Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2010, 07:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Red face Video Cards

Yeah, nice review as always SKY! This card looks good and comes with a nice case and parts. That said, it loses its luster after seeing the performance reviews. On top of that, the price/performance just doesn't add up. Perhaps as you mentioned, $900. That is still pretty high, but $1200. I'll be keeping my money for something more practical, and could get a pair of 5870s and a SSD for that. I could also get a pr of 480s and still have some money left over for say, some beer!!!
I must admit that I like the look though, so it's got my vote that way.
Old July 26, 2010, 08:13 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

If you want my opinion on that Sky you just have to look backwards in time and find the word "sideport" that was thrown around way back during the 4870X2s. In a nutshell, a direct interconnect between the two GPUs would eliminate the need for a PLX chip at all - Asus should have spent their money fixing that, rather than wasting their time on a chip that adds latency (and possibly reduces bandwidth).

I say bandwidth because im still one of the ones that wonders "whats the best that can be had?". Regular 5970s are still plagued with problems when running two of them together in crossfireX due to the bandwidth limitations of the single crossfire bridge on those cards and possibly from the PLX chips they use as well. I wonder though if this newer PLX chip on the Ares could solve that problem... but I doubt it.

Dump the PLX I say. Find a way to directly interconnect the GPUs and you'll have a winner. The Ares is just an example of "this is the best we could with a bad design". Maybe someday, someone will actually go a step further and fix the design once and for all.
Old July 26, 2010, 08:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would say no more than $1000 but it would also need to have better (or at least equal) performance of 2x5870s as well.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old July 26, 2010, 09:19 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
If you want my opinion on that Sky you just have to look backwards in time and find the word "sideport" that was thrown around way back during the 4870X2s. In a nutshell, a direct interconnect between the two GPUs would eliminate the need for a PLX chip at all - Asus should have spent their money fixing that, rather than wasting their time on a chip that adds latency (and possibly reduces bandwidth).
Sideport was removed from RV870.
Old July 26, 2010, 09:40 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Sideport was removed from RV870.
Morons. That would have been the best way to get rid of the PLX chip. Why can't they just make crossfire a multi-connect bus like hypertransport or QPI links? Allow each gpu core to communicate directly (and to multi others) and the latency is gone, performance improved, etc. Oh well...
Old July 26, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Another great review SKYMTL.

To be honest as soon as I seen the price of this card I was put off, I did read the first two pages then looked at the stats then read the conclusion which was so true.

From my point of view ASUS seemed to be allot more concerned about the bragging rights then that of the consumer, and like I said I didn't read all of the way through this review so I cannot say anything of the actual parts in\on this card but I would really hope that all of the parts are top of the line for that price. I guess that also allot of the expense would go to the developers but geeze that is one very very expensive card .
Old July 26, 2010, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the price of it is definitely the best Asus could have done. You obviously aren't getting the best price/performance. That's what happens in the high end. Diminishing returns. It seems like a very fair price for a totally custom card that comes with such bragging rights. It is the BEST card in the world. No other way around it. That (plus the extremely expensive [? really sky? that much?] heatsink and other bonuses) makes it "worth" $1200 IMO. I would never expect it to be better than a "crude" crossfire setup so to speak.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:25 AM
MVP

I really have no idea of how much money this card cost to manufacture but if I was going to buy one based on load temperature and peformance $750-800. More than likly though I would buy 2x 5870 with lifetime warranties if I was in the bleeding edge market.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

In fairness to ASUS, this card does what it's supposed to do (Fast single card solution), the only other single card solution which even makes it onto the charts (5970) is bottom of the pack in all of the charts, and only manages to breach the 10%+ performance deficit in a couple of the minimum framerate benchmarks across the entire spectrum of tests.

No matter what we think of the price, I'm sure they'll have no problems selling out of a limited run. Cards like this aren't meant for the likes of us (well most of us anywise.... ;) ), they're marketed towards those folks who absolutely have to have the fastest card on the market, and in some cases, those folks are looking for single card solutions.

Is it too expensive? I certainly think so, but then again, I'm not the target market.

With all that said.... kudos to SKYMTL for doing a full featured review that not only included the only single card competitor, but also included practical comparisons to solutions which aren't single card. It certainly saves folks the grunt work of going through older reviews armed with these benchmarks in order to try to find the comparisons.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; July 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old July 26, 2010, 12:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm willing to bet one of the more crazy people will mod the ASUS cooler to be watercooled...