Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old August 28, 2010, 12:40 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

while on the subject, besides a few that have a big central fan and dont necessarily vent outside, and maybe one or two more that have the exaust blocked by another dvi port, the rest should pretty much stick to basic design, which wasnt sanctioned by nv if memory serves wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old August 28, 2010, 02:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Well those ones won't help me as they don't have them at Memory Express, but that isn't the real reason while I would not get them. It is because they are the TR models and they do not have life time warranty. I know for a lot of people that doesn't matter as they will be upgrading before the 2 year warranty but even if I do upgrade to another card before then this one would just go into another older machine, so lifetime warranty means something to me.

But if you don't care about the warranty and don't want the EE, then those are the cards for you.
Excellent points, imho! I definitely wouldn't be 'upgrading' and replacing the card any time soon so that's a good reason for me to go for a lifetime warranty card, at least, for me. Since these cards are considered noisy, these fans must be working a bit much to keep the card cool so you never know. I think the lifetime warranty is probably worth the extra $20 although I hate to say it.

I would like the varieties that push the air out the back, too. I am sure one can keep good cooling in an Antec 300 but the air flow would need noisier fans as they'd have to be running faster, maybe? Anyway, the point made by ipaine is good enough for me. I don't know if I can come up with the $200+ smackaroos though but if I decide to go for a GTX 460, I'm going to try for a 1GB EE version, I think.

The other advantage of the lifetime warranty versions (e.g. -AR) is that they might be a bit more inviting if you decided to sell. Say, you decide to go to AMD/ATI's HD 6xxx cards for whatever reason, the GTX 460 EVGA 1GB EE -AR cards will probably retain decent value. They're also said to be good for 'SLI' if that's what you're after. Enough of my $.02.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old August 28, 2010, 03:43 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Well those ones won't help me as they don't have them at Memory Express, but that isn't the real reason while I would not get them. It is because they are the TR models and they do not have life time warranty. I know for a lot of people that doesn't matter as they will be upgrading before the 2 year warranty but even if I do upgrade to another card before then this one would just go into another older machine, so lifetime warranty means something to me.

But if you don't care about the warranty and don't want the EE, then those are the cards for you.
Fair enough on the warranty aspect, but there are other manufacturers that offer two or three year warranties (and Zotac also offers lifetime warranties), and realistically, by the time the warranty is up the cards will either be nearly obsolete or you'll be able to replace them with something equal or better for a low cost. But that's just my opinion; if you feel safer with a lifetime warranty, then more power to you.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old August 28, 2010, 04:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 735
Default

I think he said he'd put the card in another machine rather than 'replace' it outright. If you try to sell it, after 2 or 3 yrs, the warranty is over. Isn't there a chance that might lower the value of the card to prospective sellers? Say, there's two cards for sale and the series is the same but one has no warranty left and one has lifetime, would you choose based on that if the asking prices are close?

Btw, you stated previously in a post:
Quote:
If I were you, I'd avoid the EE models and get one with the reference heatsink if possible.
What's the reason to pursue a reference heatsink? Because, you know what to expect? I am not familiar with the reference heatsinks on GTX 460 cards. I'm familiarizing myself with it, though. Check this?:

ASUS, EVGA, Zotac GeForce GTX 460 Cards Overclocked and Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

So, this is a reference heatsink version, right?

Newegg.ca - EVGA 01G-P3-1370-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old August 28, 2010, 04:44 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

i might have it wrong, but based on this : techPowerUp :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SLI Review :: Page 1 / 27

i thought reference design was the blower style at the back of the card and decent vent space up front.

but they call the 768 reference, cooler in the middle. i mustve looked mostly or rather only at 1gb models to get the 'wrong' idea..


again i read somewhere about nv not necessarily specifing a reference design for the 460's..trying to dig up, mightve been here. interesting because i got asked the question recently and the answer didnt necessarily come out straight forward ahem
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old August 28, 2010, 04:48 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I think he said he'd put the card in another machine rather than 'replace' it outright. If you try to sell it, after 2 or 3 yrs, the warranty is over. Isn't there a chance that might lower the value of the card to prospective sellers? Say, there's two cards for sale and the series is the same but one has no warranty left and one has lifetime, would you choose based on that if the asking prices are close?
I know that he plans to continue using the cards, but my comments still stand. If they do end up failing past the warranty period, it will not be very expensive to replace them with something comparable.

