Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2010, 04:26 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
You didn't read of the reports that the hardware is said to be inferior so that means (if true), they skimped out on the hardware quality as well.

I just googled on it and there seems to be a lot of disgruntled buyers of the card.

It will just keep happening if people keep buying the cards.

There's also reports of the warranty experience being poor as well.

Also, I said YMMV... so, you may have no issue with it (and said so).
That's why I bought a used XFX reference 5870. I win.
Old July 11, 2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
That's why I bought a used XFX reference 5870. I win.
I haven't read of XFX abandoning reference cards for the 5850. I was only talking about the 5770.

I also wonder if XFX has to pay ATI when they manufacture reference cards or if the process is just more expensive. Either way, they are cutting costs and there's no report or identification that the cards are now 'different'. That's my complaint.

Buyers just discovered it and some seem a bit annoyed (putting it mildly). I would buy a reference card to be safe and know that the card can be utilized by all the ATI-related utilities. Also, the parts/design is to spec and who knows what Manufacturer/Brand A decided to do different. One other reason is that I prefer the heat produced to go out of the case (although, that's now lesser on the priority ladder.). It's mostly a preference and since I think my case should be sufficient at cooling, it's not a priority. I just don't like how XFX has decided to handle the 'switch.' That might be fussy but these cards cost about $200 and the buyer is assuming they're getting A but they're actually getting B.
Old July 11, 2010, 05:59 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I haven't read of XFX abandoning reference cards for the 5850. I was only talking about the 5770.
XFX does it for everything they sell as far as I know, including the 5850 and 5870.
Old July 11, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

I also wonder if XFX has to pay ATI when they manufacture reference cards or if the process is just more expensive. Either way, they are cutting costs and there's no report or identification that the cards are now 'different'. That's my complaint.

Buyers just discovered it and some seem a bit annoyed (putting it mildly). I would buy a reference card to be safe and know that the card can be utilized by all the ATI-related utilities. Also, the parts/design is to spec and who knows what Manufacturer/Brand A decided to do different. One other reason is that I prefer the heat produced to go out of the case (although, that's now lesser on the priority ladder.). It's mostly a preference and since I think my case should be sufficient at cooling, it's not a priority. I just don't like how XFX has decided to handle the 'switch.' That might be fussy but these cards cost about $200 and the buyer is assuming they're getting A but they're actually getting B.

I do not see the problem with non reference. The non reference seems to be cheaper too.

ATI-Related utilities? Non references work just the same its just that they don't overclock as good.

Man, enough with the derail.
Old July 11, 2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
I do not see the problem with non reference. The non reference seems to be cheaper too.

ATI-Related utilities? Non references work just the same its just that they don't overclock as good.

Man, enough with the derail.
Okay, forget it then... feel free to steer topic back to warranty anytime.
Old July 11, 2010, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

The only thing I can agree on the original topic is that YES, it blows when a manufacturer or a etailer doesn't provide proper info about the products actually being shipped.

It's nice when the etailer points out for example (mobo rev. number, proper clock speed and any other particular info).

It's bad when they state "product can be different than the one on the picture".

I'd say, just be straight up! It's hard particularly for CPU steppings, when you don't know and it's the luck of the draw....I understand the reasons why tho...takes time and $$$.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old July 12, 2010, 07:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
The only thing I can agree on the original topic is that YES, it blows when a manufacturer or a etailer doesn't provide proper info about the products actually being shipped.

It's nice when the etailer points out for example (mobo rev. number, proper clock speed and any other particular info).

It's bad when they state "product can be different than the one on the picture".

I'd say, just be straight up! It's hard particularly for CPU steppings, when you don't know and it's the luck of the draw....I understand the reasons why tho...takes time and $$$.
That's true. But, with the cpu steppings, they vary don't they? At least, that was my impression. There might be a batch that is one stepping and then one that is the other. With the video cards, XFX is not producing the reference pcb ones anymore. So, there isn't any variation or doubt about which ones they are now. But, if you are not keeping tabs on what's going on, but want a reference card, you'll buy the 'other card.' Just my two cents.
Old July 12, 2010, 08:54 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
That's true. But, with the cpu steppings, they vary don't they?
No, once a new revision is introduced the old one is discontinued.