Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2010, 12:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayan288 View Post
What about steam games. Doesn't steam only allow you to install all your games into one folder which is under steam in program files. Half of my steam games, would take up my whole SSD...
Well, you can back up the games you aren't playing onto an HD with more space. Just right click the game you wish to backup, and Steam lets you specify a directory. I have games I don't play at the moment in a folder on my RAID, and what I am playing stays on my SSD.

Alternatively, you can follow these directions: | Heartlessgamer.com | TIP: How to move Steam games to another drive in Windows 7/Vista/XP

I'm sure there's an even simpler way yet that someone will chime in with.
Old August 17, 2010, 12:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokkRokken View Post
Well, you can back up the games you aren't playing onto an HD with more space. Just right click the game you wish to backup, and Steam lets you specify a directory. I have games I don't play at the moment in a folder on my RAID, and what I am playing stays on my SSD.

Alternatively, you can follow these directions: | Heartlessgamer.com | TIP: How to move Steam games to another drive in Windows 7/Vista/XP

And what happens what I do want to play one of those games? Do I have to wait an hour or so for it to install?

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
G.Skill pc2 8500 1066mhz RAM
Corsair TX750 Watt Power Supply
Western Digital 500gb and Seagate 500gb in RAID 0
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
OCZ Vendetta 2 LGA 775 CPU cooler with bolt thru kit
XFX HD5970
Steelseries 7G Mechanical Keyboard
Samsung 305T 30 Inch 2560x1600 LCD monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers, Sennheiser HD215's, G35's
Steelseries Xai Laser Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old August 17, 2010, 01:05 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
What about steam games. Doesn't steam only allow you to install all your games into one folder which is under steam in program files. Half of my steam games, would take up my whole SSD...
You can install Steam on any other drive you want. I have a 1TB drive dedicated to games, and my entire Steam directory is on there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DokkRokken View Post
You can just move the game directories right out of the Steamapps folder and onto a different drive, and then move it back when you want to play the game. That makes things a lot easier.
Old August 17, 2010, 01:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I unpacked Fallout 3 GOTY that was backed up yesterday and it took several minutes. That game was about 9 GB or so.

Edit: Oops, beaten. And with a better method!
Old August 17, 2010, 01:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I say sell your 460, buy a 480.
Keep your Q9550 for another year or so, benchmarks show very little difference between a well oc'd/cooled Q9550 and an i7 920 in gaming and every day tasks.
Yes if you get into compression and photoshopping etc.. all that stuff the i7 will be more powerful and efficient with it's cycles, but in gaming you get very little of that.
In a year or two you'll start seeing games taking advantage of that technology and then by then the 6+ cores will be out at the same prices(ridiculous) as the 920's are.

An SSD or selling your 460 and going to a single 480 will show the best bang for your buck atm.
As long as you keep your case clean and use evga precision(or something like it) to force the fan to 79-81%(sweet spot in sound for my case, can barely hear it) cooling will be very little of an issue. With the latest drivers I have never seen my card go past 91C and only then with a benchmark. Gaming I rarely hit 80C unless I'm showing off Metro maxed lol
Old August 17, 2010, 01:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You can install Steam on any other drive you want. I have a 1TB drive dedicated to games, and my entire Steam directory is on there.

You can just move the game directories right out of the Steamapps folder and onto a different drive, and then move it back when you want to play the game. That makes things a lot easier.
But the thing is, I want some games to be on my SSD for better performance: GTA4 (15gb BAM), Bad Company, COD4, etc.

So basically I want to be able to install a portion on my steam games on my ssd and a portion on my storage drive.

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
XFX HD5970
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old August 17, 2010, 01:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
I say sell your 460, buy a 480.
Keep your Q9550 for another year or so, benchmarks show very little difference between a well oc'd/cooled Q9550 and an i7 920 in gaming and every day tasks.
Yes if you get into compression and photoshopping etc.. all that stuff the i7 will be more powerful and efficient with it's cycles, but in gaming you get very little of that.
In a year or two you'll start seeing games taking advantage of that technology and then by then the 6+ cores will be out at the same prices(ridiculous) as the 920's are.

