Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2010, 04:56 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
lol 90 cfm rated at 16 DBs what a great lie from a brand:P maybe at 10 feet of the fan it can be true.
Its also a 230mm fan dont forget.
Old August 30, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This really is a flame war in here. First 480's are not that hot if you have good air flow. I don't know why some people pay over $1000 on GPU's but only spend $50 on a case. The cards are not that noisy either and I bet a 5970 is just as noisy.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old August 30, 2010, 05:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
First 480's are not that hot if you have good air flow.
For the umpteenth time, heat and temperature are not the same thing, and a GTX 480 will run just as hot regardless of the amount of airflow in your case. Anyway, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Tzetsin's complaints since he has quite a bit of experience with 480s.
Old August 30, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Woah woah woah woah. So you're ditching ATI because your CPU is running too hot, and/or because Dell didn't build your system properly? I don't get it.

As for fan noise, there was a [H]ard article with videos showing the noise of 5series(ATI) and 4series(NV) cards. Maybe I will find it.
Old August 30, 2010, 05:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Ok and after so much years you never figured out before that dual GPU single card was crap and now you cry because you saw these issue??? seriously...Take 2 5850 in cross fire and you won't have these issue. Also, next time DIY, pre-build system are crap and it's not new that they give issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
So what exactly is your problem with the ATI cards? Anyway, if you're concerned about heat, switching to GTX 480s isn't going to make anything better. However, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having your CPU running at 80C.
Guys, it's not the 5970's themselves that he's having issues with. IT'S THE DRIVERS for the cards that are causing issues and he's not getting the expected performance that he was hoping for in all the games that he plays.

The heat problem he has is with the 980x. In my opinion there's no way it should be running at ~80*C under load with water!

He told me about his plans over the weekend..... right away I called him and tried to talk him into letting me build his next rig for him. But he likes the tech support at Dell. He can call them whenever he needs to, where he can't always be bugging the crap out of his friends for help.

However Slik don't forget, you can ALWAYS look for help at Hardware Canucks!!!!! This place can be of more technical support sometimes then Dell (or me)!!

I kind of wish you would have went Christmas shopping in August at NCIX and let me put everything together for you.
Old August 30, 2010, 05:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Guys, it's not the 5970's themselves that he's having issues with. IT'S THE DRIVERS for the cards that are causing issues and he's not getting the expected performance that he was hoping for in all the games that he plays.
Well, that's why I asked the question in the first sentence of my post. He never specified exactly what kinds of issues he was having, and he never asked for help about them on the forum as far as I can remember, so I wanted to know exactly what was wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
The heat problem he has is with the 980x. In my opinion there's no way it should be running at ~80*C under load with water!
Perhaps not, but who cares anyway? It's not like having the CPU run at 80C makes a difference to anything.
Old August 30, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You also have to concider the personnal factor. speed for speed the 480 fan is louder. But for me silent is THE most important thing. Running the fan at 40% is my limit with these card. Over that it's to noisy. a 5970 in a well vented case can play a game with fan around 40% without hitting the throttle. A 480 can't. If OP was thinking that the 5970 were noisy, then he probably haven't jump in the right train. Also, I saw identical Dell few time at my job ( some people are less lucky and can't have service from dell here in quebec ). You can't actually put a fan infront of the video card because the intake for the CPU cooling is there. So the hot air from the CPU go right into the video card. Unless there is few possible config the only way to add a fan is to let it hang under the HDD.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 30, 2010, 05:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Well, that's why I asked the question in the first sentence of my post. He never specified exactly what kinds of issues he was having, and he never asked for help about them on the forum as far as I can remember, so I wanted to know exactly what was wrong.

Perhaps not, but who cares anyway? It's not like having the CPU run at 80C makes a difference to anything.
I dunno dude, but this seems pretty clear to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I am going back to Nvidia period! The drivers for the 5970 cards are not fine tuned by ATI and I am not going to change drivers every time I play a different game.As many of you know,I have had issues with my system relating to heat and I believe the Proc.,running at 80c and over when gaming was just not right on a liquid cooled system.
Having a CPU run at 80C is pretty important if you're at all concerned about keeping components at reasonable temps and prolonging the life of your rig.

Last edited by Killswitch; August 30, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old August 30, 2010, 06:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
If OP was thinking that the 5970 were noisy, then he probably haven't jump in the right train. Also, I saw identical Dell few time at my job ( some people are less lucky and can't have service from dell here in quebec ). You can't actually put a fan infront of the video card because the intake for the CPU cooling is there. So the hot air from the CPU go right into the video card. Unless there is few possible config the only way to add a fan is to let it hang under the HDD.
This has nothing to do with video card fans being noisy.
Also his rig has a liquid cooler with a 120.1 rad mounted on the 'roof' of the case. This 'identical' rig that you speak of is completely different.
Old August 30, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wait. He knowingly bought an over priced computer where the mfg decided it would be a smart idea to cool the two Radeon HD 5970 cards and an i7 whatever with just a single 120.1 rad?
WTH?
If you are gonna spend that much on a system it had damn well better come with 120.3! Jeez.

Or am I totally wrong here?