Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2010, 09:05 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default A $30 Adapter, a World of Eyefinity Possibilities

Multi monitor gaming setups are expensive but through the need for an active DisplayPort connector on at least one monitor, ATI's Eyefinity was additionally limiting for potential customers. Prior to today, expensive adapters were available for DVI-equipped monitors but now AMD and their partners are releasing an inexpensive dongle that does 3/4 o... [ Read full article ]
Old August 29, 2010, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Although I can make no use of it, this sounds like a good step towards encouraging people to go with eyefinity. Bravo AMD/ATI!
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 29, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Where was this a month ago? For that matter, 9 months ago. At least they're finally doing it.
Old August 29, 2010, 09:32 PM
MVP

I would love to see some sort of diagram showing everything connected, including the monitors, adapter and video card. I am having a tough time visualizing how this is supposed to work. Do you connect one monitor with the adapter, and the other two with DVI cords from the two DVI outputs on the card?
Old August 29, 2010, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
I would love to see some sort of diagram showing everything connected, including the monitors, adapter and video card. I am having a tough time visualizing how this is supposed to work. Do you connect one monitor with the adapter, and the other two with DVI cords from the two DVI outputs on the card?
Yes, while using 3 monitors one has to use display port. The other two monitors can be used via HDMI and DVI, or 2 DVIs. I have a craptastic phone pic if you want to see.
Old August 29, 2010, 09:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm waiting until someone makes a better, cheaper version of THIS to get into surround gaming. I've used eyefinity and NV surround, and I'm not that impressed. Haven't yet used 3D surround though... but for that, I'd probably wait for autostereoscopic displays. Big, curved ones :)
Old August 30, 2010, 05:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
It can go like this:

Adapter + DVI + DVI

Adapter + DVI + HDMI

Adapter + DVI + HDMI to DVI adapter

Adapter + DVI + DVI to HDMI adapter

Basically, three of any card's video outputs must be populated.
Old August 30, 2010, 05:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Figures this happens after I buy an active DP adapter!

At any rate, when I have my monitors plugged in, it mirrors the primary DVI and DP ports.
If I have my 30" on primary DVI and a 20" on DP, the 20" goes out of range trying to match 2560x1600.
For this reason I don't think this $30 adapter would have worked in my situation anyway :(

Does Eyefinity work with three different monitor resolutions yet? Still waiting for support for 1200x1600 + 2560x1600 + 1200x1600!
Old August 30, 2010, 05:59 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Didn't they promise this close to a year ago when they released the 5870...
Old August 30, 2010, 06:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What about the HD6K cards, will they also have a DP? If yes I do hope they include such a dongle with all the mid-high end cards.