Yes, if you sell the card after a few years, the warranty is over. However, EVGA's lifetime warranty is non-transferable, so it does not make the prospect of buying a used EVGA card any more attractive than buying a card from another brand. When buying used, the warranty generally doesn't factor into it, unless it's an XFX card since they do have transferable warranties (but XFX does not offer 400-series cards).
Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Btw, you stated previously in a post:
What's the reason to pursue a reference heatsink?
I really just should have suggested that he get something that doesn't use the external exhaust EVGA cooler. It performs poorly and is noisy. There are other 460s on the market that have very good non-reference coolers, like the MSI Cyclone cards for example, and those would also be good choices.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old August 28, 2010, 04:49 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i might have it wrong, but based on this : techPowerUp :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SLI Review :: Page 1 / 27

i thought reference design was the blower style at the back of the card and decent vent space up front.

but they call the 768 reference, cooler in the middle. i mustve looked mostly or rather only at 1gb models to get the 'wrong' idea..

again i read somewhere about nv not necessarily specifing a reference design for the 460's..trying to dig up, mightve been here. interesting because i got asked the question recently and the answer didnt necessarily come out straight forward ahem
Well, in that article, it looks as though the 'Axle' card is the only reference design one in that test. Never heard of that company, though.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old August 28, 2010, 04:54 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

hmmmmm


1gb




768mb





Newegg.com - gtx 460 768mb

768mb cooler in the middle


Newegg.com - gtx 460 1gb

plain looking ones(ok one has a nice sticker) with cooler at the back
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old August 28, 2010, 04:59 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I know that he plans to continue using the cards, but my comments still stand. If they do end up failing past the warranty period, it will not be very expensive to replace them with something comparable.

Yes, if you sell the card after a few years, the warranty is over. However, EVGA's lifetime warranty is non-transferable, so it does not make the prospect of buying a used EVGA card any more attractive than buying a card from another brand. When buying used, the warranty generally doesn't factor into it, unless it's an XFX card since they do have transferable warranties (but XFX does not offer 400-series cards).
Right...right. Good point! The warranty only applies so much if you've decided to keep the card for the remainder of the life of it. As the other poster said, he'd move it to another machine so he still might want to get a lifetime warranty card.

I am starting to see the attraction to the reference design type so I think it might be worth it to me to save some bucks and hope the card doesn't die or something. Do you think the one I previously posted is a good choice? The clock is a bit low but maybe it's not a big deal to overclock it a bit?
Quote:
I really just should have suggested that he get something that doesn't use the external exhaust EVGA cooler. It performs poorly and is noisy. There are other 460s on the market that have very good non-reference coolers, like the MSI Cyclone cards for example, and those would also be good choices
Those get good reviews no matter which site you go to as well.

My fav. so far is the one I linked to. EVGA reference cooler version. It's one of the cheaper ones when you price match, $229, and so probably easy to 'control' if you have to. But, then again, price is something I'm particularly looking at so other buyers might find the non-reference cooler types or the EE versions more appealing for what they're looking for. Having to pay an additional $30 or more might not be as big a deal for them?

Anyway, I was mostly just wanting to clear up a few things and keep my options open. I'm planning on shutting up now unless there's new info presented. :) Thanks for all the info! I'm still not sure I can afford these cards but it's good to know more info about it and help narrow them down a bit. Who knows, maybe the prices will come down when I'm more ready to buy... yeah, right. I'm never *that* lucky!
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old August 28, 2010, 05:22 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,055

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I know that he plans to continue using the cards, but my comments still stand. If they do end up failing past the warranty period, it will not be very expensive to replace them with something comparable.
While I do agree with that, under warranty is free and with that comes less downtime while I try to scavenge money to get a new one. But yours is still a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I really just should have suggested that he get something that doesn't use the external exhaust EVGA cooler. It performs poorly and is noisy. There are other 460s on the market that have very good non-reference coolers, like the MSI Cyclone cards for example, and those would also be good choices.
I have based my thoughts about its noise and performance on the review done here. While on an open test bench it is indeed warmer (7 degrees warmer under load) it is the case temperature that does it for me. I know in their situation it was 4 degrees cooler in the case with the EE. I do not have the greatest air circulation in my Zalman case so that is a big factor. If I had lots of air moving around then it would not be quite as big of a problem.

I will say that I do wish I could just test both but since I can't I think I will just go with the 1GB EE model. Right now I have the 8800GT with the Akimbo cooler and I can just barely hear it above my H50 fan when it is set to 60% now that is what I leave it at for idle, if I am gaming I turn it up more to keep the 8800 cool. So if this 1GB EE doesn't go over 55-60% then I'm guessing it will still be quieter than my 8800GT.

Anyone that has direct experience with both cards, I would very much love to here your opinions on the noise levels. Even more so if you have experience with the Akimbo cooler as well.

Edit:
@Technix: If you are not worried about warranty and have good air flow then I would most definately go with this one, Newegg.ca - EVGA 01G-P3-1372-TR GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GTX 460 768Mb vs HD4890 1GB Nevakonaza Video Cards 14 August 25, 2010 07:04 PM
MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 768MB OC Review Comment Thead SKYMTL Video Cards 6 August 22, 2010 10:43 AM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB & GTX 460 768MB Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 126 August 20, 2010 10:01 AM