Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2010, 01:39 PM
Trial Member

Unhappy XFX RMA

My XFX 8800 gt is dead and I logged a support request for a NA RMA . It has been 60+ hours and there's still no response (the support site state ~24 hours). there are some XFX support history in this forum and the initial response seem much shorter, like < 10 hours. How do you think about XFX support? Is it getting worse?

bw
Old July 13, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would follow up within a day. Remember that XFX no longer sells Nvidia parts so I don't know how they will fix your 8800. They may replace it with an equivalent ATI card.

Also remember that they may have a higher volume of customers now that they came to the ATI side (Nvidia owners plus a whole buttload of new ATI owners).
Old July 13, 2010, 01:45 PM

My System Specs

You started the RMA on the weekend. Almost no company has support on weekends. So the ~24 hours wouldn't even start till the beginning on the business day on Monday. It has been more than 24 hours but not a whole lot more.
Old July 13, 2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

I probably shouldn't comment since someone will scold me in here but does it mean anything that XFX is still selling XFX 9800GT cards (retail)? Maybe he'll get one those?
Old July 13, 2010, 02:10 PM
Banned
F@H

give it a couple working days. im usually very pacient, unelss its a week with no human answer.

they probably still have some 8800/9800 class cards, as they were made till quite late.
if not, a 5750/70 wouldnt hurt much :p
Old July 13, 2010, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You started the RMA on the weekend. Almost no company has support on weekends. So the ~24 hours wouldn't even start till the beginning on the business day on Monday.
+1 to this. I wouldn't worry unless you haven't heard back by tomorrow end of day. Also, make sure you check on their website for replies, not just you email.

Quote:
I probably shouldn't comment since someone will scold me in here but does it mean anything that XFX is still selling XFX 9800GT cards (retail)? Maybe he'll get one those?
What you see in stores is just remaining stock. If they have something in stock to replace it with in the XFX warehouse, then maybe. But no more nVidia cards are being produced, so I doubt it.

Bottom line though, is that an 8800 is old enough that, if you get a replacement, it's likely to be an upgrade anyway. Even if it's an nVidia product, I'd guess at a 250 or better. Guess you'll have to wait and see.
Old July 13, 2010, 02:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Telephone. It's an amazing device. It's hard to ignore one ringing on the desk. :) I've always had much better luck phoning for a RMA than filling out an online form and hoping.
Old July 13, 2010, 04:28 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Remember that XFX no longer sells Nvidia parts
Since when do they not sell nVidia cards? As far as I know, they only decided not to sell Fermi cards.
Old July 13, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Telephone. It's an amazing device. It's hard to ignore one ringing on the desk. :) I've always had much better luck phoning for a RMA than filling out an online form and hoping.
They have a telephone number? What is it?

I have never seen it before....

-Plato
Old July 13, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Since when do they not sell nVidia cards? As far as I know, they only decided not to sell Fermi cards.
I believe you're right now that I think about it. Although I can't imagine even the budget cards will last long. I seem to recall a comment XFX made when releasing their limited edition 5970 about "seeing who really has the big guns". It was a pretty cutting comment to nVidia right after pulling out of their new market.

But this being the case, the OP may very well be able to get an 8800 or 9800 replacement.