Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2010, 03:31 PM
Rookie

Default Video card problem? (gtx 470)

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time here with my new gtx 470. Every time I play a game the computer will reboot at some point, if I'm lucky if it lasts 30min(actually in Metro 2033) but most of the time its like 3mins(company of heroes seems to shut of quick). I previously had an 8800gtx and I could play a game all day with that one. Now what I'm not sure of is how to tell if its the video card or possibly something else like the power supply, I have a gamerXstream 600w and its maybe 2 years old. Are there any things I could do to tell that its the psu or video card, at one point I was able to run unigene and it looked like I got some pretty good scores. My processor is an e6750 and had it clocked at 3.5ghz. RAM seems ok and its downclocked. I will also say that every once in a while my computer won't post(beep) and even changing video cards didn't help it post, but it eventually does.

I'll take in any comments you have to offer because either I have to return this card(Direct Canada) or attempt buying a really nice new psu.

Thanks.
Old July 18, 2010, 04:02 PM
Banned
F@H

probably psu but one gtx470 should be doable on it day and night. hows temps? load up furmark and look at the 12v rail in everest. big huge dip? psu. very warm gpu wise? 470

or extra heat from the gpu goes into case and affects somethign else :shifty:
Old July 18, 2010, 04:13 PM
Rookie

Hey dangtx, My temps seem to be pretty good...I run the fan at around 70% so I haven't seen the temps on the card go higher than 70s. I have run kombuster and prime95 for a little while watching the +12 and it fluctuated a little but the lowest was 12.22 but the funny thing is the last time I ran this I stopped both bench-marks and closed everything and my screen when blank for like 20sec and then the computer restarted. Would that be a psu thing because it seemed like I could run the benchmarks forever but once I closed them(dropped the load) it restarted and in games the load is probably fluctuating so its the same kind of thing?
Old July 18, 2010, 04:55 PM
Banned
F@H

if you loaded up prime and kombustor...and no issues? hmmmmm

run memtest,check drives. load defaults in bios? could be drivers. very interesting
Old July 18, 2010, 05:15 PM
Rookie

I have tested my ram with memtest before all this and it seemed fine and these things seem to happen no matter what my bios settings are...I have noticed one thing though I'm not sure if it is just normal but just now I shut off the computer and it wouldn't post again and if I put my ear to the psu there is a sound almost like a light screeching sound and earlier I didn't hear the sound and it booted no problem. Is that type of sound normal when the computer is off after being used for a while? Maybe just a coincidence with the booting problem?
Old July 18, 2010, 05:30 PM
Banned
F@H

swap psu. ocz is very good with rma as well if need be. the buzzing can be normal on some units, fyi.
Old July 18, 2010, 05:40 PM
Rookie

Ok well since I was planning on possibly getting a new psu in the future for SLI I might just get a good one now and find out the hard way if it is the psu or not. I don't have another psu to test with and I really can't figure this problem out. Thanks dangtx, I guess I'll update this if I fix the problem.
Old July 18, 2010, 06:14 PM
Banned
F@H

havent actually done anything lol

try to swap before. you might find a store willing to secure a possible future customer with trying a used good unit they have laying around :)
Old July 18, 2010, 06:17 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds like the psu.. My 470 runs at 92deg C. and i have no probs with it when i play games.. if you still think your psu is good make sure you uninstalled all the drivers for your old video card before installing the new 470 drivers. other wise i think it is your psu too. good luck.
Old July 18, 2010, 06:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I never trust OCZ PSU's. Too many issues with them in the past.