Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   ASUS VS EVGA--GTX 470-- Does it run cooler? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/35365-asus-vs-evga-gtx-470-does-run-cooler.html)

MittWaffle August 19, 2010 09:54 AM

ASUS VS EVGA--GTX 470-- Does it run cooler?

I recently got a ASUS 470, running 800/1600/1900 at .987v.
But will stabilize around 89c-93c under MSI Kombuster without a fan profile.

I've heard that the EVGA 470 cards can get around 77c--is this the card itself being of better design?
If it is I'm going to return my unit for this..

EVGA GeForce GTX 470 1280MB (012-P3-1470-AR) nVidia GeForce GTX 470 Chipset (607Mhz) 1280MB (3348Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Display Dual-Link DVI-I/Mini HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card | Canada Computers

Would this be the better route to go? Its a 20 dollar difference. But i'd like to make sure about the temperature differences, I hope this isnt the case since this ASUS model OC's so well! But would rather take less heat over an overclock.

I'd like to note
-I have an HAF 932 full system fans on a controller; cooling on my part isnt the issue.

ilya August 19, 2010 10:39 AM

That's an insanely good o/c i'd look into replacing thermal compound/stock cooler/fan profiles before changing cards.

MittWaffle August 19, 2010 11:20 AM

I'm looking at some ASUS Temps people posted in other forums, apparently if you have the low Vcore 470 from them you can manage 825-850 on stock cooler!

Regardless, does the EVGA model run drastically cooler?

MittWaffle August 20, 2010 08:44 PM

Just an update, I reset my GPU and tried getting the best low voltage and clock. So far i've ended up with this (had to notch voltage up one level to prevent errors.

I need to ask one last time, are these normal temperature? I have a fan profile setup and once over 86c will stay at 100%. This test was run on OCCT GPU Stress test.

I hope i'm going crazy, but to me this HOT HOT HOT!

Heres and update... [IMG=http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6058/occtgputemp.th.jpg][/IMG]

ForTheGG August 20, 2010 10:16 PM

The GTX 470's with the high flow bracket and the backplate from EVGA run cooler.

ZZLEE August 21, 2010 02:03 PM

Backplate

EVGA | Products

The back plate is fore sale on EVGA site dont Know if your card can mount it but. :biggrin:

Zero82z August 21, 2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZLEE (Post 418623)
EVGA | Products

The back plate is fore sale on EVGA site dont Know if your card can mount it but. :biggrin:

Any reference design card should be able to use the bracket and backplate. Of course, you can make your own "high-flow" backplate with 5 minutes and a rotary tool ;).

ilya August 21, 2010 02:40 PM

Seriously though, why would you give up on one of the potentially best GTX470's out there. (for a non power consumption related issue)

Your temps are normal, they run that hot and they easily push 100c in stuff like Furmark/OCCT.

What I did to reduce temps was I took off the shroud and strapped a Sanyo Denki fan to the heatsink. It's a little loud but not as loud as the stock delta on 100%, not to mention temps dropped nearly 10c. Any good quality fan should be able to make a pretty big difference. Problem with that setup is it kicks a ton of hot air around in your case, so I wouldn't recommended it if you don't have good airflow/high positive pressure.

You could also use stuff like the high flow bracket or backplate from EVGA, they'll all reduce your temps by a bit.

MittWaffle August 25, 2010 06:28 PM

Alright guys, wanted to update everyone on some cool findings.

So I returned my ASUS GTX 470 for a EVGA 470, both are vanilla models.

EVGA temperature are DRASTICALLY lower. While my Asus would hit 93-95c on OCCT/furmark I currently max out around 75-80 without a fan profile on EVGA! Also I think I know why this might be, the ASUS card was manufactured is March 2010, while the EVGA seems to be newer-Revisions have been made.

Cool stuff!

Jokester August 29, 2010 02:36 AM

hmm but what clocks did you achieve with the new card in comparison ?