Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Nvidia SLI question

Hi folks. I have a friend who has a reference 295 from EVGA and I have a reference from XFX. Both with the same memory and frequency capacities. I would like to try them in SLI just for benchmarking/performance curiosity. Any problems with trying this? Appreciate the help.
Old July 3, 2010, 04:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Does not matter who manufacturered the cards so long as their the same type. In this case obviously both are GTX295's so you shouldn't have a problem so long as your board is capable (and PSU lol!) of running quad-SLI.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 3, 2010, 04:37 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Does yours have a centrally mounted fan? If so, there may be some compatibility problems with the original reference design cards.
Old July 3, 2010, 05:03 PM
Banned
F@H

someone back in the day mentioned about the single pcb with dual pcb's ones, but i havent followed up.

the connectors should lighn up, so unless the hs(as above) is modded/non reference/something special edition it should be ok.in theory.
Old July 3, 2010, 05:41 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
someone back in the day mentioned about the single pcb with dual pcb's ones, but i havent followed up.

the connectors should lighn up, so unless the hs(as above) is modded/non reference/something special edition it should be ok.in theory.
Whether or not the connectors line up is not the factor that decides if SLI will work.
Old July 3, 2010, 08:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well all of these fit in your case, might want to make sure it'll fit wherever you put it
Old July 3, 2010, 08:20 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post

It has to do with the BIOSes in this case.
Old July 3, 2010, 08:32 PM
Banned
F@H

so driver checks bios, gets 295 check and then enables it. worst case scenario you should be able to flash either, but not recommended if its running fine. now if that one bios(on either board) is only for that board, then its a bed of nails awaiting
Old July 3, 2010, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

Thanks guys. I couldn't see a reason for spontaneous combustion or sudden card launch, hehe. I'm currently running 2 5970s, so power should be ok, although if I'm not mistaken, the 295s actually draw more than them. Just curious about 3DMark results vs the others. I'm considering folding but understand Nvidia is much better. Can't imagine what some of those quad gpu systems will produce, but wouldn't mind seeing results from a test run of these either. If I can convince him to try it I'll let you know the results.
Old July 4, 2010, 02:48 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

keep in mynd your motherboard must support SLI as well