Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2010, 11:50 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
And who is that?

You do realize this is happening to more then just EVGA boards, right?

If anyone is to blame, I think it is really the ATX standards company, as I stated before. Maybe you glared over my previous post, but as I said in that post, we could blame anyone. EVGA would just be masking the PSU ATX standard problem by adding on a Molex connector.

It sucks, yes, but unfortunately no one company is at fault here.
Hehe you are very correct...but I have to blame someone in my head ;)

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old August 26, 2010, 12:19 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Well, you can't give a company too hard of a time for sticking to published standards.

But if the Ati 4000 series and now, nVidia 400 series high-end parts are putting significant stress on something as simple as a power connector, then companies like Evga need to address it.

If companies like Gigabyte and DFI saw this need on their high-end boards, you would think that Evga would have provided better power connectivity (the XS thread posted earlier shows that Evga engineers saw this as a potential flaw and addressed it). You would figure a Classy board with all those PCI-E x16 slots would be configured to handle hard-core 12v loads.

I know that where there's smoke, there's fire, and I'll be looking for additional 12v capabilities on my next high-end board.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 26, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

yeah, Peter's thread is the best place for info. keep the wires short, a thick gauge, and you should be set.

Note for those running heavy oc'ed Quadfire 4890 - XtremeSystems Forums

it isn't really a hard mod, just need a hot iron and a big chisel tip to get those joints to flow. lots of flux helps too.

as mentioned i used hot glue after to 'secure' the joints, but if done right it isn't entirely necessary...just makes sense though.

the problem is with the ATX standard...not the motherboard. as was said, can't argue with a company sticking to standards; especially when it comes to PSU standards. it is just something that was not anticipated when the Classy came out, and certainly not something the ATX standard could have foreseen when it was drafted a million computer years ago. the R3E and other MB's have had the luxury of seeing the results of no additional 12v supply to this circuit. yes other boards prior to X58 had molex connectors on the boards, but i have a hunch that was to compensate for something else more than anything.

for anyone in London, or close enough to come to London, i will gladly do the mod for you at no cost.
Old August 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Couldn't you RMA the board and then perform the mod on the brand new board?

-Plato
Old August 26, 2010, 06:27 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Couldn't you RMA the board and then perform the mod on the brand new board?
I am rma'n the MB and PS.

I did the mod and the wire measured an average 50-55C...with one spike around 58C, while running AvP Bench on tri-sli.

But then one HD would not detect...then another..then the DVD...and couple times wouldn't boot completely into windows. Even with the power to the modded molex disconnected...still problems. Then I dropped down to one gtx 480...all HD's detected, dvd detected...booted into windows.

Finally reckon one or both are dying.

Old October 7, 2010, 10:06 AM
MVP

EVGA has upgraded my Classified 760 to the 4 way Classified 762 (that has the extra 4 pin molex connector onboard).

Three cheers for EVGA

Old October 7, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

I like EVGA. I've not owned anything from them yet, but with XFX dropping Nvidia, this will most likely be my new gpu supplier. I've heard nothing but good results coming from rmas regarding them. Congrats to you and kudos to EVGA for bumping up to the better capable board!!!
Old October 7, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Customer Support is spelled E V G A .....thiers a reason many of us stick to them......!

Old October 8, 2010, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Then you are good to go:)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Last edited by martin_metal_88; October 8, 2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old October 8, 2010, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It is good that Evga is providing Customers with the Classy3 as an RMA.....BUT, I'm not impressed that thier is obviously a known flaw with the 759 / 760 Boards and evga's attitude is to simply sit on it until something goes pphhtt! Unfortunately their is the risk of taking out a PSU and CPU when / if it goes ppphhtt...

Sorry guys.....just a long read through this thread over at Evga.....hhhmmmm...."We'll replace your 759 / 760 Classy with a new Classy 3 (complete with additional PCIE Molex connectors), but if you loose any other HW in the process, you're on your own to replace that HW" ...really thats unacceptable.....as I suggested, if its a known flaw....recall and or provide a step-up to a new Board in which the problem has been fixed.

Honestly guys...you all know I am an avid Evga customer, but in light of this I may certainly give the Asus Rampage III Extreme a go :)

btw my Classy LE # is 0525...

EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/