An SSD or selling your 460 and going to a single 480 will show the best bang for your buck atm.
As long as you keep your case clean and use evga precision(or something like it) to force the fan to 79-81%(sweet spot in sound for my case, can barely hear it) cooling will be very little of an issue. With the latest drivers I have never seen my card go past 91C and only then with a benchmark. Gaming I rarely hit 80C unless I'm showing off Metro maxed lol
Alright that's good news. I probably won't sell it, but just use step up because it's a better alternative for me. It's nice to know that the 480 isn't as devilish hot as people say it is. One more question: Have you ever tried overclocking it at all? And what case do you have that you say that you can't hear the fan at 81%? Because I have an Antec 1200, and when my 460's fan is at 60% and above, I can hear it pretty clearly.

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
XFX HD5970
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old August 17, 2010, 01:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Alright that's good news. I probably won't sell it, but just use step up because it's a better alternative for me. It's nice to know that the 480 isn't as devilish hot as people say it is. One more question: Have you ever tried overclocking it at all? And what case do you have that you say that you can't hear the fan at 81%? Because I have an Antec 1200, and when my 460's fan is at 60% and above, I can hear it pretty clearly.
Hmm well I have my own tolerance as well. Living in Kelowna I have an AC unit running all the time to keep the temps around 25-26C at home and a big house fan to push that air around.
I have an older thermal take armor(before the big side fan was added) with 7 internal fans as well. I can hear when EVGA precision boots up and ramps up the fan speed, but after that it just kind of melds into the white noise after a while.

If you keep the computer in your room, your room WILL get hot, the card does push a lot of warm air into the room. On the plus side though the card idles in windows at 43C and I've seen it hold that temp in my case with the fan at 20%. So it is pretty efficient, at cooling itself down. So if the computer is in your room you can definitely set up profiles to change the fan speed according to temperature and keep the noise levels down.

In my case personally fan noise doesn't bother me though, so my opinion is very subjective.

I am jealous of your CPU, if I could find one for cheap and a new 775 mobo I would jump on it, they are great chips.
Old August 17, 2010, 02:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
Hmm well I have my own tolerance as well. Living in Kelowna I have an AC unit running all the time to keep the temps around 25-26C at home and a big house fan to push that air around.
I have an older thermal take armor(before the big side fan was added) with 7 internal fans as well. I can hear when EVGA precision boots up and ramps up the fan speed, but after that it just kind of melds into the white noise after a while.

If you keep the computer in your room, your room WILL get hot, the card does push a lot of warm air into the room. On the plus side though the card idles in windows at 43C and I've seen it hold that temp in my case with the fan at 20%. So it is pretty efficient, at cooling itself down. So if the computer is in your room you can definitely set up profiles to change the fan speed according to temperature and keep the noise levels down.

In my case personally fan noise doesn't bother me though, so my opinion is very subjective.

I am jealous of your CPU, if I could find one for cheap and a new 775 mobo I would jump on it, they are great chips.
Thank you so much for your detailed response. Right now I am almost completely fixed on stepping up to a gtx 480 in mid September. Hopefully re installing the thermal paste would bring the temps down a bit.

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
XFX HD5970
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old August 17, 2010, 02:03 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
But the thing is, I want some games to be on my SSD for better performance: GTA4 (15gb BAM), Bad Company, COD4, etc.

So basically I want to be able to install a portion on my steam games on my ssd and a portion on my storage drive.
I personally have noticed absolutely no difference in load times between running games off my SSD and my normal HD. There may be a few seconds here and there, but it's nothing significant. The main benefit of SSDs is in random access time, and even then, aside from improved boot times, I haven't seen any real benefits from that.