Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   nVidia Control Panel (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/35570-nvidia-control-panel.html)

homer98 August 25, 2010 06:27 PM

nVidia Control Panel

Hey all, just purchased an evga gtx 460, looking to play StarCraft2, I heard that it will support AA through the nvidia control panel. So where can I download it from? I've updated the video drivers, but I can't seem to find where to get the nvidia control panel.

Also, if I want to try overclocking the card, using MSI Afterburner, is there a power management feature somewhere in windows 7 that slows the card down when not pushing a heavy load? will that affect the OC'ed speeds? Thanks for the help, Cheers

Supergrover August 25, 2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer98 (Post 420204)
Hey all, just purchased an evga gtx 460, looking to play StarCraft2, I heard that it will support AA through the nvidia control panel. So where can I download it from? I've updated the video drivers, but I can't seem to find where to get the nvidia control panel.

Also, if I want to try overclocking the card, using MSI Afterburner, is there a power management feature somewhere in windows 7 that slows the card down when not pushing a heavy load? will that affect the OC'ed speeds? Thanks for the help, Cheers

Open windows control panel should be right there.

And yes when there is not a load your GFX will downclock and No it will not effect your overclock.

Sagath August 25, 2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer98 (Post 420204)

You'll have to set up a profile to make SC2 not 'application controlled' for AA support. You should be able to acess the control panel by a simple right click on the desktop and clicking on the "Nvidia control panel" spot.

As to the overclocking/downclocking, as far as I'm aware (atleast with my EVGA) it auto-downclocks when not in 3D apps, even if overvolted and overclocked, and automatically ramps back up when 3D apps launch. No work needed to disable or enable this.

homer98 August 25, 2010 06:50 PM

Hah, wow. I feel dumb :P didnt even think to search computer. Does it allow you to set the AA in game or done only in the control panel?

Thanks for the info about the downclocking/overclocking.

Supergrover August 25, 2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer98 (Post 420223)
Hah, wow. I feel dumb :P didnt even think to search computer. Does it allow you to set the AA in game or done only in the control panel?

Thanks for the info about the downclocking/overclocking.

Open Nvidia CP 3d settings/program settings, customize program, SC2 should show up if it doesnt click add program navigate to the SC2 .exe. Set your settings where you want them, click apply, done.

homer98 August 25, 2010 07:09 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

one more thing, for GPU-Z it is showing--> Bus Interface: PCI-E x16 @ 8x, does that mean the lane is only running at 8x?? whats goin on with that? should I be worried?