Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2010, 02:39 PM
Rookie

Exactly my point.... Heat is the energy being transfered and dissipated... in this case, you measure it with the temperature. Higher temperature does not equate to lower heat.
Old August 13, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Heat is a by product of energy. Sun is a energy ball and because of this we live on a warm planet.
If the sun stopped producing energy or created less energy it would be a lot cooler on the planet.

Just the same works with anything.. less energy equals less heat. If a GPU can reduce the energy it uses you'll get less heat being produced and thus you'll have a cooler running gpu and lower temps all around.

So the statement made in the review stands true.

This is basic science from what Grade 8? 9?
Old August 13, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphikratous View Post
How does heat differ from temperature in this case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_man View Post
Exactly my point.... Heat is the energy being transfered and dissipated... in this case, you measure it with the temperature. Higher temperature does not equate to lower heat.
Power is "Work being done" or energy being converted from one form to another. Usually with reference to an electronic object, but not always (horsepower, etc)

Temperature is "a measure of the warmth or coldness of an object or substance with reference to some standard value" usually the standard value in Celsius.
Heat is "a nonmechanical energy transfer with reference to a temperature difference between a system and its surroundings or between two parts of the same system. "

My point wasnt that Temp and heat arnt the same, it was the fact that power doesnt equal tempereature OR heat.

I worded that part badly, the fact remains, Power =/= Temp. The 5770 can still have a higher Temperature while consuming less power.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 13, 2010, 04:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

It may technically/scientifically be true, but its quite misleading. People are going to be looking at heat in terms of temperature, not energy. And in this way, the 5770 is produces significantly more heat than the GTX 460 because its less efficient at dispersing the heat. The whole point of this review was to see how the single slot cooler fared, and to compare the heat created by the chips rather than the heat dispersed by the heatsinks makes no sense, to me at least.
Old August 13, 2010, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Heat is a by product of energy. Sun is a energy ball and because of this we live on a warm planet.
If the sun stopped producing energy or created less energy it would be a lot cooler on the planet.

Just the same works with anything.. less energy equals less heat. If a GPU can reduce the energy it uses you'll get less heat being produced and thus you'll have a cooler running gpu and lower temps all around.

Alright.... given that train of thought, the 5770, which uses less energy, should also boast lower temperatures, no? Would you not think, then, that the 460 is more 'efficient' than the 5770, since it has lower temperatures?

The only way I can see this as right is if you consider that the Heatsink on the 460, a dual slot solution, dissipates heat faster, and thus shows lower GPU temperature, while warming the case air instead.

How do you know for sure that is the case, and not just a matter of better efficiency by the 460 and a lower heat signature?
Old August 13, 2010, 04:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
It may technically/scientifically be true, but its quite misleading. People are going to be looking at heat in terms of temperature, not energy. And in this way, the 5770 is produces significantly more heat than the GTX 460 because its less efficient at dispersing the heat. The whole point of this review was to see how the single slot cooler fared, and to compare the heat created by the chips rather than the heat dispersed by the heatsinks makes no sense, to me at least.
What I have been trying to say... thx
Old August 13, 2010, 07:05 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_man View Post
Alright.... given that train of thought, the 5770, which uses less energy, should also boast lower temperatures, no? Would you not think, then, that the 460 is more 'efficient' than the 5770, since it has lower temperatures?

The only way I can see this as right is if you consider that the Heatsink on the 460, a dual slot solution, dissipates heat faster, and thus shows lower GPU temperature, while warming the case air instead.

How do you know for sure that is the case, and not just a matter of better efficiency by the 460 and a lower heat signature?
I've underlined the relevant part in these quotes because that is the correct answer. Temperature is not a measurement of heat. It's a measurement of the rate of heat flow between two objects. The higher the temperature difference between two objects, the faster heat will flow from the hotter one to the cooler one so the system will reach equilibrium with both objects containing the same amount of energy.

Heat is directly related to power consumption. If you want to know the consumption of different video cards, head over to Xbit labs. They use a custom current-sensing setup that allows them to determine how much power the video cards they test consume by themselves.

To put it in practical terms, this is why heat is important and temperature is not. A video card running at a higher temperature but with a lower heat output compared to another one will still release less heat into the computer. If you took a GTX 460 and a 5770, gave both cards heatsinks that exhaust all their heat back into the case, stuck them into two identical PCs, and monitored CPU temperatures while running Furmark on the GPUs, you'd find that the 460 machine has the hotter-running CPU. Why? Because although the GPU might run at a lower temperature because of a better heatsink, it still produces more heat and releases it back into the case. In turn, the air inside the case becomes hotter, and its temperature increases. Since its temperature is higher, it can't absorb as much heat from the CPU heatsink, so the CPU will end up running hotter. Because the 5770 produces less heat, the CPU in that machine would not see as much of a temperature increase.

Another thing to consider is that the temperature of an object with respect to the amount of heat it is producing depends greatly on the materials it is made from as well as its geometric design. That is the reason behind AMD and Intel CPUs with the same TDPs producing very different temperature readings, and it's the reason for a lot of other things as well. It also means that you can't directly compare the heat production or power consumption of two different objects based on their temperatures alone.

Last edited by Zero82z; August 13, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old August 14, 2010, 12:09 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Those would make for a nice Tri Fire setup... If AMD ever fixes the issues with Crossfire that is...