Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 22, 2010, 10:54 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Goodbye Nvidia?

Just read this article
SemiAccurate :: GF104/GTX460 has a huge die
I thought it was interesting. What do you guys think?
Old July 22, 2010, 11:00 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think it's full of BS with some small truths.

Looks like Charlie lost his contact at TSMC and is making stuff up again by throwing a wall of text at the reader to cover all his bases.

Last edited by SKYMTL; July 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old July 22, 2010, 11:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah the site is called semi-accurate for a reason. The fact he is only semi-accurate in anything he ever says. If you look at his site he is a massively pro ati support and massive anti nvidia.
Old July 22, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yawn. Fanboi ranting on a fanboi site. Same old Same old. He cant complain about the performance so it HAS to be unprofitable or he loses his sites traffic. All those kiddies need their red Kolaid from somebody....might as well be him! At least then its easy to know what site(s) to avoid if you want impartiality.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 22, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In some way this make kind of sense but you have to find the troll in the truth and use only some of the true info. I would like to see those scientific mesure of the die seriously before thinking anything. not you??

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 22, 2010, 01:08 PM
Banned
F@H

well the smaller the die more youll fit on a waffer=cheaper per waffer per die. sub 200 dollar cards dont bring as much profit, but they seem to sell a lot so numbers vs less numbers and pricier. id go for the gf104 way if i had the choice. easier to make a sale on a 200 dollar product that doesnt require your own nuke station and its not outside the price range of many

gf106 will be interesting, they say, if priced right. if.
Old July 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i'm not an ati fanboi, but i'm not overly happy with my nvidia gtx 480 vs my ati 5870 all things considered ati wins this round for me.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old July 24, 2010, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM12G View Post
Just read this article
SemiAccurate :: GF104/GTX460 has a huge die
I thought it was interesting. What do you guys think?
Yawn. More FUD from Charlie. Sort of reminds me of when he said that NVIDIA couldn't make GTX280s profitably:

Get your complete gtx280 scores here - The Inquirer

Quote:
WE HAVE BEEN dogging Nvidia's new chip for a while for being too big, too hot, too slow, and unmanufacturable. It is all of that, and you will know why we said that in a few weeks.
If you want to read NVIDIA can't manufacture cards or make money, Charlie is the guy to read.

Funny how NVIDIA always ends up selling lots of the cards and making money. It's an epic mystery- the world market leader seems to know more about it's business than some guy pretending to be a tech journalist.
Old July 24, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

It's amazing what some people will do to discredit someone/something that they simply don't like for whatever reason. No big deal with that. My problem is that some people will actually believe the c&^&%p that these guys put out. Luckily there are sites like this one that end up disproving these clowns with simple straight forward facts and results based on truth and not hype.
Old July 26, 2010, 04:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think it would actually be realistic and believable if he provided figures as to how much each mm^2 of die costs and more details regarding the yield and full assembly costs of the card. NVIDIA (just as an example) might be recuperating their 'losses' on dies through a more refined manufacturing process for their PCB's etc. That and i doubt their just sitting around waiting to get "swatted" by Southern Islands, NVIDIA ususally have a pretty proactive R&D and Marketing department (save for the Fermi release of course) and will more than likely have something of relative performance under their sleeves when the 6 series is released. Haha gotta love the way he comments on them running out of funding as if he has access to all their financial data, IMO mostly unsubstantiated and fantastical.