Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2010, 08:27 PM
MVP

Default GPU HDMI questions

I am currently running my sound through my GT210's hdmi port (soon to be 460 though) instead of through my sound card and I was wondering...
How does this effect the video cards performance?
At the moment its the best solution for me because I also have my 360 connected to my monitor, and the sound system set up is a flaky piece of crap that only works when connected with a single green audio cable.

Its a temporary setup while I start an warranty claim with samsung, but at least I have sound.

A visual explanation because I can

GT210 > HDMI > Monitor > 3.5mm M/M Stereo Audio Cable > Sound system
Xbox > HDMI >

Last edited by Agafaba; August 27, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

As far as I know, there is a small jumper that usually comes with the card that hooks up between the card and a spot on the motherboard. My old 280 OC and 295 GTX both came with this cable. If you didn't get one try talking to the manufacturer's rep as I couldn't find one unless I tried ebay. When I conacted my rep he sent one free of charge. Gotta love XFX. Also with HDMI you don't need anything else, it carries both digital audio and video.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:52 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
How does this effect the video cards performance?
It doesn't.
Old August 27, 2010, 09:29 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
It doesn't.
Good to know, I dont feel as bad using it and being lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
As far as I know, there is a small jumper that usually comes with the card that hooks up between the card and a spot on the motherboard. My old 280 OC and 295 GTX both came with this cable. If you didn't get one try talking to the manufacturer's rep as I couldn't find one unless I tried ebay. When I conacted my rep he sent one free of charge. Gotta love XFX. Also with HDMI you don't need anything else, it carries both digital audio and video.
Haha well I have to hdmi it to my monitor before I can get it to the sound system. Its a really old receiver, and it is barely holding on. Too bad my other one kinda... blew up out of nowhere.