Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2010, 02:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default GTX 480 Fan Problem

Hi all,

I have an EVGA GTX 480 and I have encountered a random error that I am hoping others here may have heard about. I am running NVidia 258.96 drivers, they were installed after old drivers were removed and Driver Sweeper was run. I use EVGA Precision to control the fan speed, it is set to 70% and idles around 40C. As I am playing a game the temps vary depending on the game, of course. But occasionally the fan stops running at 70% and the temps climb to 100C +. When I notice it, I open up Precision and try setting a different fan speed and it doesn't respond. It isn't until after I boot the machine will Precision control the fan again.

It is an annoyance, as I don't like the idea of running the GPU over 100C. The machine seems to work fine, the game doesn't lag or lockup, the temps just climb and the fan seems to run somewhere near 35 - 40%.

I am open to ideas here. I reloaded the drivers clean. I have the latest Precision. I tried MSI Afterburner, and it seems to do the same thing with that program as well. No fan control, and a reboot is needed to regain control.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 29, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seems that your fan is just dying or the thermal interface of the card is running in some issue. I would contact EVGA service and send the card for a RMA.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 29, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Seems that your fan is just dying or the thermal interface of the card is running in some issue. I would contact EVGA service and send the card for a RMA.
Agreed. This doesn't sound so much like a software problem, as it sounds like a dying fan. This is reinforced by the same issue happening with multiple OC software. If it was a bug in a specific driver, we'd have heard an uproar surrounding it already.
Old August 29, 2010, 03:52 PM
Banned
F@H

ok hold on a sec, the fan stops, or it stops at 70% speed and you cant control it? what other software do you have installed, nv control pannel perhaps?
Old August 29, 2010, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Prior to contacting Evga:
1. Uninstall MSI Afterburner
2. Ensure you have the latest version of GPU-Z installed (if you happen to have it already and / or use it)
3. Clean install of your previous Drivers (did you have this same problem with previous Drivers ? )
4. Clean install of latest Precision

If the problem persists, try another clean install of the latest Drivers along with Precision (always install Precision after your clean Driver installation).
I'm not totally convinced this is a Hardware problem....thier have been numerous Posts on Evga Forum of issues with certain versions of Precision, GPU-Z or using multiple GPU Software Programs.

Also, try leaving your Precision settngs at default (Fan on Auto) and see if it ramps up properly.....

If, after all the above, still no joy, contact evga support.

PS Just realized you're the first Member I've seen here also from Courtenay

Old August 29, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
ok hold on a sec, the fan stops, or it stops at 70% speed and you cant control it? what other software do you have installed, nv control pannel perhaps?
Good point here dan! If the fan is stock at 70 and wont get over then try RjBaker tip. If the fan just stop then...I carry on with contact EVGA. Running a card like that without a fan is really not a good idea.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 29, 2010, 05:58 PM
Banned
F@H

ive seen a few cases where the nv cp did mishaps. if you have the time to load up ubuntu(even live cd but i dont remember if you get full drive support without an update) or something and check again it becomes clear. do it every time i cant find a blue screen trigger/problem. no bs there? windows needs to go/reinstall.
Old August 29, 2010, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ I have never had any issues related to nvcp, BUT I have had numerous issues with Precision and certain Drivers not playing nice together, never Fan not functioning, but GPU Core not downclocking / upclocking properly....always been able to solve by trying different Drivers / Precision until I find the right combo.........actually I'm still running the 1st Beta 25X.XX Drivers as it has been working flawlessly.

That's why I'm curious if this started after installing a new Driver.........if so...try rolling back to the previous working Driver...

Now, if his Fan speed is set manually to 70% it obviously won't ramp up past that regardless of how the Temps climb....basically I run two "Profiles" in Precision:
Desktop Internet = 55% = 40C
Gaming = 80% = approx. 80 - 85C Max

Think we need a little more clarification from the OP as to exactly whats happening.

Old August 29, 2010, 07:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the responses.

_dangtx_ - It would be great if I could take a video rather than try and explain :) I can't say what speed the fan is running at because when the temp climbs the fan slows down. It does not stop, I can see it turning, I just don't know what speed it is turning. Also, when this happens, no matter what I set Precision's fan speed to, it does not respond.

RJBarker - I will run through and try your suggestions. I had already unistalled MSI Afterburner after the last episode. I thought maybe it was the problem as I had read about a fan bug on another forum. I'll grab the latest drivers from EVGA again and sweep the drive too. I will also download the latest Precision and eLeet too. As for being from Courtenay, I just moved here from Winnipeg on a military transfer... I am extremely pleased to be here and I don't plan on leaving now that I made it :)

In case anyone is wondering what my specs are, it was in the sig, but I'll throw in what I can think of too.

Video is an eVGA GTX 480 vanilla, no overclock. Stock backplate with high flow on the way.

I have a Logitech G15 keyboard, and using Precision I have the data in the LCD so I can keep an eye on it. That is how I know it has crapped the bed on me as the display shows 100C + and fan speed at 70% but I know it isn't 70% because I can hear 70%! I did have a black screen of death, the monitor went black with the typical no signal error, the LCD display said my temp was 110C, GPU usage at 99% and fan at 100% but the fan was not blowing like a banshee. I couldn't alt-tab, but the music on my game was playing away cheerily in the background right up until I powered off to recover. I read about some black screen of death errors linked to software, but I'll have to go do more reading on that as it happened before I cleaned things up, but just once since I cleaned things up.

Anyway, I'll be back after I clean out the drivers and software, reinstall and then see what the heck happens next!

Thanks for the advice and ideas, I'll see what happens next.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 29, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ye keep us posted Dwayne......I'm at sea right now or perhaps I could swing by Comox and check it out for you.....I won't be home until 15th Sept....Welcome to the Comox Valley....!!