and the mother board over a period of six weeks.Everything in it was running hot. I figured the heat from the Proc. combined with hest from the Video cards and whatever else was somehow the problem. I tried all the video drivers thinking that the drivers could be a heat related thing but there was no real change.I must say,the 10.8 drivers did help quite a bit however heat remained. 85 to over 90c when gaming.My previous rig was a Dell XPS 730x with a factory overclocked i7 etc. Pretty much the same configuration as the Area 51 but with two Nvidia 280 GTX cards.There were no problems at all with that machine which my wife now uses.Also,when reading the Alienware Club Forums,there are few if any issues posted there regarding Nvidia. The great majority having video problems are those with ATI. As far as building a rig goes,Killswitch would build one for me and I trust him to do it but who do I call when the shit hits?Some of the problems I have had may well be nothing to worry about however,when you spend the kind of money I did for a Gaming computer combined with a Company saying they build the best,then that is exactly what I want.Period. As all of my previous rigs had Nvidia in them and that I feel more at ease with them,my new rig will have them.Don't get me wrong,the 5970s are super cards.I believe that with two cards in each 5970 is going to create a problem at the get go. When you put them in a machine with a pile of other high end stuff and they are not configured bang on,Bang On,you will have issues.Dell has assured me that the new one I ordered WILL be assembled and configured properly. If it is not,they will again refund.Dell has been very very good to me.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 31, 2010, 05:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
You're right!! (Don't let it get to your head! ) I googled it and lots of people were asking the same thing.... Is 80C too hot for a 980x? I thought 80C was too high simply because it's such an extremely high temp compared to what most people are used to seeing for CPUs, especially on water. As a rule of thumb I always figured 60C was the highest you'd ever want to see.

Anyhow, I have some ideas to help his new rig run cooler. It'll mostly be a trial and error deal though. In his case there was room for 2 more 120mm fans in the top of the case, so I put a few in to blow hot air out. I think I might try using them as intake in the top of the case, including changing the fan for the cpu's rad as an intake.
Thanks Killswitch, I trust that anything you do will be done right.I am fortunate to have you as a friend.I also trust the opinions and suggestions of the members of this Forum.It's pretty much why I joined.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 31, 2010, 08:39 AM
Top Prospect

Sorry to hear your pain, I'm enjoying my new ATI card immensely, and I've been using Nvidia/3dfx for years.
Old August 31, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

dude, seriously if your having that much trouble with multiple computers built by a company... regardless of their support the company cannot be said to be reliable. They are mostly right about being the best brand name company for gaming grade computers, but they're still crap compared to what enthusiasts can do.

I can understand what you mean about the support though, and your right it is very important, but at what cost?

I't sounds like you've been using dell for a while now, and that you've had alot of problems, and because of it, I'm going to assume that you feel that amount of issues with a computer are normal... its NOT. You shouldnt have ANY issues with hardware. Of course your going to get the "odd" problem, but dude, you've listed more problems in that last long post than i've had in the history of my personal computer experience. I'm sure i'm not the only one here that could say that.

I'll make you a deal bro, you pay me what it cost you to buy that alienware, I'll build you a higher quality unit and even give you my HOME number and permission to call me 24/7 for any issue you might have. I can say that because I know you wont HAVE any issues.

I'm not kidding. I have a place of business and everything. I'll do this for you. I've got dozens of builds worth of experience (yes only dozens, i dont "do" builds for a living, only by request, and almost always gaming grade computers) I've only had 3 support calls. 1 because psu blew on power outage and 2 because i used mushkin ascent ram in 2 builds and they both came back. I dont use that ram anymore.

But seriously man. Continuing to buy from a company because they have "good" support when they continuously sell you unreliable computers is ludicrous.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old August 31, 2010, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
but who do I call when the shit hits?
Comeoonn man! Really?
Internet! Hardware Canucks! Awesome! Sexy! Dangerous!

This makes me sad. :(
Old August 31, 2010, 08:52 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Everything in it was running hot. I figured the heat from the Proc. combined with hest from the Video cards and whatever else was somehow the problem. I tried all the video drivers thinking that the drivers could be a heat related thing but there was no real change.I must say,the 10.8 drivers did help quite a bit however heat remained. 85 to over 90c when gaming.
Those temperatures are perfectly fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. And if you really have heat and noise issues, I would chalk that up to a poorly-designed chassis rather than problems with your components. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting a machine with GTX 480s only to find that you have the same or even worse issues with heat.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Those temperatures are perfectly fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. And if you really have heat and noise issues, I would chalk that up to a poorly-designed chassis rather than problems with your components. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting a machine with GTX 480s only to find that you have the same or even worse issues with heat.
The heat and noise was no doubt from the Hardware.The chassis design is actuall very good for ais in and air out. The Alienware also has shrouds etc.directing air properly over the hardware.For example,when the Power Supply unit was replaced,it was much more quiet and allowed me to better hear the noise and whines from other hardware.The exhaust from the fans on the video cards was not too loud at all. When I cranked both card fans to 100% it was not obtrusive nor did it have the higher pitched sound I was hearing.The fan on the liquid cooling did not make a lot of noise eiyher. It was the temps that got my attention. A lot of my issues may well have been 'imagined' to a degree on my part and I admit this freelyThe deed has been done however,but I can say this,,,If the new one has to be replaced or repaired again I WILL get a refund and ask Killswitch to help build one.Thank you.