Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Martin...I take offense to you using the word "stupid"....that comment simply was uncalled for and certainly not necessary (keep it to yourself next time my friend).....read through that Thread I posted "carefully"...us Classy 759 owners are simply looking at options in case the Mobo takes out a few thousand $$ worth of HW.....
btw...Classy 759 NB at 50C ??...please...they're infamous for generating a hell of a lot more heat than that...mine sits between 65 - 70C....(thats with the addition of a Delta 40mm Fan attached to my HS)

As for the Rampage III having "issues"....you know as well as I do that if you Google "any" Mobo you'll find all kinds of "issues" with any of them...I'm still not convinced to go with Giga / Asus or another Classy (3), that will be my decision...!

Martin..I do appreciate the info re: your experience with the Rampage III Extreme, it provides me with more info for making an educated decision on my next Board!

I too will likely contact Evga Support and see what / if I have any options other than purchasing a new Board.....(they're built with Tri SLi capabilities for a reason ;) )

mkultra...

No Evga bashing here at all ....btw...good to know in the event I had to RMA my Chip it wouldn't be a headache...seeing as how you have RMA'd a number of Chips, do you happen to have Intel RMA (Canada) link / Tel #....just in case !

Cheers

Last edited by rjbarker; October 9, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old October 9, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post

Honestly guys...you all know I am an avid Evga customer, but in light of this I may certainly give the Asus Rampage III Extreme a go :)

btw my Classy LE # is 0525...

EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Martin...I take offense to you using the word "stupid"....that comment simply was uncalled for and certainly not necessary (keep it to yourself next time my friend).....read through that Thread I posted "carefully"...us Classy 759 owners are simply looking at options in case the Mobo takes out a few thousand $$ worth of HW.....
btw...Classy 759 NB at 50C ??...please...they're infamous for generating a hell of a lot more heat than that...mine sits between 65 - 70C....(thats with the addition of a Delta 40mm Fan attached to my HS)

As for the Rampage III having "issues"....you know as well as I do that if you Google "any" Mobo you'll find all kinds of "issues" with any of them...I'm still not convinced to go with Giga / Asus or another Classy (3), that will be my decision...

I too will likely contact Evga Support and see what / if I have any options other than purchasing a new Board.....(they're built with Tri SLi capabilities for a reason ;) )
Sorry Rj, wans't mean to hurt you. At all my comment was not quite weel written. I explain, The stupid attitude was not point to you but to anyone who would say that hey I have a possible issue I change brand! You understand the fact that if you do time every time you have a issue you will fast do the whole turn of the market I also have a little something against asus after working with them for long so to hear you putting the idea of changing to them chock me a bit Also, about the temp I have no idea for the Classified since I never work with it but comparing the Asus to few GA and MSI damn the heat delta is pretty huge.

Once again sorry if it was offensive hope you'll pardon me one day

Martin
/[ stop thread crapping]/

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 9, 2010, 09:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

i was saying baching because idk what you can ask more from evga.....i can't see any company throwing out an entire series of mobo because of a problem affecting what 1% of users?

no tel number sorry, since i speak french i usually deal in email....it's easier for me
i didn't say "chip" tho i said rma
i only sent 1 cpu back but it was still on the 30day return so store took care of that, cpu are usually the strongest part in a PC....i don't count how many rams kit i've rma to corsair/ocz, or vga to msi/evga and never had problem with heavily overclocked parts.
Old October 9, 2010, 09:42 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Did anyone bother looking into the heat tolerances on the plastic material used in the connectors?

I'm not sure that overdraw would cause this; since usually it fries the wires throughout or at least through it's housing - somewhere. The metal connectors will never just fry like this.

I'm thinking cheap plastic is to blame in some cases.
It's not the plastic. The pins in the connector on the motherboard are not making proper contact with the sleeves in the PSU connector. This increases the resistance of the connection which raises the temperature. At higher loads, the temperature becomes too high and the damage is caused.
Old October 9, 2010, 09:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Considering how old the ATX standard is, I don't think anybody ever conceived folks wanting to run 4X cards on the PCIe slots and that's where the issue ultimately lays (lies? ;) ).

I don't have the 790FX board any more so I had to have a look at images from reviews, but I was surprised to see that it didn't have an extra Molex for the motherboard. I suspect that's the only "fix" for the problem, and hopefully motherboard manufacturers who want to produce 4X PCIe boards will take heed and design that into future motherboards.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 9, 2010, 10:38 AM
Banned
F@H

so basically, if you have the board in question, call up evga and tell them youre going to populate all pci-e slots thus warrant a free upgrade before it surely blows? :)

edit : when they put 4 pci-e slots or 2 or 3 on the one board, they have to look at the biggest baddest gpu in existence and what power it draws, then multiply that by the said number of slots and see, at least theoretically, if it is going to be ok.

i still dont get it how 7 years old boards have a molex for two pci-e lanes whereas 4 slotted boards these days don't....
Old October 9, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Martin.......no worries...chaulk it up as 'shvtty Internet Comms" :)

Dan.....that is what I think I'd like to see and what I'll be contacting Evga about....is an RMA to have them solder the appropriate Molex Connector onto the Board, someone over at Evga Forums has a step by step on how to do this, but I'm not going to void the Lifetime Warranty nor should I be expected to. Evga knows perfectly well thier is a potential serious problem when loading up all 3 PCIE Slots and they know the "fix" is to install the additional Molex connector, so take our Boards and make em right.

I'll likely replace the Board anyhow, but for re-sale would be better with the Molex socket onboard.

Old October 9, 2010, 12:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm not going to worry about it, If it happens I'll deal with it.

Old October 11, 2010, 12:45 PM
Rookie

OH wow, time to reconsider using GTX480 in sli.
Old December 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just an update to this issue; EVGA has gone above and beyond again; Update PLEASE (pci-e adapter/molex power fix)

Now, obviously this is just a 'band-aid' solution to an onboard molex, but at least its a solution! I dont see ASUS or GB doing this sort of thing with their no-molex boards :D However, this EVGA solution will work in their boards too :P
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about