Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2010, 09:35 AM
Rookie

Default Can you educate me about integrated video?

I would appreciate if you could educate me regarding integrated video.

I understand some motherboard have integrated video functions. Would that be good enough for a non-gamer?

Also, I think I have read that the Core i3 has integrated video functions as well. How does that compare to motherboard based integrated video?

I use 2 monitors (DVI) and am interested in solutions that support at least 2 monitors.
Old August 3, 2010, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis54 View Post

I understand some motherboard have integrated video functions. Would that be good enough for a non-gamer?

Also, I think I have read that the Core i3 has integrated video functions as well. How does that compare to motherboard based integrated video?

I use 2 monitors (DVI) and am interested in solutions that support at least 2 monitors.
yes.. it works for me.. i don't game

im unsure if i3.
my boards are onboard ati 4200 . i think 4200 supports dual.. i better dbl check that though ..or very cheap gpu will werk

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old August 3, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis54 View Post

Good enough for a non gamer? Yes, definitely. It eats a bit of system ram though

Quote:
Integrated graphics solutions, shared graphics solutions, or Integrated graphics processors (IGP) utilize a portion of a computer's system RAM rather than dedicated graphics memory. These solutions are less costly to implement than dedicated graphics solutions, but are less capable. Historically, integrated solutions were often considered unfit to play 3D games or run graphically intensive programs but could run less intensive programs such as Adobe Flash. However, today's integrated solutions such as AMD's Radeon HD 3200 (AMD 780G chipset) and NVIDIA's GeForce 8200 (nForce 710|NVIDIA nForce 730a) are more than capable of handling 2D graphics from Adobe Flash or low stress 3D graphics[12]. However, most integrated graphics still struggle with high-end video games. Chips like the Nvidia GeForce 9400M in Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro and AMD's Radeon HD 3300 (AMD 790GX) have an improved performance, but still lag behind dedicated graphics cards. Modern desktop motherboards often include an integrated graphics solution and have expansion slots available to add a dedicated graphics card later.

As a GPU is extremely memory intensive, an integrated solution may find itself competing for the already relatively slow system RAM with the CPU, as it has minimal or no dedicated video memory. System RAM may be 2 Gbit/s to 12.8 Gbit/s, yet dedicated GPUs enjoy between 10 Gbit/s to over 100 Gbit/s of bandwidth depending on the model.

Older integrated graphics chipsets lacked hardware transform and lighting, but newer ones include it
Onboard video on motherboard sometimes will have VGA, DVI and HDMI ports. Sometimes you can use them all at once and sometimes you can't. You'll need to look into the specific motherboard you want and see what it says for capabilities.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Intel i3 yet, however...
Old August 3, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

usually the chipset contains the integrated video .. (at this point in time anyways)

but yes, for a non-gamer integrated is just fine.
Old August 3, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have access to 2 different computers using integrated video. One is an i3 530 and the other has HD 4200. From what I understood, the integrated video of AMD (HD4200) is more powerful than the one from Intel. However, there is no noticeable difference in terms of performance.
I know I have played blu-ray movies on the i3 530 system and it played fine (after having a few problems). Actually both systems managed to play Starcraft 2 on low details.

As others have said, you need to check to be sure that the mobo you choose supports the use of 2 digitals output at the same time. Usually there is no problem for VGA + DVI or VGA + HDMI, but HDMI + DVI isn't the norm. I doubt you will find an integrated mobo with 2 DVI connections, so you will have to use some HDMI to DVI cable.
Old August 3, 2010, 02:23 PM
Banned
F@H

well if you need to do anything but regular gaming, or at least titles that came out in the last 5 or so years? no problemo.

if you need to build a computer on the cheap, drop a thread in the appropriate section. well jump on it like flies on suga.
Old August 3, 2010, 05:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you play very light games, and don't do anything really visually intensive (Email, etc.) an integrated GPU is fine. However, you can get a dedicated unit for pretty cheap, and it is quite likely to be worth a thought.
Old August 3, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Integrated video is great for everything but gaming and heavy video/photo work. For example, the integrated GMA 4500HD found in almost all Intel notebook solutions is specifically designed to run Aero, full 1080p HD content, etc. without a hitch and all at a very low power envelope.