Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2010, 08:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

In my experiance in control wiring ,the only time we see that kind of dammage is if there is a short some where or bad connection at the pins . over current draw will usually show up as melted wire insulation not melted pins.
Old August 25, 2010, 08:16 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
In my experiance in control wiring ,the only time we see that kind of dammage is if there is a short some where or bad connection at the pins . over current draw will usually show up as melted wire insulation not melted pins.
I can assure you these connectors were firmly connected into the socket.

What does a wire look like when it is plainly drawing too much power?

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old August 25, 2010, 08:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
I can assure you these connectors were firmly connected into the socket.

What does a wire look like when it is plainly drawing too much power?
The insulation will usually be slightly discoloured and saggy or burned and crispy depending how long the over current was able to continue before any safety fuses or breakers tripped. two plastic connectors put together does not mean a good connection on the pins unfortunatelly. the damage sure looks like a short to me (seen it way too many times)
Old August 25, 2010, 08:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Black. As in it catches fire.

I agree that those melted connectors look like a bad/shorting connection, rather than an overcurrent situation. It could be the result of a bad connector, not the way it was inserted.
Old August 25, 2010, 08:32 PM
MVP

Well I guess they should be easy to crimp down a bit to get a better connection.

Old August 25, 2010, 08:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
Well I guess they should be easy to crimp down a bit to get a better connection.
Yup. Easy access now.

Notice how they are spread apart a bit at the end? That's probably what the problem was.
Old August 25, 2010, 08:42 PM
Banned
F@H

ouch indeed. rma on both or just the mobo?

it mustve taken a bit of heat to do that

and no way you need to cool down cables, i mean what the fold?
Old August 25, 2010, 08:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

How does the mobo socket look? Have you tried another PSU to make sure it boots?
Old August 25, 2010, 08:50 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
The insulation will usually be slightly discoloured and saggy or burned and crispy depending how long the over current was able to continue before any safety fuses or breakers tripped. two plastic connectors put together does not mean a good connection on the pins unfortunatelly. the damage sure looks like a short to me (seen it way too many times)
The top yellow wire...doesn't it look a little discolored just before it goes into the plastic covering?

I am still going to look into RMA'n the MB...seems I am not alone. If I am stuck with the MB....then it is an area I will have to monitor. Least I am aware of it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
How does the mobo socket look? Have you tried another PSU to make sure it boots?
System is working fine now....I clear the melted plastic out of MB connection..system booted/works fine. But the GPU's haven't been stressed since the melted connector. The female connector on the MB has not melting...just some stuff from the PS connector (which I cleared out).

Old August 25, 2010, 08:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, the wire is discolored near the sparking connection. If it was overcurrented, the whole wire would look like that, or worse.