Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2010, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Here's a guy running 2033 with everything cranked on a 480 Sli set-up @ 1920 x 1200......you can see he has FRAPS...looks like around 50 - 75 FPS.....personally I find some pretty good slow downs in certain parts of the game with everything cranked...dipping into the high 30's in some intense scenes....so far this is the only game I have that "challenges" these Cards....

YouTube - Metro 2033 @ FULL MAX SETTINGS on GTX 480 SLi ( DoF & Tessellation ON ) 4XMSAA / 16AF

Another Chart from Toms...you can see virtually NO difference Sli to Tri Sli @ 1920 x 1200...but ceck out 30" Native....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,2622-11.html

Trust me ...I dig Multi GPU arrangements....but at this point Tri Sli / Quad Sli 480's simply aren't worth it (@ 1920 x 1200)....Sli 480's is all you need ;)

Last edited by rjbarker; August 15, 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old August 15, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I think we can say that at 1920x1200 or anything lower you really only need 2 cards.

But if you have a 30", three will pay off, at least in Metro 2033.

Old August 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Sure looks like it......not just Metro but I'm sure its the same straight across the board with most games.....I have seen similar results for other games and the odd Post over at evga.com complaining of little difference in FPS going from Sli to Tri Sli...at 1920 x 1200 ......

At this point, if someone is running a 1920 x 1200 Res monitor, the only reason for picking up a 3rd / 4th 480 is for a higher Vantage Score or a 30" Native Res / Multi Monitor Config...

Many claim Sli 480's "over-kill" for 1920 x 1200, bit imo and experience, they allow FULL MAX settings in any game at that Res with very little "hit" on Framerates.....smaller monitor, indeed overkill

Last edited by rjbarker; August 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old August 15, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
So I think we can say that at 1920x1200 or anything lower you really only need 2 cards.

But if you have a 30", three will pay off, at least in Metro 2033.
Agreed. Although I'm curious how much of the benefits of a 3rd GPU in high resolution comes from the horsepower of the extra card, and how much comes simply from the extra buffer of the RAM. I don't know if there's a way to test that, but I'd wager that a couple 2GB 480's in SLi would stack up pretty well against 3-way 1GB cards on a 30"+ monitor. Perhaps, given the crazy resolutions that are becoming more commonplace is households, we finally have a reason to see huge RAM numbers on GPU's.
Old August 15, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Well I guess jcmaz has the biggest one around then, as he only uses "budget" systems?
You are a funny man!!! HAHAHA!!!

-Plato
Old August 15, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Agreed. Although I'm curious how much of the benefits of a 3rd GPU in high resolution comes from the horsepower of the extra card, and how much comes simply from the extra buffer of the RAM. I don't know if there's a way to test that, but I'd wager that a couple 2GB 480's in SLi would stack up pretty well against 3-way 1GB cards on a 30"+ monitor. Perhaps, given the crazy resolutions that are becoming more commonplace is households, we finally have a reason to see huge RAM numbers on GPU's.
It is 1.5GB for standard 480 so a 480 with more than 1.5 would be 3GB at the minimum.

If you guys looked at the 2 reviews posted in this thread you would clearly see that at 2560 x 1600 3 cards help a lot. Also at that res the 480 absolutely destroys the 5870 with AA on. This plus the poor tessellation performance is why ATI wants to get new cards out as soon as possible.

I want to get more cards but right now 2 is enough to play everything at max or near max. So when more demanding games come out I may just buy 1 more card.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old August 15, 2010, 02:25 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Agreed. Although I'm curious how much of the benefits of a 3rd GPU in high resolution comes from the horsepower of the extra card, and how much comes simply from the extra buffer of the RAM.
Adding cards in an SLI or Crossfire configuration does not increase the size of the framebuffer.
Old August 15, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
It is 1.5GB for standard 480 so a 480 with more than 1.5 would be 3GB at the minimum.

If you guys looked at the 2 reviews posted in this thread you would clearly see that at 2560 x 1600 3 cards help a lot. Also at that res the 480 absolutely destroys the 5870 with AA on. This plus the poor tessellation performance is why ATI wants to get new cards out as soon as possible.

I want to get more cards but right now 2 is enough to play everything at max or near max. So when more demanding games come out I may just buy 1 more card.
^^^ Sounds like we're on the same page Belgolas......we both have OC'd I7's running these in Sli and know just how potent they truly are....I'm still amazed everytime I load up a new game, load all settings on Max and play....wow....did you ever get to water?...That 140mm Side Intake I added into the side window has made a huge difference for me with temps...totally manageable...on the whole about the same at idle and around 8C to 10C warmer full load, than my 280's...

Old August 15, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ Sounds like we're on the same page Belgolas......we both have OC'd I7's running these in Sli and know just how potent they truly are....I'm still amazed everytime I load up a new game, load all settings on Max and play....wow....did you ever get to water?...That 140mm Side Intake I added into the side window has made a huge difference for me with temps...totally manageable...on the whole about the same at idle and around 8C to 10C warmer full load, than my 280's...
haven't got to water yet as coolit still hasn't released it yet. I am patient enough as I have only over heated it once and that was at a lan in a small room with no air movement so the ambient temp just kept rising. So I don't really need it but I just want it to see how far I can overclock.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old August 15, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Ah right... retarded moment. I was thinking 1.2 for some reason and stating 1 as a rounded number.