Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2010, 09:36 AM
MVP

This is extremely disappointing that the $400 MB I paid for (I know it has come down in price). Basically can't handle triple sli'd 480's (least the particular one I happen to own).

I am at a crossroads....do that mod, to take off some of the power weight the GPU's are demanding through those poor little yellow wires. Which possibly voids my warranty.

or

RMA the board...hope the replacement is somehow able to manage. Which maybe it can handle it, but always have the is the connector melting. In the back of my mind.

or

Hope that by some miracle EVGA upgrades me to the MB that has the built in molex adapter (free or...let guess 200 bucks I do not have). Unfortunately I can see how the argument would go...as I do not have the technical back ground to argue the technical jargon . Other then...the MB is melting my PS connector....your freaking E760 can't handle it

But EVGA is a reputable company...so you never know.

Lol I have done mods before....

Alright 3oh6, perhaps some more details..PIN numbers to what pin numbers with some more pics showing these wires be soldered to each pin. And what did you use to protect those solder points after you were done? Get a little nervous with electricity...its not something I like to deal with. One wrong wire...and poof

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old August 26, 2010, 09:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Check the thread at XS. The first picture from Shamino shows the pins to solder to. And my guess is that 3oh6 used a glue gun to cover the soldered connections.
Old August 26, 2010, 09:47 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Are you using Evga 480s? Lion, if you decide to RMA I wonder if having Evga GPUs would help you at all? They might hesitate to blame the cards, or may want to look after a rig with so much Evga money invested.

I know when I had issues with some Corsair ram, and they mentioned the PSU as a possible issue; when I mentioned I had a 620HX they took my bad ram back immediately. Maybe Evga would see it similar?
Fold for team #54196
Old August 26, 2010, 10:03 AM
MVP

No, they are not EVGA cards. On phone with evga now...first tier says it is the first they have heard of it.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

Old August 26, 2010, 10:31 AM
Banned
F@H

get up the support scale, im sure they got a few others like that.

but like it was mentioned before, any decent sli mobo should have an extra molex when needed, and this one doesnt?
Old August 26, 2010, 10:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with Dan, an issue like this you should automatically ask for either a supervisor or level 2 support as level 1 technically support typically only deal with and are taught to deal with the basic 'normal' issues and yours is far from normal
Old August 26, 2010, 10:35 AM
MVP

Well..I just got off the phone with second tier level support.

This is funny....

EVGA - yeah...I have seen the mod. But we have lots of people running triple and quad 480's who are not having this problem of melting connectors.

Me- But there are others out there with Classifieds that have/are having this issue.

EVGA - but we have never seen melted connectors

Me - thinking to myself huh?

EVGA - we can replace the board. But it is probably just going to do the same thing again - But we don't think it is a problem with the MB....

me - thinking to myself wtf? Can't run the triple gtx 480's cause the MB pulls so much power on my yellow wires...it is my gtx 480s problem....or MB problem for not having the extra molex connector I am going to have to mod in.

Guess it is time to heat up the soldering iron and hope I get it right

Over all I am not mad about it....just disappointed to run into this problem.

I never saw this problem coming when planning to run triple 480's. Thought I had all my bases covered. Good well ventilated case, power supply to more then meet the needs of any power the 480's or future cards may need, a MB that is top notch ( I still think the EVGA is good MB company).

24 pin connector melting...didn't plan for that , lol first time it has ever happened.

If I mess the mod up..and make it look like no mod happened..they will still give me an RMA.

Old August 26, 2010, 10:49 AM
Banned
F@H

yup, first tier is there to say 'hi, how are you?'

get it replaced, sell it, get something that wont cause issues. if you mod it and dies because of something else(not your mod) no more warranty

cant they send you a better model since you DID shell a few bills for it? get on that phone asap and be loud but polite!

a while ago they had a guy, i think greg or gregory, he was decent.
Old August 26, 2010, 11:22 AM
MVP

I am going to do the mod...and if the temp on those wires drops significantly. I will be pretty confident in who is to blame then.

Old August 26, 2010, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
I am going to do the mod...and if the temp on those wires drops significantly. I will be pretty confident in who is to blame then.
And who is that?

You do realize this is happening to more then just EVGA boards, right?

If anyone is to blame, I think it is really the ATX standards company, as I stated before. Maybe you glared over my previous post, but as I said in that post, we could blame anyone. EVGA would just be masking the PSU ATX standard problem by adding on a Molex connector.

It sucks, yes, but unfortunately no one company is at fault here.

Last edited by Sagath; August 26, 2010 at 11:33 AM.