Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2010, 01:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default whining / squealing video card (5870)

Considering that I am trying to build a very quiet PC, I'm not having too much luck. First I get a noisy SSD, now my video card is squealing like a stuck pig.

I tested the video card out on air first just in case it was DOA. When the card worked, I proceeded to install an EK waterblock on it.

The card works just fine, but when it is under heavy load it makes some noise. I have known this to happen with other video cards, but not to this extent. I think it is just "capacitor whine" or vibration in the card.

In games it is just barely noticeable, but when I run a stress test like the one in atitraytools or atitool, it is very loud, check out the vid below.

I've read around the web that this is not an uncommon problem with newer cards, but the only suggestion I found to remedy the issue is to "put non-conductive thermal paste between the capacitors to dampen the vibration". no one actually said it worked, it was just a suggestion.

I am hoping someone else has had this problem before and can tell me what to do. The card is a 5870 from HIS. It is a reference card.

Old July 29, 2010, 01:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Happens with a lot of cards and yes the whine can be VERY noticeable and VERY loud.
Old July 29, 2010, 04:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What people used to do to silence Geforce GTX285's/etc was coat the whole VRM section in fingernail polish.. though I have yet to see anyone subject a 58xx to that.
Old July 29, 2010, 06:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have access to the discrete components while the card is running? If so, you can try to isolate the noisy components by "lightly" pressing on the individual caps with the erasure end of a pencil (should kill the noise if you find the right one(s) ).

If you do find the offending part, I'd suggest something like a 2 part epoxy to stabilize it.

The other question I'd have is if you've tried a different (better) PSU... If your current PSU is being pushed too hard, it might be putting out dirty power which would make the vid card power components work harder to regulate the power.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 29, 2010, 10:49 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

There are things you can do to reduce the noise, but it basically requires gluing down parts of the card which is not something I would recommend. If you're comfortable with it, then that's up to you, but there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First of all, capacitors don't whine. You should never coat a capacitor in glue or epoxy. The only things that will whine are perhaps the chokes on the card, which look like little gray or black boxes. Try to avoid getting anything on the PCB or other components, and make sure that nothing you do interferes with the heatsink and prevents it from mounting properly.
Old July 29, 2010, 12:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My card used to squeal, but only when I opened Crysis, and only during the intro, once I was in the game it didn't squeal anymore. Have you thought about contacting HIS and seeing if they'll send you a replacement. I don't know what they're warranty is like but it's worth a shot.
Old July 29, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri5cui7 View Post
My card used to squeal, but only when I opened Crysis, and only during the intro, once I was in the game it didn't squeal anymore. Have you thought about contacting HIS and seeing if they'll send you a replacement. I don't know what they're warranty is like but it's worth a shot.
Not worth it. They will all do it.
Old July 29, 2010, 02:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I initially thought it was a power issue at first so I tried a different psu. That made no difference, so I tried a completely different power circuit in the house. That did not help either. I also tried a different pcie slot, but again, no difference.

I tried pressing on each component that is accessible with a rubber eraser, but nothing made a difference.

I didn't notice this noise with the stock cooler on, but I only tested it for a short time. I think I'll try switching back to the stock cooler and see if that makes a difference.

I have considered RMAing it, but there's not much point if it is a common issue.

The noise bugs me as the pc is very quiet. The next loudest thing are the nexus 140mm fans with the low noise adapter on.
Old July 29, 2010, 03:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you're looking for a way to make the noise less annoying (relative of course), I've got a DFI Dark motherboard I could sell you..... You'd probably never hear the card over the squeal that puts out under load.... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 29, 2010, 06:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If you're looking for a way to make the noise less annoying (relative of course), I've got a DFI Dark motherboard I could sell you..... You'd probably never hear the card over the squeal that puts out under load.... ;)
lol. The offer is appreciated, but not quite the solution I was looking for.

Anyway, I thought it was odd that I could hear noise while booting up and even when opening the start menu etc, so I pulled the 5870 and installed my old 8800gtx.

when running high FPS or full load, like in a benchmark or atitools, that noise is still there!!!! slightly different pitch, but its there nonetheless. Obviously not the video card.

Since it's not the PSU, power circuit, or video card...... Gotta be the mobo?

I installed the card in the lower PCIE socket, and It sounds like the noise is coming form around the southbridge area, but is difficult to pinpoint. I tried the eraser trick on every component in that area that I could access, but I am starting to fear that it is actually the southbridge chip?

I emailed ASUS to see what they say. Not sure if a mobo waterblock voids the warranty? I never mentioned that it was watercooled.

Any suggestions now that it is the mobo lol. And I'm sorry, I guess this is now in the wrong section.