Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2010, 01:47 PM
MVP

Default E760 Classified Mobo + SLI GTX 480's = Melted 24 Pin Connectors

Hi guys...just wanted you fellow GTX 480 Sli guys to check your 24 pin connectors on your MB.

Seems the GTX 480s draw so much power..they melt the freaking power connectors

2 of my power pins have melted. I will post pics later. Computer has been acting funny...today it would not boot. I checked power connections and was stunned to see the plastic on the power connectors had melted.

I will post pics later. I doubt it is a bad power supply and everything has a good connecion - PS is a Silverstone Strider ST1500 1500W. Cleaned out melted garbage and system rebooted.

Ughh I am a little miffed manufacturers didn't see this coming ..probably going to sell off my 480's now.

Sli'd these things are pretty much a fire hazard! Unless EVGA has fixed a way to dissipate the heat at the MB connector.

Here is another thread over at Overclockers discussing it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old August 25, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wow thanks for a heads up. good to know about it at least
Old August 25, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What power supplies? ATX standards dictate that power supply draw is controlled by the PSU, NOT the motherboard.

If the motherboard is pulling that many amps on the 12v (and effectively the ground) and the PSU isnt limiting it or shutting down, this is a PSU fault. This is the single problem with single rail PSU's overcurrent protection...it only looks at the sum-whole of the 12v rail and wont limit one line if it tries to draw less then the max OCP.

Try a multi-rail PSU is my suggestion.

Edit: I'm thinking about this some more. I'll post some more thoughts after some more research.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; August 25, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old August 25, 2010, 02:22 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Looks like the board itself is allowing too much power to be drawn through the circuit to the PCI-E slots.
Old August 25, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After reading some more, I'm still not sold this is EVGA's fault. However, I dont think its a PSU fault either.

This is in the GPU companies hands, mostly. Here is why; People on the OC forum are saying that this is happening to multiple boards including ASUS and GB boards, as well as Xfire setups and SLI setups. We wont get a square answer on this one, but imho if your GPU is forcing more draw through the motherboard then its requisite 75w by the PCIE that is a GPU fault that isnt being limited by a motherboard designed to only supply 75w. I can see how this is seemingly both parties fault...but the GPU shouldnt be 'requesting' (more like demanding) more then its maximum PCIE amps.

It really sounds like a bit of fail on all the manufacturers faults that is finally starting to materialize with modern day power hungry GPU's.
1) PSU's are antiquated and still contain lots of amps and lines for 3.3v and 5v, while lacking 12v. Seriously, -12v rails? etc etc...
2) Motherboard manufacturers arnt beefing their boards up (traces, components) to handle high current draw,
3) The consumer is overclocking components and causing a larger power draw then ever before, and lastly;
4) The GPU's of today are drawing more power then ever before, too.

Recipie for disaster. And until they all sit down and sort this junk out, we will probably start to see more and more of it happening.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 25, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

I sure hope they get this under control sooner rather than later. Thanks again for the heads up. I was contemplating getting a 2nd 480. Think I'll put that off for now.
Old August 25, 2010, 02:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know that a multi-rail PSU is necessarily the solution. I'm reasonably sure that I have fried my Strider 850 with 4x18A rails. I think that the CPU and 1st PCI-E run off the same rail, so with my OC'd 920 and 1/2 my OC'd GTX470 on the same rail I was pulling more current than the rail could handle.
Old August 25, 2010, 03:06 PM
Banned
F@H

very interesting. hopefully its just your unit and not a whole bunch that are affected.

piccies will be very welcome :)
Old August 25, 2010, 03:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have a E760 and 480 sli with a HX1000. My connector looks fine so far but I'll keep a eye on it.

Old August 25, 2010, 07:18 PM
MVP

This is what mine look like...perhaps I should have a fan blowing over the 24 pin connector Is this due to running tri sli?

This is a little nerve racking.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!