Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2010, 03:05 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default XFX RMA replaced card has same issues.

So if you guys have seen my post in the BST section, you guys know that I was selling a 4890, it turns out that that card was faulty (the card was in a system that had a CPU [amd socket A chip] that bottlenecked the system which included the graphics card, that's why I couldn't see the distortions and particles, when I popped it onto my i7 system all the issues showed up)

Okay, this is when the story begins,

I send an RMA request to XFX and all is well, I was patient with them, and they were serving me well. I sent in my card, and 1 week later I get a message saying that my card was faulty and they are going to replace it. I ask XFX what they are going to replace my card with, and they avoid the question and answer another question that I asked within the same post. Well 1 week after that, I got the replacement card, hoping it was a 5770 I was disappointed to see the same model of the 4890. I was disappointed but I thought to myself if XFX sent me another one of these cards it must be alright. So I popped it into my computer, had the relevant drivers installed... and then I start up (separately of course) Crysis, BFBC, and L4D... and long and behold I get particles, distortions within the space of the game, and even my system locked up.

I've been patient, I've done all the necessary things to prove that I had a faulty card, and I paid for shipping to them without complaints (I know that I have to pay for shipping). Now I'm asking you guys, is it too much to ask for more now? Perhaps more than a 5770 and free shipping to them and back? I mean I don't want to sink another 20 bucks into shipping...

I understand that I shouldn't be so demanding especially when they could just tell me off, I mean what do they have to lose? A customer? lol. I bought this card because reviews on the XFX warranty service were good, and a salesman suggested XFX was the best choice of all the companies (of course we have to take the price into consideration too... I know EVGA has an awesome warranty policy)

This whole thing could have been avoided if the jackass that did the testing on my card checked if the card that he was going to use to replace mine worked properly first.

My fault? Their fault? Am I asking for too much? Constructive opinions please =D

Edit: I read another post about how this other guy was having trouble with the XFX support, however I wasn't getting the issues he was having, but I browsed and saw a telephone number which will come very handy later, after I get a general census of what others think

Thanks!

Here are the pictures and videos of the issues I was having: Link

Old July 15, 2010, 05:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Their warranty states that you you will receive the same product or greater, depending on stock. Sorry, but if they have stock of the 4890, you're going to get one. Don't ask for a 5770 as they will most likely not allow it.

Have you tested out all other variables like drivers, other hardware, etc. Check temperatures inside your case as well as the card may be getting too hot from minimal airflow.

But yes, you're asking for too much. Send it back in if you know it's the GPU.
Old July 15, 2010, 05:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You probably are asking too much, but at the same time they replaced a faulty card with by the sounds of it is another faulty card. I would maybe argue with them that they perhaps pay for the shipping both ways this time as they didn't RMA you a working product, but asking for an actual upgrade is going to be a little harder or potentially beyond what you should get.
Old July 15, 2010, 06:09 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That other guy was probably me. After almost 2 months of waiting (there were problems with UPS delivering my package) I finally got about a week ago my card back. They gave me the exact model back, but fortunately for me this time the card was flawless. Last time I contacted support, I asked them the exact same question you are having now, "if you guys send me a card back and it turns out to be faulty, will XFX assume ALL charges for shipping + handling to send the card back for replacement?" answer was yes
Old July 15, 2010, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 on kindly asking for free shipping back to them. I strongly suggest you remain polite when contacting their support staff.

I had RMA'd a WD drive twice (replacement died in a week) and asked for free shipping for the second RMA... they accepted, but it was well past the deadline they impose for advance RMAs
Old July 15, 2010, 11:07 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

fair enough, thanks guys!

Oh and it's not related to drivers and what not, because I've tried all the relevant drivers that ATI provides, from 9.12 to 10.6.... it got way worse with the 10.6 driver package. And it's not related to airflow because I have an open bench setup right now, and my room temps are not high. The card idles at 42 degrees.

Last edited by feerof; July 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old July 15, 2010, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

XFX North America support phone number
800-880-3225 9am - 5pm PST.

Try their phone number and be polite like the other guys said.

G'luck!!!

-Plato
Old July 15, 2010, 01:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

the number always brings me to a 'beep beep beep...' sound... does that mean someone else is on the line?