Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2007, 07:54 PM
Trial Member

Default Question about power requirements (specifically HD2600 Pro)

I am trying to get straight information for a friend regarding the power requirements for an Sapphire HD2600 pro. The friend has a generic PSU rated at 500W (I know I know, not all PSUs are born equal ). What I am trying to find out is how many amps on the +12v he needs so that when he goes out an gets a new PSU he can be certain.

And as an aside, if a PSU gives two values for the +12v does that mean that PCIe can, in theory, put out the combined total on just PCIe connector?
Old November 27, 2007, 09:27 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

He wiull be fine as long as he is not running a massively overclocked system. On the other hand, it is recommended that you stay away from generic PSUs.

Quote:
And as an aside, if a PSU gives two values for the +12v does that mean that PCIe can, in theory, put out the combined total on just PCIe connector?
In THEORY yes....but this is not usually the case since there are other components drawing from the same +12V rails. Take a pic of the side of the PSU with the label on it. Dual +12V rail generic PSUs are not a common sight.
Old November 27, 2007, 09:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Where the 2600 Pro is concerned, I'd say the processor itself is likely to draw more power. But if you want to work with an absolute worst-case scenario, the card can't possibly draw more than 6 A, since it has no extra power connectors, and is limited to the PCI-E slot's 75W maximum. But the card definitely pulls well under that, even at maximum load.

If you look at this page, you can see that Anandtech measured a power draw of 149 W for an entire system with the 2600 Pro, and that was including a 2.93 GHz Core 2 processor. It's hard to say how much of that the card is responsible for, but even a "tiny" 300W power supply shouldn't break a sweat over that kind of work.