Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I'd say it depends on what you're using the cards for. The 460 is almost twice the GPU... for almost twice the price. They're probably roughly the same cost/performance ratio, but the 460 is the faster of the two of course.

If you're looking for a cost effective, great performing GPU, and you still want to keep the volume/temps down, I'd consider the MSI 460 Cyclone. You can get the 768MB version for $220.

If you want a budget minded GPU for an HTPC style rig that is also a capable entry level gamer, then grab a 5770.

*EDIT*
If you provide info on the rest of your build and the cards intended usage, you'll likely get a more relevant answer.
Okay. But, I didn't want to be accused of hijacking the OP's thread. :)

It's in the process of being built but it's rather old hardware. I didn't think it was worth investing in an expensive video card although it's easily transferred to new hardware. Anyway, the hardware specs will ultimately be:

OS: XP Pro (temp. but current), Windows 7 (future?), Linux (current)
case: Antec 300
mobo: Asus P5Q P45
PSU: Corsair HX520 (modular)
HDDs: 1 500GB storing OS (1TB - storage - currently debating brand/price)

The higher powered, higher temp. video cards are out and I'm not budgeting that kind of cash anyway. The most I'd go to is probably $220. I'm currently looking at a few used cards at about $100 or less. I'm taking a look at the following cards:

Nvidia
GTS 250
9800 GT
240 GT

I like the stats of the GTX 460 card, though. Short card for the performance it provides. Not bad on power/temps although a bit close to the GTS 250 in that dept?

ATI
HD 5670
HD 5770

I'm just undecided on what card is the best for the money. A cheap card or a more future-proof card. Since, I'm still buying a cpu for an older system, I do have to budget for other purchases, unfortunately. After I get a little more feedback, I'll leave the thread alone for the OP and any replies based on the initial post. :) I think I provided sufficient info? The card will be used for video (movies etc.) and light gaming. I might buy a decent game, though. I won't become a collector, however. :) It will mostly be HTPC although I have only one desktop that can do either right now so the video card will be multi-purpose as mentioned.

EDIT: P.S., the system in the .sig is already 'recyled' and is given to a family member. I'm swapping the CPU into the P5Q, however, as I'm buying a Celeron E3300 for the P35 mobo. That computer will just be used for surfing and movies.

Last edited by technix; August 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old August 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Okay. But, I didn't want to be accused of hijacking the OP's thread. :)
Ha! With my amazing powers of observation at work, I somehow thought you were the OP. (I think mostly because of the nature of your post.) Either way, my above post stands for the OP.

Technix: For your uses, I would suggest saving your money and grab a 5770. I know several people running everything from Dirt2 to SC2 to AVP2 on this card in 1080p with little to no issue. It will also be an excellent HTPC card for 1080p video content. There's really no need to spend an extra $100 for these uses unless you REALLY want the extra jump for future use.

But that's just my 2 cents...

*EDIT* Also consider if you like to play with all the eye-candy options maxed out. In 1080p res, this is where the cards will likely separate. The 460 will pull off AA and tessellation (where this counts) quite a bit better than the 5770. But most people putting a GPU in a multi-purpose, budget HTPC aren't as concerned with that.
Old August 22, 2010, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think your decision between the 5770 and 460 should be an easy one (the bang for buck should work out to being very close to the same for the 2 cards). If you have the money for the 460 and need the performance it offers, then go for it. If you can't afford the 460, or the 5770 is a strong enough card the play the games you like at your monitor's resolution, then save a few bucks and enjoy it. Either way you are getting a good card for your dollar (as long as you buy a 5770 that is a good deal...some of them have a high premium that it is not worth IMO).
Old August 22, 2010, 06:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I think your decision between the 5770 and 460 should be an easy one (the bang for buck should work out to being very close to the same for the 2 cards). If you have the money for the 460 and need the performance it offers, then go for it. If you can't afford the 460, or the 5770 is a strong enough card the play the games you like at your monitor's resolution, then save a few bucks and enjoy it. Either way you are getting a good card for your dollar (as long as you buy a 5770 that is a good deal...some of them have a high premium that it is not worth IMO).
i have an MSI Hawk 5770 ... i overclocked the core to 1020MHz and the memory to 1380MHz ... i have never gotten such a good OC from any other card

EDIT:
card cost me: 179.00 USD with shipping..
Old August 23, 2010, 05:42 AM
Top Prospect

Just get the 5770. It's a quiet, cool card with relatively good performance. At $140 it's a good deal, and it's doubtful you'll regret your purchase. Furthermore, it requires only one PCI-E connector.

Quote:
card cost me: 179.00 USD with shipping..
Same as my 5830. I'm glad I waited. I was tempted to get a 460 768mb, particularly for its smaller size, less noise and slightly less power demand. But for a $180, the 5830 was too damn tempting. This other guy got his for $165 (after MIR).....Lucky bastard.

Quote:
Also consider if you like to play with all the eye-candy options maxed out. In 1080p res, this is where the cards will likely separate. The 460 will pull off AA and tessellation (where this counts) quite a bit better than the 5770.
Speaking of which, I thought it was kinda odd to see the 5830 and 5770 beat/come close to the 460 768mb in Metro 2033, a game that revolves around Nivida architecture.