Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

I couldn't agree more RJ. With any luck, everything else is ok. Luckily this flaw hasn't caused any major fires,..at least not that I know of.These things will lift their ugly little heads every now and then. Only hope there are no catastrophic incidents when this happens.
Old October 8, 2010, 03:27 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
It is good that Evga is providing Customers with the Classy3 as an RMA.....BUT, I'm not impressed that thier is obviously a known flaw with the 759 / 760 Boards and evga's attitude is to simply sit on it until something goes pphhtt! Unfortunately their is the risk of taking out a PSU and CPU when / if it goes ppphhtt...

Sorry guys.....just a long read through this thread over at Evga.....hhhmmmm...."We'll replace your 759 / 760 Classy with a new Classy 3 (complete with additional PCIE Molex connectors), but if you loose any other HW in the process, you're on your own to replace that HW" ...really thats unacceptable.....as I suggested, if its a known flaw....recall and or provide a step-up to a new Board in which the problem has been fixed.

Honestly guys...you all know I am an avid Evga customer, but in light of this I may certainly give the Asus Rampage III Extreme a go :)

btw my Classy LE # is 0525...

EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/
But RJ, I think you could RMA anything else damaged. I rma'd my SilverStone 1500W PS also (with SilverStone), they replaced it and the burnt cable.

That being said...I strongly understand you worry...very very much understand it...I was there myself.

EVGA had originally rma'd me another 760 board. Then 5 days after I received it they called to upgrade it to the 762. Till they upgraded it I was considering selling off my 480's.

We have to look at it from EVGA's side a little....like they must be thinking - holy crap how many these 759-760 boards we got out there , damn we have to take care of our customers....how do we do it and not lose millions.

EVGA told me they and NVIDIA are working on a bios (fix) for the GTX 480 video cards to hopefully fix the problem. Just going to have to wait and see ....

This will probably just be a blip on the radar....but I remember thinking that it took a few months for my melting connectors to present itself. I thought....I wonder how many more of these melted connectors issue will present themselves over time. As mine and others could just be the tip of the iceberg.

Least now people are aware this melted connectors can happen...in April I had no idea it could happen and happily bought 3 GTX 480's.....had I know I would have certainly thought twice about buying 3 - 480's.

Seems the guys in the extreme benching arena knew things could happen like this...but has taken this long to filter down.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old October 8, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did anyone bother looking into the heat tolerances on the plastic material used in the connectors?

I'm not sure that overdraw would cause this; since usually it fries the wires throughout or at least through it's housing - somewhere. The metal connectors will never just fry like this.

I'm thinking cheap plastic is to blame in some cases.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 8, 2010, 04:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Did anyone bother looking into the heat tolerances on the plastic material used in the connectors?

I'm not sure that overdraw would cause this; since usually it fries the wires throughout or at least through it's housing - somewhere. The metal connectors will never just fry like this.

I'm thinking cheap plastic is to blame in some cases.
Well evga would not be replacing motherboards with upgrades if it was cheap plastic, I wouldn't think. Near as I can figure about the wire discoloration is the heat is traveling up the wire, maybe? People are not running triple sli GTX 480's on cheap power supplies.

Evga and nvidia wouldn't be talking about a firmware fix either?

I am no lawyer...but I can only think someone is worried about potential liability?

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old October 8, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for sharing this incident! I thought I had it bad when my ASUS M3A78-T lost its ability to change CPU multi...

I didn't think about that 24-pin connector until now... looking up the pinout it really only has two wires for +12V... yikes. Assuming you have two GPUs drawing their max 75W, that's 150 / 12 = 12.5A going through thouse wires / connectors?

I think the PC industry / ATX standard is way behind in the electrical connectors department. Take the hobby R/C connector as an example:
Deans - Plugs
525, Astro Zero Loss Connector set, 1 male, 1 female [26] - $15.00 : AstroFlight, Welcome to the AstroFlight online Store
In my remote controlled robots, I would never dare to use something like a Molex (or the R/C equivalent, the Tamiya) to hook power to something that draws any substantial amount of current. Those little metal pegs inside the connector get loose and heat up in no time if you connect and disconnect them a few times.

With the hungry GPUs these days, it would make sense to use these lower resistance connectors + bigger wire. Not only will it prevent the connections and wires from melting, but it would also reduce one possible source of +12V line instability.
Old October 8, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

@ Lionred...yeah I'll simply (at this point) keep an eye on it....I really don't care as much about taking out a PSU or even RAM as Corsair is excellent for RMA service, but can you imagine the potential nightmare if my 980X was cooked.....trying to RMA that...hhhmmmm..."Was your Chip OC'd?" ....uh.......no..... ;) Could be an issue with that piece of HW no?

My next upgrade in the queue is a new Mobo.....so we'll see whether I go Classy3 or Rampage

Old October 8, 2010, 05:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Wish I would have seen this thread when it first came out..... :)

In fairness to EVGA, I'm pretty sure this is an issue with all 4 PCIe slot boards, and it's not just the latest high end cards that can cause it.

I ran into something similar on my 790FX board folding 4X 9800GT series cards. The current on my setup was obviously not as high as 4X 460/480, and the plastic on the 24 pin wasn't melted away, but it was discoloured to the point where it was obvious that too much current was passing through it.

I don't think the single rail vrs multi rail would have any effect on this as it's not an issue with the molex connectors, it's the amount of current flowing through the 24 pin which would be the same on either model.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 9, 2010, 06:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Wish I would have seen this thread when it first came out..... :)

In fairness to EVGA, I'm pretty sure this is an issue with all 4 PCIe slot boards, and it's not just the latest high end cards that can cause it.

I ran into something similar on my 790FX board folding 4X 9800GT series cards. The current on my setup was obviously not as high as 4X 460/480, and the plastic on the 24 pin wasn't melted away, but it was discoloured to the point where it was obvious that too much current was passing through it.

I don't think the single rail vrs multi rail would have any effect on this as it's not an issue with the molex connectors, it's the amount of current flowing through the 24 pin which would be the same on either model.
You're correct on all points SSW. Its not just EVGA, any boards without additional molex are subject to the possibility if you throw enough power at their PCIe slots. I checked my classified last night. I wasnt even folding with the GPU's (just SMP) and the 24 pin was 'warm' to the touch. I'm actually hesitant to start dual GPU folding again now, for fear of blowing a motherboard and other components...

I may contact EVGA and see if they'll rep me to a Classy 3, simply for peace of mind, and the fact is, if I go to Tri-460's, who knows what could happen?

This is a big time fail on montherboard manufacturers AND Power supply companies behalf. They need to fix the standards like Frontier said.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 9, 2010, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's bit of a stupid attitue RJ. If you take all the issue from previous Asus board that have never been fixed and the RMA was the same model ( P5N, M2N and much more ) And you compare it with this issue at EVGA that have been replace with a board WITHOUT the issue. EVGA just have done 1000 time better. Also, the Rampage have terrible problem.
1: the cooling on the board is trully not enough, south an north bridge stand around 70 where a GA or EVGA will stand 40-50.
2: This board is ******* instable as hell! We have sell few at job and we started to replace them with Gigabytes UD5 because all the computer with this board came back for the same issue, instability. At first we swapped with the same mobo but since the issue was still there ( on 5 computer ) we change for another model.
Anandtech also have an article about this board being unstable and a crap but I can't find it anymore.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 9, 2010, 09:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
trying to RMA that...hhhmmmm..."Was your Chip OC'd?" ....uh.......no..... ;) Could be an issue with that piece of HW no?
i've made many rma and never been asked if any oc was involve....and it's always the case

i love the evga bashing...like asus never had issues