Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2010, 06:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Wait. He knowingly bought an over priced computer where the mfg decided it would be a smart idea to cool the two Radeon HD 5970 cards and an i7 whatever with just a single 120.1 rad?
WTH?
If you are gonna spend that much on a system it had damn well better come with 120.3! Jeez.

Or am I totally wrong here?
I don't have much experience with water cooling but I don't think that even a 120.3 would be enough to cool everything properly if that was the case.

Regardless MacJunky, the 5970's are running with their stock air coolers. Only the CPU is on water.
Old August 30, 2010, 06:36 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
I dunno dude, but this seems pretty clear to me.

Having a CPU run at 80C is pretty important if you're at all concerned about keeping components at reasonable temps and prolonging the life of your rig.
No, it's not. An Intel CPU running at 80C will survive far longer than its useful lifespan. Semiconductor devices are far less sensitive to heat than people believe. There's a reason Tjmax is 100C (and the thermal shutdown point is a good amount higher than that).
Old August 30, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Well one thing to paying more for a retail vs building it himself...is he got a new system. As much as we loathe to admit it, some of the money we are saving vs retail prebuilt is in doing this kind of tradeoff (we get the parts cheaper vs hassle factor vs tech support). He didnt have to deal with any mfger besides dell....and I doubt AMD would have been as accommodating over driver issues. ;)

Two sides to every coin guys. Life is a series of trade offs...etc etc etc

I prefer to build my own and encourage most peeps to at least try it once. But maybe his time and peace of mind is worth more to him then money? Who knows.

:)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 30, 2010, 07:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
No, it's not. An Intel CPU running at 80C will survive far longer than its useful lifespan. Semiconductor devices are far less sensitive to heat than people believe. There's a reason Tjmax is 100C (and the thermal shutdown point is a good amount higher than that).
You're right!! (Don't let it get to your head! ) I googled it and lots of people were asking the same thing.... Is 80C too hot for a 980x? I thought 80C was too high simply because it's such an extremely high temp compared to what most people are used to seeing for CPUs, especially on water. As a rule of thumb I always figured 60C was the highest you'd ever want to see.

Anyhow, I have some ideas to help his new rig run cooler. It'll mostly be a trial and error deal though. In his case there was room for 2 more 120mm fans in the top of the case, so I put a few in to blow hot air out. I think I might try using them as intake in the top of the case, including changing the fan for the cpu's rad as an intake.
Old August 30, 2010, 07:02 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
You're right!! (Don't let it get to your head! )
Don't worry, I'm right most of the time so I'm pretty used to it by now .
Old August 30, 2010, 07:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Don't worry, I'm right most of the time so I'm pretty used to it by now .
Funny but true!
Old August 30, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

MM 88. I wouldn't be surprised if those ratings are fudged more than a bit. All I can say is I never hear it. My cpu cooler is the Ultra ChillTec. While it's not overly loud, it's loud enough to mask that fan. I used that same fan as a case exhaust in the Cosmos and never heard it over the cpu cooler even then. It impressed the hell out of me.
I don't know too much about wc systems, but how hard can it be. Heat transfer is the key. If the system isn't cooling enough, maybe more rads and fans would work. Higher volume flowing units could be explored if this was a home built as well. We used water cooling for our industrial hydraulics systems which is a large scale system. We added coolers when temps got high, and placed fans in strategic locations, rads, high heat generated components like pumps,...
You guys are the experts so I would like your opinion. I'm not so sure that a higher volume system would do much without additional rads and fans anyway. What else would you do?
Old August 30, 2010, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
For the umpteenth time, heat and temperature are not the same thing, and a GTX 480 will run just as hot regardless of the amount of airflow in your case. Anyway, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Tzetsin's complaints since he has quite a bit of experience with 480s.
You do realize that describing something as hot can be describing the temperature.

I also would be dismissing my experience with my 480's or rjbarker's experience either.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old August 30, 2010, 09:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
You do realize that describing something as hot can be describing the temperature.

I also would be dismissing my experience with my 480's or rjbarker's experience either.
Yes, but in terms of computers, the amount of heat produced is actually more important than the temperature.

I'm not dismissing your experiences, but both of you have a history of being favourable to nVidia products, so you're more likely to downplay or dismiss issues with their products, whereas Tzetsin is more impartial in that respect having owned and used both ATI and nVidia-based systems.
Old August 30, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ The point is...someone is complaining of 95 - 100C GPU Core Temps with his Fan set to 90 - 100 % wtf.........of course its friggin loud...we all know that 90 - 100% Fan speed is intolerable on a 480...hell it was intolerable on my 280's and my 260's as well. With that said, if someone is seeing 95 - 100 C GPU Core Temps (Zero..call it Temps / Heat..ambient heat...thermals...whatever you want)......you have Case Air Flow issues...and YES...improving the Case Air Flow, will indeed lower your GPU Core temps while gaming and so will increasing your Fan speed.
It really is a simply concept...higher fan speed on GPU's and...more Case fans providing cool air and expelling hot air ......will lower your GPU Core Temp.....so, why am I only seeing 80- 85c @ 80% Fan speed playing Metro with everything "cranked" at 1920 x 1200 res...while others are seeing extremely high temps with even higher fan speeds? Unless those others are indeed pushing 30" Native Res or multi monitor systems they obviously have Case Air Flow issues....simple really, certainly not rocket science!! M GPU Core Temps dropped by as much as 8c by adding the 1 140mm Xiggy to the side of my case....that pretty much solved any of my heat...thermal....temp issues with these Cards ...so I put it to rest and am happy with them....overall about 10c warmer (at load) then 280 / 85's...big deal?...nope ;)

Anyhoo.......I did come close to purchasing a 5970 or 5870 x 2 just before I dove into the 480's, but have absolutely no regrets, as I had none with my 8800GTX's, 260's, and 280's (you enjoying em Jay?).......you're absolutely right Zero...I AM nvidia biased and will not dispute that at all, they've always worked perfectly well for me and when I'm purchasing multi Cards and want the Drivers to perform admirably..they do.......so why would I switch Teams....;) Perhaps one day ATI will blow me out of the water with some wonderfully grand top end product......yeah ..the 5870 whooped my old 280, but remember I had 3 of em and the Tri Sli scaling with those Cards was amazing and whooped a XFire 5870 set-up....so.......must...wait....for....Fermi....haha ahaha

Its all in fun guys...please don't take anything personal or to heart...we have what we have..be happy with what yo have or.....get rid of it....or fix it ;)

Its a good thing that we have two highly competitive companies always pushing for the Market........."The way it meant to be played" ;)

Cheers to all of you ...a big thumbs up ;)