Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2010, 10:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default StarCraft II GPU Performance Comparison Comment Thread

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is right around the corner and is bound to be one of the most popular PC games of the last few years. In this article we take a look at this game's performance with a number of today's most popular graphics cards. Who will come out on top? The answer might surprise you......

[ Read full article ]
Old July 18, 2010, 11:37 PM
MVP

Nice, I was planning on keeping an eye out for a cheap GTX 460 1GB for my new computer and I am really looking forward to starcraft. Good to see they will play very nicely together.
Old July 19, 2010, 12:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would have liked to see a comparison between raw unit count on-screen, personally I've seen some big hiccups when going from 30 units to 300 units. You will say, "but that's unrealistic and unnecessary", however (if I'm not mistaken, if you have tested this then I'm sorry I didn't see it and I withdraw my statement) benching the game with 3 people and 30 units is far from worst case scenario. Custom maps can see 10 players with the max unit cap (200) or more, since the new editor uncaps the 200 supply limit without leading to the infamous CCMU (Cannot Create More Units) problem due to the lack of memory.

If this was tested again then I apologize, I didn't see it. All I'd like to point out is that on an average res of 1680x1050 with GTX 285's in SLI, sometimes I see 40 FPS, which obviously isn't a perfect scenario, but it makes me wonder how unit count on screen affects performance.

An excellent review for what should be a new era of Epic RTS. Thanks!
-Corsair H-50 + 2x Cooler Master R4
-Asus RoG Rampage III Extreme
-6GB OCZ Platinum Triple Channel DDR3-1600 [7-7-7-20]
-2x EVGA GTX 295+ Quad SLI
-Corsair HX-1000
-WD 160GB Raptor 10000RPM
-WD 1000GB Black 7200RPM

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1249140.png
Old July 19, 2010, 12:20 AM
Banned
F@H

tgheres just no way the 460 can hang with the big boys like that lol. well before you turn on all teh eye candy. but still.

did expect ati to do well fps/watts wise.

nice review preview thingie
Old July 19, 2010, 12:53 AM
Top Prospect

YES GTX470 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 19, 2010, 04:57 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

No in game AA?! Are they living in a cave over at Blizzard.
Old July 19, 2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheGG View Post
I would have liked to see a comparison between raw unit count on-screen, personally I've seen some big hiccups when going from 30 units to 300 units. You will say, "but that's unrealistic and unnecessary", however (if I'm not mistaken, if you have tested this then I'm sorry I didn't see it and I withdraw my statement) benching the game with 3 people and 30 units is far from worst case scenario. Custom maps can see 10 players with the max unit cap (200) or more, since the new editor uncaps the 200 supply limit without leading to the infamous CCMU (Cannot Create More Units) problem due to the lack of memory.

If this was tested again then I apologize, I didn't see it. All I'd like to point out is that on an average res of 1680x1050 with GTX 285's in SLI, sometimes I see 40 FPS, which obviously isn't a perfect scenario, but it makes me wonder how unit count on screen affects performance.

An excellent review for what should be a new era of Epic RTS. Thanks!
I would say there were times with 125 - 175 units onscreen at once but getting more than that with 4 players was a bit tough. However, once the retail product ships and I am able to set up custom games against an AI opponent(s), hitting that insane number will be much easier. Seriously, expect a unit number comparison as well as CPU clock speed scaling info in an upcoming article after the game ships.

For the time being the goal of this article was to give people an idea of an upgrade path before the game comes out so they aren't stuck with insufficient GPU power when the buy the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
No in game AA?! Are they living in a cave over at Blizzard.
I actually don't think this game needs AA but to each their own...
Old July 19, 2010, 07:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Is Starcraft 2 being launched only in DX9? That seems a little odd and well old technology would it not?
Old July 19, 2010, 07:46 AM

DX9 only and it isn't that odd considering they want it to be accessible to as many people as possible. For RTS games and for what Blizzard want to accomplish, DX10 and DX11 really aren't necessary.
Old July 19, 2010, 08:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah but there are a lot of games that are available in DX9, DX10 and DX11, why not have it too?