Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Edit:
@Technix: If you are not worried about warranty and have good air flow then I would most definately go with this one, Newegg.ca - EVGA 01G-P3-1372-TR GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
I see.... also a reference card but they don't have the full exhaust air flow. My case is an Antec 300 and although I read it is good for air flow, I was curious what's my best alternative for cards with exhaust air flow?

Probably the EE series? I'm just curious whether I want reference design and a much cheaper card or have all the air flow go out the back/exhaust.
Old August 28, 2010, 08:04 PM
MVP

Indeed I decided to go with the MSI cyclone 1gb, but I do have a HAF case so airflow is hardly a concern. If you do get the EE I think EVGA was giving/selling backplates that leaves more space for air. That will help make up for the increased heat in the card and let the fan spin slower.
Old August 30, 2010, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So today at lunch I just went and picked up the card.

Now I just want to skip out on work for the afternoon to put it into my machine.

Old August 30, 2010, 04:24 PM

My System Specs

Good to know. I looked for someone else the other day but couldn't find any. Although I will admit I didn't look at the eVGA ones as I saw the review for one of them here and didn't check to see if the others used the same cooler or not .
Old August 30, 2010, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I have it installed and so far my first impression is that with the fan on auto it is quieter than my 8800GT with the Akimbo cooler. Now if I crank the fan up to 80% it is louder than the 8800 was. But so far it is looking to be cooler than the 8800 was. Now I just have to see how much better the performance is.

Old August 30, 2010, 08:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I ordered MSI cyclone for $229.99 at NCIX sale
I thought it was hot deal until I looked at EVGA superclocked for $239.99 -$10 MIR
same price, EVGA longer warranty, higher factory clocked, cooler that exahust hot air out...
should I cancel MSI?
it is sold out so maybe it's hot deal? IDK.....
Old August 30, 2010, 08:32 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by importpsycho View Post
I thought it was hot deal until I looked at EVGA superclocked for $239.99 -$10 MIR
same price, EVGA longer warranty, higher factory clocked, cooler that exahust hot air out...
should I cancel MSI?
I would rather have the MSI cooler personally. The higher factory clock doesn't make a difference since you'll be able to overclock it much higher with ease anyway.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:19 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by importpsycho View Post
should I cancel MSI?
If you have half decent case airflow the MSI one will be much better. The warranty is another matter, but by the time the warranty expires your card will be obsolete anyway.
Old September 10, 2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

Anyone read this article on Tom's?:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...f104,2714.html
Yes, I know it's Tom's Hardware but a lot of info on 1GB GTX 460 cards. I read some discussion on silentpc forums, too.

I am inclined to like the reference cards, especially the EVGA reference which is a decent price for a 1GB card. I stated this previously, though.... (in this thread?). The MSI Cyclone version is intriguing too but on silentpc, some say it's a bit noisy and the EVGA reference card is preferred at least by one buyer.

silentpcreview.com | View topic - GTX 460 launched today

Maybe some interesting reads?

If only the 1GB card could under $200... would be more appealing to me... oh well. These articles and discussions might be interesting to those considering these cards. I'd really try for a 1GB myself. If there were no more discounts, I'd get the EVGA reference card, I think.
Old September 10, 2010, 05:52 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Anyone read this article on Tom's?
I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to read something from Tom's Hardware. I'm surprised the writers can even tie their own shoes.