Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2010, 11:17 AM
MVP

Default who expert of X850 XT pci-express?

who expert of X850 XT pci-express?

i got X850 XT non-PE. theres a plug wire attachment to the card that seems to be for connecting to power supply. however i never plug that to psu since 2006 and been fine.

i am curious if i supose to plug it to the psu? and what negative impact i have if i dont plug?

i did not know what that plug attachment is for back then so i did not connect it to psu. i just plug the other end to the card and the other end left hanging. is that ok? its been ok since 2006 though.
Old July 17, 2010, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should plug it in into your PSU... What you're doing right now. You risk killing your card.

Question. If you've been here for so long and had over 380 posts, why is it that you don't know these things?
Old July 17, 2010, 11:35 AM

My System Specs

Do you have a picture of this plug?
Old July 17, 2010, 11:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The pci-express slot on the motherboard can only provide 75watts to your card.which could be unsafe,although i am unsure of the x850xt's wattage requirements
Old July 17, 2010, 11:56 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The card shouldn't even allow your PC to boot without that power connection attached. Hook it up to your PSU ASAP.
Old July 17, 2010, 01:30 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The card shouldn't even allow your PC to boot without that power connection attached. Hook it up to your PSU ASAP.
yeah now reminds me of forgot to mention to say this.....

..........my modern card is 8800 GTS 512mb and i notice when i dont plug the wire to neither end... just throw it off... install card alone and it wont boot. so tried using the wire and plug card then other end to psu and it boot.

so i am concern about the X850 XT.... why is that when i only plug wire to the card and other end hanging, it boot! but on 8800 GTS when i plug wire onc ard and other end not to psu, it dont boot! i dont understand. what makes X850 XT so special?

I am wondering about this for a long time but never attempt to find out. been suspictious of the wire of the X850 XT i mean. I did not plug in the other end to the psu yet it boot! and runs since 2006 till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrapist View Post
The pci-express slot on the motherboard can only provide 75watts to your card.which could be unsafe,although i am unsure of the x850xt's wattage requirements
wow but how the heck i manage to not plug the other end since 2006 to now and still work? well hearing that it can harm my system... i better plug the other end to the psu now.

who ask about picture? i dont have camera currently.

Last edited by hohohee; July 19, 2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old July 17, 2010, 05:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have an X850XT that I keep around for testing and such. I have accidentally booted up with the PCI power unplugged and it boots up. Not good for the card I wouldn't think, but it is normal for the card.
Old July 17, 2010, 07:01 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
I have an X850XT that I keep around for testing and such. I have accidentally booted up with the PCI power unplugged and it boots up. Not good for the card I wouldn't think, but it is normal for the card.
oh so its normal to boot without pluging to psu. i dont plug to psu.. only 1 end to the card and been running since 2006 to now and no problem. i have no idea that its not good for it. glad i got confirmation. been wondering for a long time.
Old July 17, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Some cards might boot without the 6 pin connector but some might not. Don't quote me on this (i don't really remember), but it was either the 9600GT or 4850 that booted into windows but told me that i forgot to plug the 6 pin. Therefore technically it would work, but not to its maximum performance.

Slightly off topic, but OP should really proof read before they post. (No offense... but it is kinda hard to read)

-Plato
Old July 17, 2010, 08:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Question. If you've been here for so long and had over 380 posts, why is it that you don't know these things?
He's usually a troll, but sometimes he'll ask a question he legitimately wants answered. It's hard to tell which is which lately. He's pretty much a genius.