Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2010, 11:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to read something from Tom's Hardware. I'm surprised the writers can even tie their own shoes.
Agreed. Stick to Anandtech articles.
Old September 16, 2010, 10:47 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by importpsycho View Post
I ordered MSI cyclone for $229.99 at NCIX sale
I thought it was hot deal until I looked at EVGA superclocked for $239.99 -$10 MIR
same price, EVGA longer warranty, higher factory clocked, cooler that exahust hot air out...
should I cancel MSI?
it is sold out so maybe it's hot deal? IDK.....
I have the MSI cooler and its my favorite cooler ever. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Almost hits ambient at idle, under load (stock volts) never went above 50-52C. With 1.03 volts it never went above 60-62.

My previous 5770's hit 90+C with stock voltages (same case, same ambient)...
Old September 16, 2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Is the 768mb version a significant hit? Or just a bit of a disadvantage at higher resolutions? They seem to do well in benchmarks despite not being quite 1GB of memory. I thought they might not be as good for overclocking but regarding differences, are they at a good price now? $160-ish if on sale seems pretty good? If it wasn't for those darn rebates, I'd be tempted to scrounge the cash.
Old September 16, 2010, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Is the 768mb version a significant hit? Or just a bit of a disadvantage at higher resolutions? They seem to do well in benchmarks despite not being quite 1GB of memory. I thought they might not be as good for overclocking but regarding differences, are they at a good price now? $160-ish if on sale seems pretty good? If it wasn't for those darn rebates, I'd be tempted to scrounge the cash.

Its not that bad of a hit, at almost all resolutions. Check the benchies here, I think its in the order of 5% almost all the way up to 25x16. Usually its at higher resolutions, not lower, that it actually affects you because of the smaller frame buffer.

That being said, if you're folding, apparently the 1 gigs fold the new WU's much better with the extra bandwith and ROPs then the 768's (Geokilla talked about this I believe, so I cant back it up personally).
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 16, 2010, 04:43 PM
Banned
F@H

about 10 percent on average, which could in theory,and maybe perhaps practice, make or break a gaming session at a certain resolution with eye candy on(or off)

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/GeFor...es/perfrel.gif
Old September 16, 2010, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Its not that bad of a hit, at almost all resolutions. Check the benchies here, I think its in the order of 5% almost all the way up to 25x16. Usually its at higher resolutions, not lower, that it actually affects you because of the smaller frame buffer.

That being said, if you're folding, apparently the 1 gigs fold the new WU's much better with the extra bandwith and ROPs then the 768's (Geokilla talked about this I believe, so I cant back it up personally).
I've never folded so I'd be a total newb at it so would I care right away if it doesn't fold as well? What am I losing?

Don't get me wrong, the 1Gb version sounds ideal but a $230 video card might be hard for me to justify at the moment and I figure whatever I get, I doubt I'd change it any time soon but you never know. ;)

I checked the benchies and they look pretty satisfying for a 768mb card. I'd have to see if I can get up to $160 if the rebate/discounts can remain for a while. That's HD 5770 territory and to be honest, I only have two reasons to go ATI: 1) lower heat/power and 2) alleged advantage in Linux although that's a whole other controversial issue that is only interesting to Linux users. :)

Thanks for the reply. I think these small percentage differences probably aren't much unless one is really fussy, right? I mean, are you going to notice missing a few frame rates? I am not sure but that's another reason I don't really need the top of the line - I'm not gaming enough to require $300+ cards. :) The HD 6000 series might be interesting but probably big money. Oh well, longer I wait, hopefully, the more options I'll have!
Old September 16, 2010, 04:49 PM
Banned
F@H

if youre hovering around 30 or so fps, the extra few to get you over the hill will make a difference.
Old September 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Same dilemma I'm having. I see the 768mb Cyclone on NCIX now has a 45 dollar discount before the 20 dollar MIR, which is a nice deal even if 30 dollars of that discount is from the Nvidia price drop. If I can find the 1 GB Cyclone or one of the Asus DirectCUs in the 200-225 range though, I'd prefer that.

Last edited by chanman; September 16, 2010 at 05:50 PM.